coffee creamer alternatives

Options

Replies

• tonicook890
    Options
    i use coffee mate light its 10 calories in a teaspoon and occasionally i use skim milk but it is water and the coffee mate with 2 teaspoons turns ur coffee a nice creamy color with less calories. Try it!!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Half and half. It is delicious and nutritious. Seriously, stay away from the non-dairy stuff since it is just chemically added calories to your diet.

Half and half has calcium and vitamin d and protein. Just work it into your calorie budget and eliminate fat from other sources such as cheese or butter.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    i use coffee mate light its 10 calories in a teaspoon and occasionally i use skim milk but it is water and the coffee mate with 2 teaspoons turns ur coffee a nice creamy color with less calories. Try it!!

I'm wondering if you are really just using 2 teaspoons? In an 8 oz cup of coffee, that would hardly add any color at all. I like my coffee dark, but tend to use at least 2 tablespoons at the minimum in an 8oz cup of coffee. That would be 60 calories for 2 tablespoons of coffeemate light-- the same as 2 tablespoons of half and half.
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I replaced creamer with creamer. Seriously...I tried alternatives and they sucked. I just refuse to compromise on my morning coffee.
  • fwalz3
    fwalz3 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    16oz black coffee - 10 calories

CoffeeMate French Vanilla Fat Free Creamer - 1 tblsp - 25 calories
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    skim milk.
    or drink it black...it will grow on you.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I refuse to give up my coffee/creamer. I use splenda ( NO, I don't fear artificial sweeteners) and I use sugar free International Delight's Vanilla creamer. It only has 15 calories in one tablespoon. So,,, 30 cals for a 2 cup mug, totally worth it.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Don't make your coffee as strong as you usually do. You will be able to use less half and half.

Yeah, make sure it's not too strong.

You don't have to "give up" creamer, just use less of it. Most of the powdered creamers I have are 25-60 calories per TBSP.

Usually, my coffee includes some skim milk and stevia... I've tried almond milk in coffee before but it tastes weird to me!

I love adding whipped on top, so yummy.... 2 TBSP of the one I have is 15 calories. I usually add 4 TBSP lol.

Anddddd, if your calories get to 200 - why not just have coffee and another small snack as your meal? Make it a 300-400 calorie breakfast. Or keep it at 200. =)
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I use 70-80 Cals of flavored creamer in 1 huge cup of coffee every morning. Refuse to give mine up. ;0)

This.

I will make upnthe calories somewhere else.
  • Allison22451
    Allison22451 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    im a cream in my coffee kinda gal too.
    well, was... until i discovered Davinci sugar free syrups.
    0 cals. 0 carbs.
    ive been doing two splendas and a one Tablespoon of Davinci syrup and much to my surprise i DONT miss the cream.
    you can find it at grocery stores and even walmart... and you can also order it online.
    it comes in LOADS of flavors:

