Chips Alternate

Options
Hey Everyone,

Hoping to hear what people have to say about substituting or changing which chips I eat. Usually I like Miss Vickie's but I know if I want to lose weight that has to stop.

Can anyone recommend a bag of chips, brand, etc. that is relatively good as a snack?

Thanks, add as friend as well!

Replies

• TorontoAdam91
    Options
    bump,anyone?
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    TJ Hooker?
  • FitCowgirl8
    FitCowgirl8 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Since I started trying to lose weight I have tried to cut out all chips entirely but since I love chips and have to have some every now and then I buy the special K chips. They taste pretty good and you can have a lot more of them for around the same calories and less of the fat of regular chips.
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    If you're like me and it's all about the dip anyway, try carrot chips. Very good with some low fat ranch! If you still want potato chips, look for ones without a mile long ingredient list and 0 trans fat.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Miss Vickie's are so good!

I've been wanting to try making my own using this method:

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-crispy-potato-chips-in-the-microwave-166718

Can't recommend it yet because I haven't gotten around to trying it but they look crispy and tasty. If you try it, let us know how they turn out.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Pop Chips, Veggie Straws, or you could just portion out the real, yummy chips and make them work with your daily goal.
  • TorontoAdam91
    Options
    What flavors do the Special K come in?

Awesome recipe, going to check it out. Might be a good alternate come hockey games and Superbowl Sunday
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Same chips, smaller amount.
  • hnyb1212
    hnyb1212 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Kale chips (comes in a variety of different flavors), apple chips, or sweet potatoe chips are good substitutes. You can also bake the kale & sweet potatoe chips yourself and create your own flavors.
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I normally do Pop Chips (I LOVE veggie chips but they don't fit into my macros right now). To try something different, I bought some of the Special K variety just yesterday and I don't like them. They have a great flavor on the outside, but that's gone in a few seconds and you're left with the cardboard taste while you chew. But that's just me...
  • TorontoAdam91
    Options
    Yes that is also an option, less chips of the same but it is so hard. One of my weaknesses.

I will be looking into these alternatives and seeing how it goes though :)
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Kale chips (comes in a variety of different flavors), apple chips, or sweet potatoe chips are good substitutes. You can also bake the kale & sweet potatoe chips yourself and create your own flavors.

Why do all of these people think you're supposed to eat kale? That stuff was designed as a garnish, it was never meant for human consumption. Do you also eat the umbrella that comes in your Mai Tai? No. Leave the kale on the side of the plate. Eat stuff that tastes good.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Same chips, smaller amount.

Chips and bacon...there is no substitute for either.

If you have to, portion them out into baggies right away to help with control.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I vote for raw carrots. They're the best.
  • gambit1975
    Options
    I like eating the Quaker quakes. They are small rice cakes that come in different flavors like cheddar cheese and sour cream and onion. There are quite a variety of them. They seem to work for me as a good chip substitute
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Potatoes.
  • kerrides
    Options
    I eat Chee Cha Puffs. They come in a variety of flavours and you can have 2 cups for 90 calories. Not sure if they sell them in the states though.
  • TorontoAdam91
    Options
    The Quaker Caramel oat things are very good and are 50 calories.
  • hnyb1212
    hnyb1212 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of kale chips but I can eat almost anything if it is spicy so jalepeno kale chips are not that bad.
  • TorontoAdam91
    Options
    Can anyone compare the taste of kale chips to that of another chip or food? I have never tasted one and wondering what I could compare it to.

Is there a certain brand associated with them as well?