Body Fat Goal

Options
I am trying to find a fitness goal that makes sense to me--I've already decided I don't want to use dress size (designers vary) or weight (composition varies) or just "how I look" (the least reliable of them all for me!). I think that leaves me with measuring body fat. Are there any other suggestions for a metric to use to evaluate yourself and your fitness? BP? Heartbeat?

Also, if I do use body fat, what is realistic for a woman at age 35? I am currently at 19.6% according to trainer measurements, down from 24%. I basically am a bottom-heavy hourglass shape, but in decreasing body fat, the fat is coming first from my waist and then from my bust. My hips are losing inches, but at a rate that is far less than that of my waist and bust. I worry that if I go too low on body fat, I'm going to end up a full-on pear, which I don't want.

Right now, I have my MFP set up to lose 0.5 lb per week. I've been using that as a proxy for getting healthier, but I guess I don't have a clue of how to determine when I am healthy enough to eat for maintenance. All thoughts appreciated.

Replies

• lulusmom
    Options
    The lowest body fat I've been at was 16% (at age 23) and it looked spectacular. Now (age 31) I would be very happy to be at 18% and try to maintain "anywhere under 20%." So, if you are at 19.6% you are in great shape for a woman your age. Maybe it is time to stop trying to lose weight and instead focus on increasing your muscle mass. Some nicely defined arms and shoulders can really help to balance out a naturally heavy bottom. :)
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I agree with lulusmom. You have an acceptable body fat percentage for the military so you're not unhealthy in that regards. As a male I'm looking at getting down below 10% for my abs to show. Muscle definition is a great thing on a woman, and I'm not saying you have to look like some bodybuilder. Just toned is good and the muscle helps burn more fat during rest periods.
  • 4jamaica
    4jamaica Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for responding! I like the idea of doing more work on my upper body so that it balances out the lower. I think I'll continue to eat at a 0.5 lb/week weight loss rate for maybe a month longer and then begin maintenance eating and increase my lifting.
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Men should not go below 7-8% body fat. Women should be no lower than 12% (we have extra up top). Otherwise it can actually have a bad effect on your brain and start making you go crazy.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    16% would be pretty damn lean flat stomach. 12% would be shredded as hell almost too lean looking.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    "How I look" is one of the best measures of body fat.

Especially if you try to measure it other ways, keep track of it, and take progress photos. Over time you will get better and better at estimating body fat with a mirror (or on a progress photo).
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I am trying to find a fitness goal that makes sense to me--I've already decided I don't want to use dress size (designers vary) or weight (composition varies) or just "how I look" (the least reliable of them all for me!). I think that leaves me with measuring body fat. Are there any other suggestions for a metric to use to evaluate yourself and your fitness? BP? Heartbeat?

Also, if I do use body fat, what is realistic for a woman at age 35? I am currently at 19.6% according to trainer measurements, down from 24%. I basically am a bottom-heavy hourglass shape, but in decreasing body fat, the fat is coming first from my waist and then from my bust. My hips are losing inches, but at a rate that is far less than that of my waist and bust. I worry that if I go too low on body fat, I'm going to end up a full-on pear, which I don't want.

Right now, I have my MFP set up to lose 0.5 lb per week. I've been using that as a proxy for getting healthier, but I guess I don't have a clue of how to determine when I am healthy enough to eat for maintenance. All thoughts appreciated.

Unfortunately, if your body's genetics make you pear-shaped, that's your shape. There's only so much you can do short of liposuction. Your current percentage, 19.6, is a decent one. I'm older and my scale puts me at about 20 to 21 a the moment. At my lowest, I was 16%. It would be great to get that low again, but it would take an incredible about of work. A more realistic goal for me is 18%.

As your body wants to hold onto fat in certain places no matter how low you go, be careful about using too much weight resistance on those areas. Despite what you might have heard, muscle does not burn fat or make it disappear.
  • shmoony
    shmoony Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you're pretty much screwed. If you're at 19.6%, and and still feel like you have a lot to lose downstairs, you would probably need to get to 15-16 to get there. THat is a very difficult BF% to maintain for a woman your age, but not impossible. Unfortunately, the first place weight wants to come on is the last place it wants to come off. Just become one with the pear and focus on being healthy.
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    The affect of age is largely overstated.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

Agreed!
  • shmoony
    Options

Unfortunately, if your body's genetics make you pear-shaped, that's your shape. There's only so much you can do short of liposuction. Your current percentage, 19.6, is a decent one. I'm older and my scale puts me at about 20 to 21 a the moment. At my lowest, I was 16%. It would be great to get that low again, but it would take an incredible about of work. A more realistic goal for me is 18%.

As your body wants to hold onto fat in certain places no matter how low you go, be careful about using too much weight resistance on those areas. Despite what you might have heard, muscle does not burn fat or make it disappear.

The last part is not entirely true. I think what you meant to say is that doing sit ups won't burn belly fat, or doing leg extensions won't burn thigh fat. Muscle doesn't "burn fat", but it does burn more calories, therefore more fat.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Men should not go below 7-8% body fat. Women should be no lower than 12% (we have extra up top). Otherwise it can actually have a bad effect on your brain and start making you go crazy.

lol :noway:
  • shmoony
    Options

If you're referring to my comment, I don't feel like I overstated it, but the simple fact is that not many women maintain 15% into their thirtees. For whatever the reason, it's obviously more difficult to do.
  • FullOfWin
    Options

If you're referring to my comment, I don't feel like I overstated it, but the simple fact is that not many women maintain 15% into their thirtees. For whatever the reason, it's obviously more difficult to do.

Probably because they become less active and consume more calories, not because there is a magic switch. Yeah your metabolism may slow a little, but really, how many calories per day difference does that male? 50? 100? Eat a tablespoon less ranch dressing and you have made up for that.
  • 4jamaica
    Options
    It sounds to me like you're pretty much screwed. If you're at 19.6%, and and still feel like you have a lot to lose downstairs, you would probably need to get to 15-16 to get there. THat is a very difficult BF% to maintain for a woman your age, but not impossible. Unfortunately, the first place weight wants to come on is the last place it wants to come off. Just become one with the pear and focus on being healthy.

I had to laugh at "become one with the pear"! I definitely don't want to fight my natural body shape and will keep in mind that maintenance at too low a body fat may be more trouble than its worth. I'm on MFP to be healthy, not become a middle-aged supermodel :)

Does anyone suggest tracking another metric like heartbeat or blood pressure instead of body fat? I've seen a steady decline in both (I started at normal). And what about liposuction.....does it really make your body rebel and do horrible things?
  • Belita38
    Belita38 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Well, I am 38 and I am 21% which is too much for me.
    My goal here at MFP is to reduce Body Fat and increase my muscles. I think it is healthy and looks sexy.
    I am not that worried about my weight but about my Body Fat just as you do.
    And I think that we can reduce it until 16%. Am I saying something wrong?
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    Are there any other suggestions for a metric to use to evaluate yourself and your fitness? BP? Heartbeat?

You could do a search for: resting heart rate and recovery heart rate as a measure of cardiovascular fitness, and of course your blood pressure and waist to hip ratio's as measures of disease risk.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    This is a good resource for body fat % charts. There are also some visual comparison pictures to help you estimate your current level. http://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options

Yes! I'll finally have a viable excuse for why I'm bat *kitten* crazy.
  • 4jamaica
    Options
    This is a good resource for body fat % charts. There are also some visual comparison pictures to help you estimate your current level. http://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/

Thank you so much! I definitely look most like the 20% woman, but I don't need to look like the 15-17% woman.

Wish they had visual comparisons of thighs and butt for the different percentages!!

Actually, it looks like there are such comparisons: http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages