Vegetarian Ideas...

Options
I have certain days for religious reasons when I cant eat meat/eggs...any suggestions for how I can get protein (except for tofu...YUCK).

Replies

• monie328
    monie328 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have certain days for religious reasons when I cant eat meat/eggs...any suggestions for how I can get protein (except for tofu...YUCK).

• SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Nuts are a good source of protein. Spirutein is a vegetarian protein powder you mix with water, juice or milk. Can you have milk? Execellent source if you can drink it with milk. You almost feel like you are cheating.
  • fit_amy
    fit_amy Posts: 41
    Options
    I just started eating Quorn products. One chik'n pattie has 150 calories, 6 g fat, 2 g fiber, and 9 g protein!!! They are soy free and meat free!! They're made of 'mycoprotein' which ... from my understanding of reading the back of the box... is fermented fungi. ?? Sounds weird but they are really good! I have tried the Quorn Chik'n patties, the southewest chik'n bites, and the chik'n nuggets. I like to put them in a Flat Out wrap with fresh veggies, or in a salad for extra protein.
    I prefer the Quorn products to other 'meat free' versions because the ingredients are all things you can pronounce! :o)
  • turtle
    turtle Posts: 49
    Options
    I am a vegetarian and I have found so many great vegetarian foods that match the real thing in flavor but aren't nearly as high in calories or fat and still provide me with protein. You should really try morning star chik'n nuggets, boca chik'n patties, boca burger original ( every other type of burger really isn't that great). My boyfriend is a hard core carnivore and even he likes these options. I hope this helps!
  • persian_dancer
    Options
    Boca brand and morning star brand. Sometimes they have more protein than the original stuff. I'm kind of a vegetarian. I eat fish and chicken moderately otherwise I don't eat pork or red meat. Good luck, I hope this helps.
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options

Try this different hummas recipe:

one can of drained chick peas (garbanzo beans)
    1 cup walnuts
    3 Tablespoons lemon juice (fresh is best)
    1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
    2 fresh cloves garlic

I blend the garlic in the food processor first, then add the garbanzos, then the lemon juice. Then while the food processor is processing I pour the olive oil in a steady stream.

This is great on pitas............. or even just with a spoon.
  • pattijoan
    pattijoan Posts: 4
    Options
    Kashi cereals and granola bars are an excellent source of protein as are beans/chickpeas/legumes. Hummus as a veggie dip would be great. Can you have dairy?? Lots of protein in yogourt and milk. My daughter is a vegetarian and the MFP is proving to her that she gets LOTS of protein - it's in foods you might not think of - review your past food logs. She also eats veggie burgers - if you load them with condiments (onion, tomato,pickles) they're not too bad.
  • wildkitty505
    wildkitty505 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Love Morningstar and Boca but make sure you read the ingredients. Some of the Morningstar items have egg whites in them (black bean burger). Nuts, cottage cheese and nonfat yogurt are good sources of protein.
  • huskergal15
    huskergal15 Posts: 102
    Options
    I have to agree on the morningstar. I do eat meat, but I opt for Morningstar products over the real thing most of the time. The buffalo wings, chicken pattie, chicken nuggest and black bean burgers are some of the most delicious stuff on the planet! And so easy to prepare!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Beans, depending on your religion fish may be an option (I know during lent some people eat fish but not other meat). Peanut butter, try to find a tofu preparation you like... there's some other ones too but those pop to mind.

I could send you a recipe for tofu parm that would make you amazed (the tofu doesn't seem like tofu, it gets a texture like ricotta and tastes almost the same).
  • MInnesotaNice
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I heart beans!!!! Morning star and boca heavens yeah!! Hummus, soymilk, Edamame is soooooooo yummy! Genisoy soy crisps are bomb.....OOH and low fat wraps like joseph's wheat tortillas....1g fat ? 7gs protein...and my fav pita bread, damascus bakeries....3g fat 10 g protein.. :heart: