Does anyone else have a spouse that sabotages you?

Options
I have a problem, my husband. He is constantly buying crap, pop, cookies, candy cake, brownies, chips. I haven't bought that stuff for almost a full year. But he does. For the most part I can resist but here lately I find it harder and harder. Especially when he makes comments like today he says..." I asked my brother if he saw the new pictures of you on facebook. He said no and thought there was nothing wrong with you before. I guess he likes big girls too." ...UGGGGGGG. I said, that was a really crappy thing to say I feel better about myself now than I ever have. "Well just remember i loved you even before all of this." Granted that would have been a nice thing to say normally but he said it in a way to make me feel I'm not attractive to him anymore.

I don't understand why he cant just support me in this. Is he nuts? Or am I nuts? Can anyone else relate?

Replies

• ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your pictures and you have made AMAZING progress. Congratulations! I'm sure the new you feels great. I assume your husband is the one in the photos with you... and I notice that he's a bigger guy. Maybe he's afraid now that you're so hot you'll leave him! haha! Is he interested in changing his health habits? Maybe he'd be happier with the way you are now if he knew how great it feels to lose weight. Just my thoughts.. best of luck!
  • bebhinn
    bebhinn Posts: 198
    Options
    It does happen... I think its rooted in a lot of things. Sounds to me like he might be a bit worried that your newfound self confidence may lead you astray. Which, of course if you think of it sensibly is ridiculous. You're committed to eachother! But, sometimes people get scared.

My partner is VERY supportive, but she has said the same/similar things to me :) Just keep doing what you're doing!
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I think he may be feeling a bit insecure. My husband brings home sweet treats when he knows I am trying. He has been alot better though. Tonight he brought home a dark choc Snickers....:grumble: .....I was able to take two bites and put it in the fridge. He sees I am trying and is coming along. He has even lost a little weight because of the way I am cooking and the groceries I am buying. Hang in there....hubby will come along when he sees you are doing this for your health and so you will have more to give to him and your family if you take care of yourself. You are doing just great. :flowerforyou:
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    First off, I saw your pics and CONGRATULATIONS!!! You look GREAT!! Awesome job on your weight loss! :flowerforyou:

As far as your husband is concerned, I wonder if maybe he's a little jealous of your success and maybe (subconscienously) feels threatened by it because (if that's him in the pic wih you in the white shirt) he feels you left him behind in your weight loss success. And I mean threatened in the sense that maybe he thinks you would leave him because you're now skinny and he's not. So you definitely need to talk to him and reassure him that's not the case and let him know you would love his support. Give him time and be patient and he may eventually come around and decide to be like you and lose weight. As far as his brother, I would just ignore him knowing that you did it for you and not anyone else. Again congrats on an awesome job and just hang in there!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    My husband has never said anything like that to me bet he didn't used to make healthy food decisions until I demanded that he help me with changing to a healthy lifestyle--something permanent that I could NOT do with out him. Making him feel like i NEEDED his help as well as the benefit for him of returning to his high school football body has finally got him on my side. We work out together and make healthy food choices. We are currently doing p90x which is a good balance between strength training and cardio and it works well for us. He also started bringing his lunch to work which has caused him to lose about 10 lbs (i'm only at 8 lbs). We are very competitive and that keeps us going too. Your husband could be jealous of the way you look. Just don't let him bring you down-it takes a lot of effort to be healthy and lose/maintain weight so pat yourself on the back and try to recruit your husband to be healthy with you. Good luck!
  • Fry24
    Fry24 Posts: 21
    Options
    Therapy.

Seriously.

You are obviously making huge improvements and positive changes in your life. Your husband obviously wants to communicate something to you and doesn't know how to effectively.
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys truth is he has gained most of his wt in the year Ive lost mine. When I try to lovingly bring it up he says "this is your life style not mine." Funny thing is two years ago he tried to get me to excersise with him and I wouldnt. Some days it makes me sad, others mad. Today it just stung a little thanks for being so supportive. Love y'all!
  • futuredispatchhottie911
    Options
    I am not married the person that sabotages me is my mom. I don't understand she wants me to lose weight but she fixes all this unhealthy things and tries to make me feel bad about not taking seconds.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Ha! I almost posted the same thing today! Mine is awful! I don't buy junk food (save for occasional snacks) because if it is in the house I will eat it all. I also only eat fast food about 1 time per month if that. He eats it daily if not more and often brings things home or goes and gets takeout. Even if I say I don't want it he still brings stuff or orders an entire extra pizza. I don't mind occasionally but not 2-3 times a week! He also brings home french fries and cheapo chicken nuggets and chips and tons of junk. He is really lazy and has no desire to enhance his health in any way but he is NOT supportive of me wanting to. He says I don't need to lose any weight but still teases me about being jiggly even though he knows I hate it. And me making it to the gym is not the top of his priority list by any means and I usually have to give up at least one of my three days a week for something or another, usually because my 2 yr old wakes up before I leave at 7 and I can't leave because no one else in the house will wake up and watch him. Anyway, right now, there are 2 leftover pizzas, and Chinese food in the fridge, 3 bags of chips, and when I asked him to grab me a chocolate at the store he brought home 4 of the GIANT (bigger than king size) Hershey's. I don't think it is insecurity here. I think he's just lazy and sometimes a little bit mean. It makes it doubly tough to stay away from the crap myself.
  • johnporcaro
    johnporcaro Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Here's a guy's perspective:

if I don't feel good about myself, and if I saw my spouse getting more and more attractive, it would make me feel guilty about myself, insecure about her thinking I'm unattractive/unhealthy, and jealous when others look at her. Nobody likes change, and while it's AWESOME to have a sexy spouse, it's not cool to think that I'M going to have to change to keep up with her. He's gotta know that he's not healthy (or as healthy as you), and that can be really threatening to a guy, because it feels like a lot of pain/suffering/pleasure denial to be healthy.

And here's a true confession: my wife is working out with me, and making great progress, and I'm sometimes tempted to sabatoge her progress a little. I feel a bit competitive, and I think she's working out only because I am, and it feels a bit patronizing. I'm not working out to get her praise, and I don't really want her working out just for me. I want to work out because I feel better, and I want her to work out to be healthy and to feel good about herself. And there's that twinge inside that knows that she's a lot more attractive when she's thin, and she won't need me as much when she's confident and healthy and attractive.

As for the food, I just won't eat anything I know isn't healthy. Even today, my wife made me grilled cheese and tomato soup, and I politely thanked her but told her I wouldn't eat it--too much salt, too many carbs. Just keep buying healthy food, and stay full on apples, plums, greek yogurt, etc.

You are amazing, you look beautiful, and you should feel proud every day that you're doing what's best for you, and your kids, and even your husband. Rock on!
  • Kath15
    Kath15 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Honestly, my husband is very supportive of my changes in lifestyle but fortunately not in a way that makes me feel bad about what I was doing before. All I have to say is congratulations on losing all that weight. You should be extremely proud of yourself -don't let anyone bring you down. I think maybe your husband is not that supportive because it makes him take a look at himself and feel more self conscious. Perhaps he doesn't feel the need to change his body, lifestyle and thinks that maybe you'll start pushing your new lifestyle on him....so he's pushing back. Another possibility that someone mentioned earlier was that maybe he doesn't want you to be more attractive to other men or your newfound self will lead you that way. It does sound inane, but you have to consider these things. Because, when you figure out what his reasons are then maybe you can figure how to work with him to see your side. After all, we need all the support we can get and it should start in the home. I hope everything works out and don't let this derail you on you journey!
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    My husband and I do everything differently--which is probably why we have been successfully married for 30 years! ;)
    - I follow this site, obsessively write down all foods, weigh and measure myself, and was briefing Hubby on all aspects of my weight-loss journey until he told me to stop talking about it. He said I could brief him about every three days. I have lost 20 lbs (10 before I got to this site).
    - He goes and builds a patio (digging in the ground, leveling it, moving the gravel in with shovels), shovels snow for weeks on end this past winter, and so forth. He bowls 4-5 days a week with different teams or our family/friends. He eats whatever he wants, including candy from this large Goose in the middle of our diningroom table. He would never tell me how much he weighs, but his pants are fitting better! ;)
    - He (sweet man) also ensures that I get my fat-free milk, V8 juices, any fruits and vegetables and other foods I want (he's the food-shopper in our family).
    While we do things very differently, we are both happy with our separate methods. Hope that example helps. BJB
  • stephlw
    stephlw Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My husband is very supportive. I couldn't do it without him on most days. On other days...like today. He waits until after my workout (when I am at my hungriest and most vulnerable) and says something like, "pizza buffet". I'm to tired to cook, I feel like a bad wife if I don't take him to go eat whatever he wants. I try on most days to grab subway and eat that while they eat buffet but..it is so hard.
    Today...I caved. I ate so much pizza I was sick to my stomach. Those are the days he doesn't help. Other times if he doesn't wanna share the ice cream or he knows I shouldn't eat something and wants to beat me up he will tell me how much I don't really need to eat it and how I should really be drinking water..
    thanks a lot mikey :)
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys truth is he has gained most of his wt in the year Ive lost mine. When I try to lovingly bring it up he says "this is your life style not mine." Funny thing is two years ago he tried to get me to excersise with him and I wouldnt. Some days it makes me sad, others mad. Today it just stung a little thanks for being so supportive. Love y'all!

You've done an awesome job. Those pictures show all the hard work you've done.
    I think you hit the nail on the head in your last message. You've been successful at losing weight, while he made an attempt and failed, and is now putting the weight back on.

Jealousy rears it's head often and yes some men are stupidly insecure.
    His response "it's your lifestyle is a BS answer" it can be a healthy lifestyle together, and it seems he wanted it previously 2 years ago.

Since he made an attempt previously and it didn't work out, try to bring back the points that you could remember why he wanted to lose weight. Have a serious talk with him, don't let him be joking around. Tell him you want to be healthy and you don't want to have that stuff in the house.

Maybe try to help him figure out where he went wrong before.
    Was it the exercise?
    Was it counting calories? or was he starving himself.

I know I'm eating A LOT more than I ever did before.
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I agree with thumper. The fact of the matter is you getting thinner than him and succeeding at something he failed at previously simply means that you're better than him. You're better than him - you succeeded at something he failed at, and you rub it into his face every day with all this healthy eating, exercise, and calorie counting. That's probably how he sees it and it's driving him crazy.

It's ingrained in our society that fat people are fat because they are lazy, weak-willed, and have disgusting eating habits. And that if they were good hard-working folk with strong wills they would be thin and in shape. Now I'm not saying this is true, it isn't true, but it's there - it's part of our culture, it's ingrained in our psyche and so your spouse is seeing that you are beating him and it's making him hate himself and so you are making him hate himself so he rebels against you and tries to sabotage you. Ultimately, the goal is that if you fail, get heavy again, he can relax, sit back and feel "see, you're just like me, you're no better, nice try but you can't be something you're not."

I guess my advice would be to get him to realize he will lose weight and if he just tries he'll beat you at this game. If his confidence can get up to the point where he feels he can get the upper hand, you'll see he'll work out like crazy. I'm not sure if he'll stop sabotaging you, but he won't be bringing junk home for himself and he probably won't be bringing it home to you for fear that it'll tempt him, so by him focusing on himself, he'd be helping you as well.
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    First off, I saw your pics and CONGRATULATIONS!!! You look GREAT!! Awesome job on your weight loss! :flowerforyou:

As far as your husband is concerned, I wonder if maybe he's a little jealous of your success and maybe (subconscienously) feels threatened by it because (if that's him in the pic wih you in the white shirt) he feels you left him behind in your weight loss success. And I mean threatened in the sense that maybe he thinks you would leave him because you're now skinny and he's not. So you definitely need to talk to him and reassure him that's not the case and let him know you would love his support. Give him time and be patient and he may eventually come around and decide to be like you and lose weight. As far as his brother, I would just ignore him knowing that you did it for you and not anyone else. Again congrats on an awesome job and just hang in there!

I agree 100%!

Have a place for your healthy food and a place for his snack food. That helps me pass on the junk my guy always buys. Keep telling him how much you love him, guys are like children they need to know they are loved. :wink: And ask him to do fun things with you that will get him active. Like a hike to a beautiful spot you can have a picnic. Volleyball on the beach. Get frisky in the pool and chase each other around in the water (a good calorie burn :bigsmile: ).
    Just a little time and he will come around I think, mine is slowly improving. :flowerforyou:
    You should be really proud of yourself. You are a being a healthy role model for your kids and now you will live a longer happier life for it!
  • WrenLynn
    WrenLynn Posts: 213
    Options
    I totally understand. I have the most amazing husband ever until it comes to me and my weight loss journey. He buys things I ask him not to and always says a little of it won't hurt you but it is too hard to just eat a little and it messes up the whole day nutritional wise. I have lost a total of 26 pounds now and just the other day he said ok enough already. I don't want you to lose anymore weight. I still have approximately 50 pounds to lose! I told him so and that I would be continuing and then maintaining my loss. I cleaned out my closet the next day and had two huge bags of nice clothes to take to Goodwill and he said I better just put these in the attic. I went off on him and told him to get them out of the house. If I keep those clothes I am admitting I will fail and gain it all back and when he said that I felt he really doesn't believe I can do this. That made me more determined than ever to prove him wrong! Although I am doing this for me. I deserve to be healthy. I deserve to be happy and I deserve to be supported! I will continue pounding that into his thick skull until he wises up!
  • robinsonmsn
    robinsonmsn Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your honesty. I'm trying to get my mate to stop hiding his snacks. There not the ones I like anyway. LOL .He's trying to be supportive but can't figure out how.....
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    No one can make you feel like anything unless you let them. Dont give them that kind of power over you. I think sometimes we just get insecure and thats probably all that is. But his insecurity isnt your problem. All you can do is reassure him that you love him and just pray to God to put it on his heart to want to be healthy too. Keep up the good work. Dont let anyone derail you. There are saboteurs all over the place.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,662 Member
    Options
    I would love nothing more than if my husband wanted to work out and eat better right along with me — because I care about his health and well-being — but he doesn't want to, at least not right now. Nagging him or complaining that he isn't being supportive isn't going to do either of us any good. I want this for me, but I can't expect the rest of the world to want it too just because it would be easier for me, and I have to be able to deal with temptations, whether they're at home, at restaurants, at relatives' and friends' houses, etc.