Gallbladder Surgery on Feb 6

Options

Replies

• MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine had hers taken out and her recovery time was lengthy because I believe she waited and waited to get it checked out. Finally, when she could barely function she had it done. Good blessings sent your way.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I had mine out in 2010. I only have one really visible scar, and it's only about an inch long. I went in to get it removed, I was in surgery around 7:45, out around 8:45, and able to get home around 1 or 2pm that same day. I was definitely sore for a couple of weeks, but nothing unbearable, and they prescribed pain killers which really helped. I only needed them for a week or 2. I was up and running within a week. It was not in any way traumatic for me.

ETA; I have done nothing but lose weight since then, save for when I got pregnant with my second baby :wink:

This was the most painful part for me! The gas got into my shoulders and hurt like bell. But i had my surgery two weeks after a csection and was up taking care of a baby within two days. It's not so bad and you'll feel much better after! Good luck!
    I forgot about the gas! Yeah ... worst part of it. I think I blocked out that pain! lol
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I went in for the same pains and they ended up scheduling me for an emergency gb removal surgery. I don't know about the weight gain because I've been big most of my life but I can tell you that the pain was no joke and I'm glad it's gone.

BTW I did try the eating healthy once I found out it was my gb but it just got worse.

I had the same experience. The pain killers (oxycotin and T3) did not even touch the pain. I imagine it was worse for us because of the state the gallbladder was in (mine was emergency surgery too). I have given birth naturally with back labour and that pain was absolutely nothing compared to that.
  • kdbacher
    Options
    I had mine out when I was 16 and it wasn't bad at all. The only pain I felt was attempting to carry things that were too heavy too soon. The more that you can stand walking around after, the faster the gases that they insert into your stomach will dissipate as well. Good luck!
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed a couple of years ago. I have three tiny scars on my stomach but they are barely visible. I was kept in hospital for one night because of low blood pressure but was let out the next day. It took me a couple of weeks to recover fully in terms of having my energy back and I had pain for about a week afterwards but nothing too bad and they gave me strong painkillers so that was fine. Afterwards I felt MUCH better and it was totally worth the fear beforehand not to have that awful pain in my stomach anymore!
    On a side note if you tell them that you are afraid they will give you drugs to calm you down, and if you ask for more (which I did jokingly) they just give them to you! It was awesome!! :)
  • sd_dilligaf
    sd_dilligaf Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^ What DouMc said. Exactly my experience.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I've never had gallbladder surgery... but, my dad has. He waited, like you, though, and by the time he had it, it was because he was dying because it set up a serious infection. That's when they forced him to have the surgery... which saved his life. It sounds like your's is not near that level yet (or they wouldn't be waiting)... but, you don't want it to be. I'll be praying for your nerves. I pray you find the calm you need to not cancel this surgery.
  • iamkarent
    iamkarent Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I am guessing that was 7/10ths of a percent have to cut open..because you hear of SOOOO many that have it done laproscopically now, with no issues.

I did about two years ago..as an emergency one .and was home next day...3 tiny scars...no big deal.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed by keyhole surgery a few years back.

Procedure was fine, overnight in hospital, home next day and back to work within a week.

No problems since.

My consultant said that eating food that has either too much fat or too little fat can cause some interesting digestive effects (because there's no bladder to regulate bile flow) but I've just ate normally and never had issues.

I don't avoid any foods.

There are always risks to surgery, but the near crippling pain isn't much fun either!

Good luck, worry not, and move on with your life!
  • Kamile69
    Options
    My gall bladder decided to stop working in 2011 and had the laproscopic (sp?) operation. I did not gain any weight as a result, but it has been more than a year and I am still careful about my fat intake because I will still feel queasy if I have too much because of the liver doing all the work.

It was an easy-breezy operation, discharged the next day, but remember to give youself lots of time to heal. My doctor said it takes up to a year. I have 5 smallish scars and am still sore where the gall bladder used to be, but other than that, not a regret in the world!
  • JustinDoctrinated
    Options
    I had mine out about six years ago and it didn't affect my weight. I've gained weight since, but only the recent couple of years and in no way is it related.

