Body Fat % to "See" Abs

Options
I've been curious as to what general percentage ranges people start to really see definition in their abdominal area so I came across this on another website. Thought I'd share...

Burn The Fat Body Fat Rating Scale:

WOMEN:
Competition Shape ("ripped"): 8-12%
Very Lean (excellent): < 15%
Lean (good): 16-20%
Satisfactory (fair): 21-25%
Improvement needed (poor): 26-30%
Major improvement needed (Very poor): 31-40%+

MEN:
Competition Shape ("ripped"): 3-6%
Very Lean (excellent): < 9%
Lean (good): 10-14%
Satisfactory (fair): 15-19%
Improvement needed (poor): 20-25%
Major improvement needed (Very poor): 26-30%+

<http://www.amazingabdominals.com/body-fat-percentage-to-see-abs.shtml&gt;

For those who monitor body fat percentages, how do you compare to the figures above?

Replies

• Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I'm sitting on the cusp of fair & poor at the moment. Want to get down to around 12% and see where I go from there...
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I'm at about 9.5% and yes my abs are visible. Not ripped or shrink wrapped looking but certainly there is some definition.
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. Your thumbnails pics help too.

Any ladies with thoughts on this..?
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I can start seeing definition when you get into the "good" range... although I never had my bf% accurately measured. I think I was in the 19-20% range when I saw definition.
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I can start seeing definition when you get into the "good" range... although I never had my bf% accurately measured. I think I was in the 19-20% range when I saw definition.

First off, you look amazing as a mother of 2!!

I'm in the 'good range' too - coming in at about 19% body fat but not seeing the definition I'd like. I still have some work to do! :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    At about 10% I can readily see some abs definition. I would like to get to 8% and see how that looks.
  • Annieapple12
    Annieapple12 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I think this varies wildly. I have very strong abs as I have been belly dancing for a few years and I put on muscle fairly easily. Coupled with this I don’t tend to store far on the top of my stomach. It’s all on my back (I HATE my backfat), boobs, lower stomach and thighs. And a bit under my chin :-(.

I am 164 pounds and 5 foot 4 so overweight. However, when I tense you can see my top abs. I don’t know what my bodyfat % is but I imagine it is above 26%.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Just curious - wouldn't body composition come into play at some point? Some women are "poochier" in their abs than others. I know mine has a naturally rounded shape even at goal weight, and it's hard to get it flat. I tried for years (before gaining weight, obviously).

So, even if I'm down to a good body fat %, would that mean my abs will never show? I don't really care if they do or not; I'm just wondering.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Just curious - wouldn't body composition come into play at some point? Some women are "poochier" in their abs than others. I know mine has a naturally rounded shape even at goal weight, and it's hard to get it flat. I tried for years (before gaining weight, obviously).

So, even if I'm down to a good body fat %, would that mean my abs will never show? I don't really care if they do or not; I'm just wondering.

I beleive you are talking about the difference between being skinny fit and in shape with low body fat %...? You can have ten percent body fat and not work out and look like crap...or you can hit the weights alot and have ten percent body fat and looked ripped..

Also, everyone is different. Some people's abs may pop with no training at 10% body fat and other people need to train their abs to make them pop at ten% ...

I guess it all depends on what you are doing work out wise...A long distance runner with 10$ BF will look different then a guy that lifts 5-6 days a week and has 10% BF...
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Last time I had my bodyfat % measured it was 19%. I can see my abs. I'm 5'10, 140#. But I have a naturally lean torso so even if I put on 40 pounds I'd probably still have a flat stomach (and an *kitten* the size of a Buick).
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    It depends on where you store your excess fat too. Mine is in my hips so I can see a "hint of abs" at 23ish%.
  • hannahcall2
    hannahcall2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5, 135# and have seen my abs gain definitio since I hit the 21% BF range. It's not tight yet, but I can clearly see a 4-pack and they are hard as a rock
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I just want to see my toes before I worry about seeing my abs.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Us big 'ole boys see them easier. Mine get decently defined at 12-15%.
  • GrnEyes839
    GrnEyes839 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    stephdeeable that was funny :) Great job on the weight loss!!!!
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I can see mine at up to 14% or so. For an unflexed fully visible six pack, under 9-10% with minimal bloating.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    24% and I can see my upper abs.

Here's the strange thing--my stomah, even the lower part, is pretty flat. But there is still enough fat under the skin to cover the lower abs. They don't pooch out, but I still have a bit of muffin top if I wear low rise jeans. I guess my "visceral" fat is mostly gone, but I still have some under the skin.
  • kaitlynelkins9
    kaitlynelkins9 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My body fat percentage is around 15%, and for me, that seems to be right at the cusp of abdominal definition; if I put on any additional fat at all, I tend to lose the visible abs. My body fat tends to migrate to my lower abdominal region most, so I have to be relatively lean in order to see good definition.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    At 11% right now. I have a fine 6 pack when flexed. Unflexed definition though doesn't start coming in until 10% and below. I can see them flexed on up to 14-15% or so.

It really depends on what "see" means. There is a HUGE diference between visible abs when flexed and visible when unflexed.
  • workhardplayhard
    workhardplayhard Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    totally depends on body type but for me at about 13% saw abs and 10% starting to get ripped and 8% is shrink wrap