Dumbbell only strength training program?

Options
Various programs like Starting Strength and Stronglifts are talked about a lot in the forums as good starting points for weight lifting newbies like myself. These programs however all use barbells for a lot of the exercises. My "home gym" (read: the corner of my living room where I keep my weights) does not have the space for a barbell, let alone a bench or squat rack. Going to a gym is not an option for me, because I really despise leaving home to get a workout done.

That said: does anyone know of a (beginner) weight lifting program or routine that only uses dumbbells for weights? Or perhaps dumbbell excercises to substitute common barbell exercises used in the various programs?

Thank you for your reaction!

Replies

• BackInSoFL
    BackInSoFL Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is probably going to be to move on to bodyweight work once the dumbbell basics start getting too easy (this will happen very fast) then augment the bodyweight work with dumbbells as needed.

For example, do DB OHP's until you are strong enough to do wall handstands, then progress to handstand pushups, then to handstand pressing and/or hands elevated handstand pushups.

Do DB rows until you are strong enough to do chinups, then progress to the front lever and its variations along with using your dumbbells to weight chinups.

Do DB squats then DB split squats to work to the strength to do pistol squats, then use the DBs' to weight the pistol squats when they become too easy.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    You could make and dismantle a makeshift bench by just laying a board on some blocks or stacks of books or something. Use it and just take it down and store it afterwards. Then you can do flat bench DB presses and work to pushups and beyond.
  • CoachSamB
    CoachSamB Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Beachbody has a great program called Body Beast. I have been doing it for several months now and love it.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    body beast is not good. it is a 3 day bro split.
  • notthatthis
    Options
    Are the dumbbells spinlock (or similar) plates or fixed? What weight is available for you to lift? Do you have outside space that you could use to workout?

Please give examples of what it is you currently do for exercise.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Are the dumbbells spinlock (or similar) plates or fixed? What weight is available for you to lift? Do you have outside space that you could use to workout?

Sorry for getting back to you so late, I thought this thread had died an early death ;-)

My dumbbells are are flexibel set, adjustable in 1/2 kg increments up to 15 1/2 kg each. That said, I was thinking about getting an extra set up to 25 kg each because I'm closing in on max. weights available to me now for leg work.
    I'm currently doing ChaLean Extreme as in intro into lifting. Almost done with the Push (second) phase. That means that in March I'll be ready get more serious about lifting.

I was thinking about a weekly schedule of 3 lifting days, 3 free choice more cardio oriented days and 1 rest day. I have per day about 45 - 60 minutes available to workout each morning.
    Would you advise a beginner to start out for a couple months with a full body routine 3 times a week? Or would a 3-day split be more appropriate given the limited time available each day?

What dumbbell or body weight exercises would you advise for such a routine?
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I'm like you-doing CEat the moment. Interested to hear your replies.
  • notthatthis
    Options

Sorry for getting back to you so late, I thought this thread had died an early death ;-)

My dumbbells are are flexibel set, adjustable in 1/2 kg increments up to 15 1/2 kg each. That said, I was thinking about getting an extra set up to 25 kg each because I'm closing in on max. weights available to me now for leg work.
    I'm currently doing ChaLean Extreme as in intro into lifting. Almost done with the Push (second) phase. That means that in March I'll be ready get more serious about lifting.

I was thinking about a weekly schedule of 3 lifting days, 3 free choice more cardio oriented days and 1 rest day. I have per day about 45 - 60 minutes available to workout each morning.
    Would you advise a beginner to start out for a couple months with a full body routine 3 times a week? Or would a 3-day split be more appropriate given the limited time available each day?

What dumbbell or body weight exercises would you advise for such a routine?

Full body depending on intensity - 3 to 5 times per week as you still have limited available weight. I would look at a really good set of resistance bands, bodylastics is one brand, these also allow you more range of movement and a good set can have extraordinary LB force compared to a dumbbell set and especially the comparative cost!

Workouts, there are many - compound movements are the way to go - but explore things like the Turkish Get Up, multi-joint and multi-movement. You can train for strength, but also look at using dumbbells or resistance bands in circuits (you tube) to hit your aerobic system and not just alactic and anaerobic.
  • pandorakick
    Options
    Full body depending on intensity - 3 to 5 times per week as you still have limited available weight. I would look at a really good set of resistance bands, bodylastics is one brand, these also allow you more range of movement and a good set can have extraordinary LB force compared to a dumbbell set and especially the comparative cost!

Workouts, there are many - compound movements are the way to go - but explore things like the Turkish Get Up, multi-joint and multi-movement. You can train for strength, but also look at using dumbbells or resistance bands in circuits (you tube) to hit your aerobic system and not just alactic and anaerobic.
    Never heard of the Turkish Get Up, looks interesting! Thank you for your input :flowerforyou:
  • notthatthis
    Options
    YVW
  • pandorakick
    Options
    An update for those interested: I've been reading some more about starting weight training and found the following article: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/
    The approach described here sounds very logical to me. Therefor following the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle, I decided to get started with the routines described. 

To make it easier to follow and track, I've put it in a program format with the tool over at bodybuilding.com. The basic routines I put in for the first 8 weeks and the slightly larger routines for the next 8 weeks. I used only exercises with dumbbells (and my kitchen table for the inverted rows I put in instead of pull ups). I think you need to be logged in there to be able to see and use it though. 
    In case you decide to look for it, it is named "The absolute beginner program".
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Bumping this - just what I'm looking for.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I have dumbbells only at home but they are the little kind with the plates so I'm not stuck with whatever weight. I can load one up with 50+ pounds.

Pile Squats (with 50ish pounds on one)
    Lunges (holding one in each hand, about 25lbs each)
    Bent over rows (using the side of the couch)
    Push ups (I'm a woman so these are still hard for me, or you could do dumbbell bench press with a pillow under your upper back)
    Shoulder Press.
    Bicep curls
    Tricep kick backs (again using the couch instead of a bench).
  • ayankeefan51
    ayankeefan51 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    An update for those interested: I've been reading some more about starting weight training and found the following article: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/
    The approach described here sounds very logical to me. Therefor following the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle, I decided to get started with the routines described. 

To make it easier to follow and track, I've put it in a program format with the tool over at bodybuilding.com. The basic routines I put in for the first 8 weeks and the slightly larger routines for the next 8 weeks. I used only exercises with dumbbells (and my kitchen table for the inverted rows I put in instead of pull ups). I think you need to be logged in there to be able to see and use it though. 
    In case you decide to look for it, it is named "The absolute beginner program".

I was looking for the exact same thing as you so thanks for the link.
  • ayankeefan51
    ayankeefan51 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have dumbbells only at home but they are the little kind with the plates so I'm not stuck with whatever weight. I can load one up with 50+ pounds.

Pile Squats (with 50ish pounds on one)
    Lunges (holding one in each hand, about 25lbs each)
    Bent over rows (using the side of the couch)
    Push ups (I'm a woman so these are still hard for me, or you could do dumbbell bench press with a pillow under your upper back)
    Shoulder Press.
    Bicep curls
    Tricep kick backs (again using the couch instead of a bench).

Wow, I thought buying 8 lbs dumbbells up from 5 lbs would be a good start to my weight training with dumbbells, but I guess I need much higher weights. Can you or anybody tell me what weights they started out using at the beginning stages?
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    for future reference
  • pelpec
    pelpec Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Bump

I am working on BFBM (Jillian Michaels) on 3 days, alternating with Fitnessbender workout with weights for Fat Loss on 3 days, swimming half hour after each session, with a rest day on Sunday when I just swim. Doing this thru August then on holiday for 2 weeks, so I will be looking to change up mid September.