It was done laprospically, which is definitely less invasive than a "big" surgery, but I'd still prepare to be out of commission for a couple of days even when you're out of the hospital. And I found that I needed a really firm bed/sofa to be comfortable because softer surfaces allowed my body to move too much when I was breathing.
  • inyourdreams71
    inyourdreams71 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed in 2011.Before I had it taken out....My doctor told me if I did not want any more GB attacks (in pain) to cut all sugar and fat out.I did and lost alot of weight.It is somewhat painful afterwards...best thing is to get up and start walking.The doctor will tell you this....it's helps to prevent blood clots and speeds up the healing process.It's been a little over a year now.And I have gained weight...weigh more now than I ever have in my entire life.Will not say it's because I had myGB removed..not sure this past year has been very stressful.Just follow your doctors orders.It's not as bad as it sounds...I too was scared.Hope it goes well.
  • rbl1225
    rbl1225 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend had his removed when he was 16. He said that it didn't bother him at all after it was gone. Every person is different. I mean he still eats fatty foods when he wants and as much as he wants- he got lucky with that. If you have a craving for a fatty food or something that isn't exactly healthy add it in slowly and see how you are. Best of luck!
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I had mine out about a year ago. Not sure why, but recovery was fairly difficult, I had to go on short term disability at work, no up and at em three days later, that's for sure. Then again, I had a pretty horrible hospital experience following acute inflammation and pain. Post surgery they kept giving me straight morphine, which my body does not tolerate at all, and did nothing for my pain. It actually made it worse since about 20 minutes after the shot, I would have dry heaves for an hour. I asked them to stop giving me morphine, and eventually they did, but I was in the hospital for about 2 days after the surgery because my digestive system wasn't moving and I had no appetite.

The no appetite meant I lost a LOT of weight right after the surgery. I gained it back later, for other reasons, but have absolutely zero long term complications, or problems with food digestion. Would I do it again? Yeah I kind of had to, my ducts were totally blocked and the thing was blowing up like a balloon.
  • RealSteelRobot
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the replies and all the good thoughts. I feel better having it removed! I love hearing all your stories! I had no idea it was that common to have the GB removed!! I feel like I can breathe now... keep the stories coming if you like :) It's nice to hear real stories from real people, MFP rocks! <3:flowerforyou: :heart:
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i had mine out in april this year after suffering for over a yr with gallstones! no you dont gain/lose weight and it is all done normally through keyhole now and leaves a few LITTLE scars that are about 1 inch long,and are already fading well,i was in and out of hospital in one night and it REALLY was not that bad!
    I woud recomend it rather than have the pain of the g/b and stones can get pretty bad!
    good luck x
  • baksings
    Options
    Interesting......It's been several years since I've had my GB removed and I still have to watch my fat intake. Too much fatty foods and I get nauseous and sometimes still have pains. I've read about others having the same problems.
    I'm glad I had mine removed, the pains were horrible and even came on when I was eating low fat.
    I would get very frustrated when dining out, I became very distrustful (almost paranoid) of no/low fat salad dressings that I ordered "on the side". Or even foods that were supposed to be grilled and they would had oils to the food for grilling. There had been several times I would experience pains or stones from supposedly "healthy" foods.
    Hope all goes great!
  • NuclearMosquito
    NuclearMosquito Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Mine was removed in 2009 after losing 30 pounds quickly (which were regained, but not due to its removal). I find I still have to keep to a lower fat percentage in my diet or I have diarrhea. It was worse in the first few months after surgery, but it is still an issue.

I tend to scar really easily, and the largest one from my surgery is in the middle and slightly to the right on my abdomen. It's about 2 inches long, 3/4 inch wide, and is raised and discolored. I am extremely pale and a redhead, and I've heard you scar worse if you're pale. Given the numerous stretch marks already present on my belly, this extra scar doesn't really bother me. I'm not aiming to wear a bikini. :)
  • pbl1966
    pbl1966 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I had my out two months ago, 11/19, and feel soooo much better. I did not have stones so it took longer to get diagnosed. Woke up the morning after surgery to no nausa for the first time in months. Initial recovery took a little longer than I would have liked but I think I had unrealistic expectations of being back running the next week. I am pretty much back to normal with the exception of not tolerating eggs well and some ab muscle soreness after a long run. Ran my first 15K this past Saturday and am planning on a 1/2 marathon next month. Feel free to message me if you have any questions that I can answer for you.
  • krstngrrtt
    krstngrrtt Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    DO IT! I had mine out after a lot of pain. I was so scared but I tell you it was one of the best things I could have done... I felt better than I even knew I felt bad. So many tummy troubles went away after I had it out...things that I had no idea had anything to do with my gb. Good luck and I hope that you feel better soon!