What should I be doing differently to build muscle?

Options
** Every day I do 10 pushups (I'm a beginner and really can't seem to do any more than that - used to not even be able to do one single pushup)
**I'm 5'3, 24 years old, and weigh 117lbs
**I eat about 800 calories a day of nothing but protein (eggs & meats)
**I lift a 25lb kettlebell 8 times in 2 sets (16 lifts altogether)
**I do a 5 minute ab workout & resistance training with GOfit resistance bands
**sometimes I add 30 minute elliptical training into all of that

Do I need to eat more calories or do more reps with the kettlebell? I'm not seeing any results and I assume it's because I'm not eating enough calories and/or carbs. Sorry that my diary is not open to the public, a lot of people on here like to bully everyone for what they eat & how much instead of giving HELPFUL advice.

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Is the 800 calories all you eat? If so, start eating more immediately - you won't have any muscle left in a short time, never mind building it....
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ** Every day I do 10 pushups (I'm a beginner and really can't seem to do any more than that - used to not even be able to do one single pushup)
    **I'm 5'3, 24 years old, and weigh 117lbs
    **I eat about 800 calories a day of nothing but protein (eggs & meats)
    **I lift a 25lb kettlebell 8 times in 2 sets (16 lifts altogether)
    **I do a 5 minute ab workout & resistance training with GOfit resistance bands
    **sometimes I add 30 minute elliptical training into all of that

Do I need to eat more calories or do more reps with the kettlebell? I'm not seeing any results and I assume it's because I'm not eating enough calories and/or carbs. Sorry that my diet is not open to the public, a lot of people on here like to bully everyone for what they eat & how much instead of giving HELPFUL advice.

First, eat almost 3x as many calories (probably around 2200)
    Second, have a program conducive to adding lean body mass. Your program is fairly weak. If you go to the gym, you shoudl look at a program like strong lift 5x5. You need a program that will induce hypertrophy.

Also, realize when you gain muscle, you will gain fat. So you will need to follow your bulk cycle by another cut cycle. But have the ability to get results like below.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Is the 800 calories all you eat? If so, start eating more immediately - you won't have any muscle left in a short time, never mind building it....

Quoted for the truth as well.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Eat more and lift. A wimpy little kettle ball is not how you build mass.
  • xxMyWeighxx
    Options
    I should add that 25lbs is heavy as f* for me.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    You need to be eating ABOVE your maintenance calories. Look at the stronglift routine, google it.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

I'm not a nutritionist, nor trying to bully you, ok? But it feels heavy because you don't eat enough and aren't giving your muscles what they need to function [I'm thinking of the glycogen stores necessary for Glycogenolysis]. Eat more healthy calories and build up to a heavier weight. You'll be glad you did.
  • nyusha
    nyusha Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Eat more, bulk then cut.
    Lift more: add compound exercises, like deadlifts and squats. It is likely that you can do more weight than you think.

You have to both challenge and feed your muscles to grow them. Make sure you add some fats, too.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

Probably because you have no strengh to lift anything heavier as your purse on 800 cals a day....
    You'd be surprised how much stronger you will feel if you eat a BALANCED diet of more that 800 calories....Please eat more - you will keep on losing the little muscle mass you have if you don't....
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    While I am not one that maintains that you MUST have a surplus to gain muscle (it is rather complex)...

At such a deficit, it is unlikely you'll gain any muscle. It is also FAR more likely you'll be losing muscle.

Simply put, your body can only use up so much fat in a day. If you have a deficit greater than that, it will also use up muscle. This is why already "skinny" people simply cannot go on a all day hike and return ripped.

You need to look into a body recomp program rather than a weight loss program. Basically non-work out days you'll eat a deficit, and on workout days you'll eat a surplus.

At your size, you should NOT have a deficit larger than 250.