Ladies: Mother Nature Demands Massive Amounts of Chocolate

Options
When that lovely time rolls around each month when all you want to do is curl up in the fetal position and fill every inch of your being with chocolate, what do you do? Give in? Eat just a little? Or refuse and force everyone around you to deal with your bitterness of being a woman and suffering from hormone overload and cocoa deficiency (I swear that's a real thing)?

Me, I just enjoyed the crap out of a Mr. Big and am plotting a plate full of raw veggies for dinner tonight. However, I'm not sore about this at all. I actually LIKE a plate of raw veggies for dinner sometimes :/

Replies

• amandat_79
    amandat_79 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue last night. I had a dark chocolate truffle and a Ferrero Rocher. I loved every tiny bite and that kept me from going nutty. It fit into the calories I had left and I don't regret it for a second!!! :)
  • iSarahMay
    Options
    I love dark chocolate as a treat sometimes x
  • kirstencorren
    kirstencorren Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    They say if you are craving chocolate your body wants the nutrients found in almonds. I personally grab the nutella or a can of chocolate frosting plus milk straight from the jug...NO SHAME!

But it kind of works out because the more you move the less the cramping tends to hurt (with me at least) so staying active during that hellish week is motivation for less pain (and more chocolate)

:)
  • ericadawn92
    ericadawn92 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I cave and go crazy....

But I usually avoid that :) Instead I just try to have something with a really small portion size and eat really small bites so it lasts...also, yes, dark chocolate is great cause you don't want as much of it :)

And on the days that I do cave...I just work my booty off in the gym ;)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I always eat chocolate - as much as I can fit in my calorie goal.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    When that lovely time rolls around each month when all you want to do is curl up in the fetal position and fill every inch of your being with chocolate, what do you do? Give in? Eat just a little? Or refuse and force everyone around you to deal with your bitterness of being a woman and suffering from hormone overload and cocoa deficiency (I swear that's a real thing)?

Me, I just enjoyed the crap out of a Mr. Big and am plotting a plate full of raw veggies for dinner tonight. However, I'm not sore about this at all. I actually LIKE a plate of raw veggies for dinner sometimes :/

Eat low sugar dark chocolate - won't mess too much with your blood glucose and mood, packed with minerals. Most commercial chocolate is way more sugar than cocoa, akin to self medicating with 'legal highs'.

And take a tough look at your diet all month round, are you getting enough/ a balance of all the minerals, plenty of fibre, essential fatty acids especially long chain omega-3s? There really is plenty that can be done for hormonal fluctuations and PMS with consistently good nutrition.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options

^^^ or more! haha

Oh and I'm BIG on Dark chocolate... not so much milk :) Eating chocolate after weights helps reduce the soreness of the muscles ;)
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    For me, one small piece of really excellent chocolate will fill the void, while tons of cheap chocolate will not. So I have that one piece. I have personally found that if I ignore a craving it only gets worse, then I end up bingeing on the food.
  • darkheart
    darkheart Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I eat a piece of dark chocolate here and there and try not to go overboard! My new favorite thing to do for chocolate cravings is slice up a banana, put a teeny bit of natural PB (a tablespoon should be more than enough for the whole banana) on each banana slice and then top the slices off with a thumbnail sized piece of dark chocolate (or chocolate chips!). It's delicious and healthy!

486335_192854400855107_369496315_n.jpg

Edit: Included a photo so everyone gets the idea (that's not my photo... I use less pb than that)!
  • beautifulbrat
    Options
    last time i had a visit from aunt flo i had an ounce of chocolate covered pretzels and that did the trick
  • crabbyab90
    crabbyab90 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I just got some of the Hershey's Simple Pleasures and 2 pieces has 60 calories and it just the right amount to make the world a brighter place!
  • kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I keep Hershey's dark chocolate kisses in the cabinet - try to stick to no more than 5 per day, sometimes easier said than done though.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I typically go with Skinny Cow. Most of their chocolate is really good and really low calorie! Sometimes I also drink dark chocolate almond milk and that does the trick.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I keep some bakers dark chocolate around just in case
  • crjohnston12
    crjohnston12 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    They say if you are craving chocolate your body wants the nutrients found in almonds.
    :)

This is VERY interesting to me. Can you elaborate on this a little further? How often are cravings related to a lack of nutrients?

Thanks!

P.S. it's everything in me right now not to go get a snicker bar from the vending machine...biting my nails is just not doing the trick, LOL.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    Chocolate, ice cream or whatever I crave. It doesn't have to be that TOM either.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I ate almost an entire box of swiss cake rolls during my period this last time. Boyfriend only got one after I made him go buy them for me. That being said, I made them fit into my day. And luckily I only get this way once every 3 months.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

^^^ or more! haha

Oh and I'm BIG on Dark chocolate... not so much milk :) Eating chocolate after weights helps reduce the soreness of the muscles ;)

And it also contains anti-oxidants and magnesium and increases serotonin. :bigsmile:
  • lyrical_melody
    lyrical_melody Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I cave and eat my comfort food...one time wont hurt
  • JESSJESJ
    JESSJESJ Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    eat the chocolate - I've been going with cups of hot chocolate when I want that sugar / chocolate craving - doesn't always work but I generally feel like I'm eating a lot of chocolate and it cures my craving.