Replies

• Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    God i wish I had your problem :-)
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    If you're getting stronger, I would reevaluate your goals a little bit. Are five pounds really the deciding factor in your happiness?

I would gain 5 pounds right now if you told me I'd be able to go from no pushups to 20+ of them. It sounds like you've had amazing success so far, but you're not really enjoying it because of the scale

You could take some measurements, give it a month or two, and see how you compare. Or you could count your progress in how much stronger you're getting. Also, up your 30DS weights - when I do it I use 7 or 8 pound weights. If you're not sore it might be because you're not being challenged enough :)

Another thing to consider... at your age, you may have hips and things now, more-so than a couple years ago. It's just not feasible for most women to maintain the weight they had in their teenage years, because your body is a different shape, but it's still perfectly possible for you to look totally awesome

Personally, at 5'6", I've kept my weight at around 142 for the past 3+ months (started out around 150), but during those past couple months I have lost multiple inches off around my stomach. The scale is a false measure of your progress!

Good luck!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    If you want to build muscle, cut the cardio down and increase the food and lift heavy weights.

30DS won't do much for your muscles. Are you sore? You may not be losing since your muscles will retain water. Take some rest days.

If you do want to build muscle you can't focus on the scale.... it will not show progress.

I'm not really doing serious cardio - walking everywhere (as standard) plus one 5k run plus one zumba class a week. Is that really too much?

30DS hasn't made me sore since the first day, but it's not a walk in the park either. When I'm finished in 5 days I'll definitely get into a more sensible routine with rest days.

Most people consider 30DS cardio not weight lifting because it's low weight, high repetitions, and at a fast pace. I'd look into some body weight exercises you can perform at home.

Here are a few, but I'm sure there are a ton all over the internet:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/03/10/angry-birds-workout-plan/
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/12/20/the-20-minute-hotel-workout/
  • Gladius270
    Gladius270 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I also suggest checking out nerd fitness even if you are not a nerd. I think the original poster may want to read this:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

It will lay out the benefits of lifting heavy. I've been doing the Beginner Bodyweight Routine on that site and I am seeing some great physical results after just 3 weeks of it.
  • cuboids
    cuboids Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Some really great links and advice. Thanks so much guys! I'm going to re-evaluate my goals, get off the scale and keep at it.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Do you lift? I plateaued at 121-122lbs but when I started lifting, lowered my carbs, and increased protein I started losing again.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It does take a long time for the last few lbs because you should be aiming for 1/2 lb per week. Also, with 30DS you should either set your account to lightly active or eating an additional 200-300 calories on days you workout. More than likely, you need more than 1350.. probably closer to 1500-1600. Also, what are your goals? Strength, endurance, low body fat, more muscle.... this will determine the course you need to take.

If you want to build muscle, below are two threads that show what can happen. But I can tell you, you will not do it with 30DS and a calorie deficit.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

When I say 'build muscle', I mean for example that before I started 30DS I couldn't do a single push-up or a sit-up. Now I can do 20 push-ups and a lot of sit-ups (l must have good abs under there somewhere!). It's about starting small. The skinny fat v fit photo looks quite familiar in terms of build - maybe this is a bit like my situation.

My goals are to be kind of all-around fitter: to run 5k easily (getting there!), and to be able to see those abs. To actually have some muscle at all in my arms and a butt! Post 30DS I'll probably do Ripped in 30.

I feel fine on 1350, but it's good to know that I can get away with more if I need to.

Thanks for your advice!

Eating more it not really an option, it's more of suggestion as if you under eat, you cause greater stress on your body and make results harder. Large deficits = failure. Smaller deficits will nourish your body and allow for it to drop body fat. I lost a hell of a lot more body fat at 2500-2700 calories than I ever did at 1800 calories. And even though you might feel good, you are probably hurting your results. And since you really aren't seeing results at 1350, why not try 1600 for a month or two. Also, I would suggest adjusting macro's to around 35/40/25 c/p/f if you aren't around there. The additional protein will help maintain muscle.

Also, you are increasing strength, not gaining muscle ;)
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    If you want to build muscle, cut the cardio down and increase the food and lift heavy weights.

30DS won't do much for your muscles. Are you sore? You may not be losing since your muscles will retain water. Take some rest days.

If you do want to build muscle you can't focus on the scale.... it will not show progress.

I'm not really doing serious cardio - walking everywhere (as standard) plus one 5k run plus one zumba class a week. Is that really too much?

30DS hasn't made me sore since the first day, but it's not a walk in the park either. When I'm finished in 5 days I'll definitely get into a more sensible routine with rest days.

30DS is cardio. Many think it's a weight routine however no one uses heavy enough weights while doing it for it to have much impact on your muscles in terms of actual adding muscle.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

30DS is cardio. Many think it's a weight routine however no one uses heavy enough weights while doing it for it to have much impact on your muscles in terms of actual adding muscle.

Exactly.. If you aren't lifting more weight than an average purse, it will not build muscle.