Increasing my calories and scared to death!

Options
From June to December, I lost about 20 pounds doing IF. I decided I wanted to more level eating plan so I decided I was going to eat just over my BMR. I did the calculators and put my food intake around 1550 calories/day (I'm 30, 188 lbs, and 5'3", FTR), but for the last 4-6 weeks I haven't lost any weight and have been bouncing between 188 and 190 constantly. I'm seemingly doing everything right, weighing my food, exercising with a HRM, being totally honest when tracking, etc, but still stuck.

So I'm either eating too much or too little. I'm going to take my calories up to TDEE-20% (1780 cals/day) for the next 4 weeks and see how it goes, but I'm terrified. Someone reassure me, quick!

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    If you are eating *just* over your BMR, you probably aren't eating enough. Don't worry, by upping your calories you will still be eating in a calorie deficit so you can't gain (do the math- can't happen!).
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Are you entering your exercise here? If yes, eat back some of those exercise calories...you don't have to do it all of the time but that might help. Also, make sure your drinking enough water. That's one area where it really seems to be critical. I've had friends who started drinking enough and sure enough - their weight started dropping again. I'm not a scientist but that's what I've heard and it does seem to matter.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I did that....started MFP with the 1200 cals per day. Lost 7 lbs pretty quickly and stalled out for months after that! Couldn't figure out why.

Did lots and lots of research on BMR / TDEE and upped my base calories to 1430 (just over BMR) and ate back all of my exercise calories. Started losing again.

Then I got bored with the constant obsessive number crunching and decided to do the straight TDEE less 15% and eat that on a daily basis. I've actually had more success this way as my net amounts are different each day depending on my exercise or rest. I feel that it keeps my metabolism guessing.

I had inadvertently eaten around my TDEE for most of the month of December. I was anywhere from 2100 to 2400 cals per day. Gained about 2 lbs, levelled off and started to drop as soon as I ate under 2100 cals. I run a couple times per week, and I do a bootcamp a couple times per week. I try to stay busy during the evening....have a desk job during the day.

I am 40 years old, 5'5", 131.6 lbs, 21.5%BF

I am now the lightest I've been in several years! I aim for about 1750 cals per day, and am usually over a little bit. I eat whatever I want and just try to stay within my cals. I make healthy choices where I can, but make room for chocolate each and every day.

Calculate your numbers, be patient, trust the process, and enjoy eating again!! It's really so simple and sustainable! :)

also, check out the EM2WL group on here. They are really supportive!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Increasing your calories will probably kill you.
  • mjswalters
    mjswalters Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Feels that way! LOL
  • cbailey28072
    Options
    I agree with some of the other posters here. For myself, making sure I hit my "calories burned per day" target, and my "net calories per day" target have been the two most helpful things to focus on. The "total number of calories eaten per day" just doesn't seem to be as important (for me, at least). And it really is true that you have to drink enough water! Good luck!
  • Jillygal40
    Options
    I was on diet for 6wks lots 16ibs suppose to have 900cals now i am off the diet and increase 100cals a wkbut day one i have already had about 1200 :( panic setting in dont want to gain how could i be so stupid #
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I think you have a solid plan and it can't hurt to try. I also like that you're giving it several weeks before making a decision. I will say however, that those online calculators can be way off for some people. Remember, they are just averages for someone with your stats. I had my RMR checked in a lab and it was nearly 200 calories lower than the online calculators were giving me.