Almond Sugar Free Syrup
    Amaretto Sugar Free Syrup
    B-52 Sugar Free Syrup
    Banana Sugar Free Syrup
    Blueberry Sugar Free Syrup
    Butter Rum Sugar Free Syrup
    Butterscotch Sugar Free Syrup
    Caramel Sugar Free Syrup
    Cherry Sugar Free Syrup
    Chocolate Sugar Free Syrup
    Cinnamon Sugar Free Syrup
    Coconut Sugar Free Syrup
    Cookie Dough Sugar Free Syrup
    Creme de Menthe Sugar Free Syrup
    Dulce de Leche Sugar Free Syrup
    Egg Nog Sugar Free Syrup
    English Toffee Sugar Free Syrup
    French Vanilla Sugar Free Syrup
    German Chocolate Cake Sugar Free Syrup
    Gingerbread Sugar Free Syrup
    Hazelnut (Original) Sugar Free Syrup (Untoasted)
    Hazelnut Sugar Free Flavored Syrup (Toasted)
    Huckleberry Sugar Free Syrup
    Irish Cream Sugar Free Syrup
    KAHLUA® Flavored Sugar Free Syrup
    Lime Sugar Free Syrup
    Macadamia Nut Sugar Free Syrup
    Orange Sugar Free Syrup
    Pancake Sugar Free Syrup
    Peach Sugar Free Syrup
    Peanut Butter Sugar Free Syrup
    Peppermint Paddy Sugar Free Syrup
    Peppermint Sugar Free Syrup
    Pineapple Sugar Free Syrup
    Praline Sugar Free Syrup
    Pumpkin Pie Sugar Free Syrup
    Raspberry Sugar Free Syrup
    Root Beer Sugar Free Syrup
    Strawberry Sugar Free Syrup
    Sweetener Sugar Free Syrup
    Toasted Marshmallow Sugar Free Syrup
    Vanilla Sugar Free Syrup
    Watermelon Sugar Free Syrup
    White Chocolate Sugar Free Syrup
  • shaneharrell
    shaneharrell Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Almond milk, only 9 calories in a 1/4 of a cup.
  • slackey77
    slackey77 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    What a great idea! I like the unsweetened vanilla almond milk in my cereal, I bet it would do great in coffee!
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    the almond milk idea is something i am going to have to try!!

Thus far I just treat my "fancy" coffee as a treat (ie: i get one..if i need more coffee it's just skim milk!)

OMG, almond milk in coffee is soooooooo good! I even found a local coffee shop that makes lattes with it! They are the BEST!
  • amybluehat
    amybluehat Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Same here, love the FF Half and Half, I use it in recipes that call for heavy cream and can't tell the difference. Not sure how the do it-rather wouldn't know!

I also will use flavored coffee if I want to mix it up.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I use heavy cream. 50 cals/tablespoon, but because it's so rich I only need 1/2 that amount to make my coffee creamy =)
  • like_milk
    like_milk Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have the rather controversial opinion that if you don't like your coffee black/pure espresso then you don't actually like coffee. I also don't believe in adding sugar to coffee either, unless it's really bad and you HAVE to drink it and not just throw it away because it's disgusting.

But that's just me and I'm possibly quite crazy when it comes to coffee. I love coffee for its rich, intense flavour, its slight fruitiness, a little smokey/nutty: it's like the morning version of a good red wine. Damn, now I want another coffee.

I don't really get what creamer is as I live in the UK and people here just add semi-skimmed milk to their coffee (including at coffee shops when you order a latte). At the end of the days those milky drinks are just deserts, like warm milkshakes with a ton of sugar and some mild coffee flavouring. You could probably buy coffee flavoured syrup and add it to milk! If you think about it like pudding it can become an occasional treat. But before then try gradually cutting down the amount of creamer you use and, well, drink from a smaller mug. If you're addicted to caffein then it's probably best to wean yourself off it anyway.
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    not all coffee is created equal! so many cheaper brands are bitter &/or nutty tasting.
    start with a good a brand of coffee. papa nicholas breakfast blend is fabulous!
    if you cant afford a better brand put a pinch of salt in the grounds before brewing. it will cut the bitterness.
    make it with COLD water when brewing.
    & if you cant drink it black, & want to skip the calories of creamer & sugar, try a pinch of nutmeg & cinnamon. :drinker:
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Sorry can't help at 45 calories a tbsp. I wouldn't give up my International Delight Hershey chocolate and caramel coffee creamer. I have 2 tbsp in my morning cup and is so worth the 90 calories.. Best of Luck though....

I just go their Southern Butter pecan creamer. YUM! Really, most of their creamers are under 50 calories a serving. And I use sweet and low rather than sugar. Will never give it up!
  • OrganicPopcorn
    Options
    How much freaking creamer are you putting in your coffee??!!

= D
  • eurikae
    Options
    I switched to black coffee and I found that if you drink it iced it really takes away the bitter taste. Also I learned a really weird trick from my mom (who also drinks black coffee)... if you put a pinch of salt in your coffee for some reason it takes out SO much of the bitterness.
    Also you can try using flavored coffee beans and just add a splash of almond milk. :)