A word on Stevia

Options
2»

Replies

• perfekta
    perfekta Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I get migraines from artificial sweeteners. I tried it since it was marketed as a good natural sweetener. Bleck, tastes terrible. I'll just save the calories and use sugar when I need to, it was horrible.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I tried it and thought it tasted awful. It ruined my coffee and filled me with rage. I like bitter stuff, so I can avoid sweeteners and just use real sugar when I need it.
  • MinisterTom
    MinisterTom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Stevia in the Raw does not have the nasty aftertaste. I use it in my coffee all the time.
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    It doesn't seem like they are using Stevia. They've gone and chemically changed something natural to something unnatural once again. I'd avoid it. But that said, I am planning on growing Stevia in the spring, and using a leaf or two in my tea, to use that as my sweetener. Honestly I'd rather take the calories of real sugar, than the odd side effects of chemical sweeteners.

Thanks for this, what they want to use is NOT the natural product.
  • plantlyfe
    Options
    My family has recently went sugar free (we still eat fruit) and we only use stevia as a sweetener- xylitol, erythritol, and malitol cause stomach upset. Sugar is actually the cause of heart disease, diabetes, tooth decay, fibroids and a host of other issues. Say NO to sugar!!
  • PicklePlum
    PicklePlum Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have no evidence, but I cannot trust stevia. I gave stevia several chances and I also really don't like the taste. Rather just have regular sugar, honey, or maple syrup or nothing at all.
  • Beamll
    Beamll Posts: 28
    Options
    I have been using stevia for a couple years not. I didn't have the same reaction as some of you. I also bought three stevia plants a couple years ago I have been growing. With two children who react to HFCS I realy have to watch what comes in the house, they have all gotten used to it and sugar is too much.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I tried Stevia in the Raw and didn't like it all, but then I tried Truvia and loved it. I only use it in tea though so I don't use much of it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    'Nuff said:

cspi.gif

(A.K.A. Food Police)
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Count me in the Stevia is disgusting group. To me, it doesn't taste sweet, just horrible.

I try to eat clean as much as possible. So, I avoid artificial sweeteners.

For coffee, I add just a touch of skim milk- enough to cool it down so I don't burn my tongue. Tea, I add a teaspoon of honey. When I occasionally eat sweets, I do it in moderation.

A little sugar every now and then is not going to hurt anyone.
  • naticksdonna
    naticksdonna Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    First of all, the article is 5 years old. That being said, it is about Rebiana, not stevia. I'm not for or against artificial sweeteners as I've used them most of my life. If you're wondering what sweetener you should use, I think you need to do a lot of research.

Here is an article from 2010 (not much better than the above!) http://www.bryanmarcel.com/truvia-and-purevia-are-not-stevia#

I believe there's nothing wrong with a spoonful of sugar - for healthy individuals..
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're using actual stevia and not Truvia. Truvia is NOT stevia. It "contains" stevia which could mean anything as it's produced by coca cola.

You shouldn't require any sweetener in your coffee and tea and the only reason you do is because you've trained your brain to think you need something sweet. Try to start drinking those things without sweetener and you will eventually no longer require it.
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I don't notice a nasty aftertaste, I like the taste. Then again, I buy cheap aldi crap and it's probably not real.

:D
  • leanngreen
    leanngreen Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Truvia is altered Stevia, as an fyi
    I use only Stevia in the raw. I use it in all my baking as well, 1/2 sugar and 1/2 Stevia. All my health Guru and natural dieticians only recommend this one. I stopped Truvia and went to this and it is half the price!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're using actual stevia and not Truvia. Truvia is NOT stevia. It "contains" stevia which could mean anything as it's produced by coca cola.

You shouldn't require any sweetener in your coffee and tea and the only reason you do is because you've trained your brain to think you need something sweet. Try to start drinking those things without sweetener and you will eventually no longer require it.

Truvia is better. It has no after-taste.
  • farmboyphotography
    farmboyphotography Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Stevia, truvia, and most artificial sweeteners make me light-headed and lethargic. Aspartame makes me restless and gives me a sort of an eyelid tic. Its more annoying than anything. Who knows about the long-term physiological effects? I'd rather not be part of a science experiment so I avoid this stuff.

Sugar and honey are okey doke with me.