For those Heart Rate Monitors

Options
Looking into heart rate monitors that sync with phone and/or computer - I have an android.

1 - Does it really make a difference if it uploads to the phone/computer or is just as easy to manually enter results.
2 - What do you have, why do you like it... would you get the same or something different if you had the option...

Thanks for your input.

Replies

• EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    It's just as easy to enter manually.

Polar FT7
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options

Polar FT7

Yep
  • ladyonaquest
    ladyonaquest Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I hear it's easier to enter it!! The syncing can get all messed up sometimes.
  • nettieluvstzu
    nettieluvstzu Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and love it... never have any problems and it is easier to just enter it manually.
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Garmin probably has some that sync, but they're reallllllly expensive. I have a polar one that gives calories burned, I think it was around $90
  • whitleynoel
    whitleynoel Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin FR70 and I love it. The mode button is hard to push for some reason but it transfers to the USB I have in my computer once my workout is done that they have an awesome user-friendly website that track everything. On top of the heart rate monitor I got the foot pod so it can track distance on the treadmill better then the treadmill on its own It also beeps when I run a mile and gives my mile per minute and instead on just a distance graph on the computer it give me a cadence and steps per minute chart as well. I always have my computer at home and I don't really want to take my phone with me to run/workout outside. It has an internal memory for if you take your watch to the gym or with you out of town where it can save your workouts until you get to you computer again (of course you could take the Garmin USB antennae with you). It also only took about 10 minutes to set up before I was ready to go. LOVE IT! Also, the chest strap is super comfortable, and the foot pod can clip on and shoe or fits in the Nike+ spot if you happen to like a pair of those.

PS Heart rate monitors USA had the FR70 with the heart rate monitor and the foot pod for $130 with free shipping. Cheaper than buying it from Garmin.
  • staceyGO
    staceyGO Posts: 376
    Options
    I am on my third Polar and I hate it... but it would seem most people love them so maybe I just have horrible luck. But when it does work I also enter manually, I find it just as quick.
  • AMHouse85
    AMHouse85 Posts: 285 Member
    Options

Polar FT7

same here
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Motoactv. Heck of a lot more coolness than Polars.
  • the3erwins
    the3erwins Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Polar Ft7

I picked this one over the Ft 4 because you can upgrade it to interface with a computer . However, you have to buy an extra part to link them, and it seems to be just as easy without the link.
  • EmHorn4
    EmHorn4 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT60 and I love it. I got it in summer of 2011 and I still think it is the best investment I ever made because I love stats. It doesn't auto upload anything, but I find that its pretty satisfying to manually enter the info...since for MFP purposes, its just the calories. And what a difference from what MFP thinks about the calories! The watch itself does show you week-to-week progress, and you can set up your own training program and it will help you view and achieve your weekly heart rate targets for the program you chose. I seemingly would want this all uploaded to my computer, but having it as its own little separate thing hasn't bothered me. The chest strap is also the most comfortable I have ever worn, I barely remember it is there while exercising. :smile:
  • whitleynoel
    whitleynoel Posts: 198 Member
    Options

Polar FT7

I love that mine syncs. It doesn't just sync distance, calories, and heart rate, but cadence and steps per minute (I know there are other features too but these are the ones that I use the most). I have never had a problem with it syncing and it is nice to have everything right there. Plus once a workout syncs the Garmin site has a place for workout notes so that you can keep track of anything different that you may have done.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I've got a Polar FT4
    So easy to use - enter your weight, height and age and you're set. Comes with a chest strap that can even be used when swimming (which burns a LOT of calories so was great to get an accurate reading underwater).
    Easy enough to enter calories manually - just press the button to state the end of your workout session and it gives you the length of time you were working out for and the number of calories burned. Can also pause the workout (without ending it altogether) if you need a break or if you're changing machines at the gym (which I do while working out).

I love my Polar FT4 - dunno what I'd do without it...that sounds sad, but it's true :smile:
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    Depends on your usage/needs. If it's just for basic tracking (time, calories burned, etc) then getting something you set up on the watch would be your best bet for ease of use and cost. If you are looking for more features, something you set up/sync with a PC would be better.

I have a Polar FT7 and it works fine for what it does. I upgraded to a Timex because my needs were for running and a little biking, more than just tracking a few basic items. The runners group I'm with seem to favor the Garmins and Timex. I still do my stat tracking on a spreadsheet (syncing online is a nice backup) but the ability to set up the different features of the Timex on the computer is much nicer than trying to do it on the watch itself.
  • kbodnaruk
    Options
    I just purchased the Polar FT4 - I am new to running - in the process of doing a C25K and I also wanted something that could calculate my calorie burn with my DVD workouts. I have heard a lot of positives on the Polar so that is why I got that. I purchased from heart rate monitors USA this morning - $66 plus free shipping. Looking forward to receiving it! :)
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I use an old Nike Triax C5 I bought 6-7 years ago. The sending unit broke and I replaced it with a Timex unit. Works like it suppose to. It's a basic running watch & HRM. I can calculate calories burned by going to a calorie calculator: http://www.calories-calculator.net/Calories_Burned_By_Heart_Rate.html
  • theolasvegas
    theolasvegas Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have the Sportline Duo 1010 heart rate monitor? I have the manual for this unit but it's so gosh darn confusing! I've checked out a few online reviews and one will say that it DOES calculate calories burned and another review will say that it doesn't.

If anyone has this hrm and knows how to get it to the calories burned mode please let me know.

Thanks and have a wonderful day! :)
  • DMUND
    DMUND Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and love it... never have any problems and it is easier to just enter it manually.

Same here!
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options

This
  • Lmezz11
    Lmezz11 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Just as easy to enter it manually. I have a Polar FT4 and believe it is the best investment I have made. I LOVE IT! I've never had a problem with mine and it is user friendly.