Daily weight fluctuations - looking for advice

Options
I'm about three weeks in (yes I know...total newbie) and have been using MFP religiously, what an awesome tool. My daily calorie goal is 1600, (not NET as I am trying not to eat the calories I earn back with workouts) and I have been working out 5-6 days a week.

I had a pretty steady trend down from 217 over last couple of weeks to a new low of 208.5 on Monday am. Tuesday a.m. I weighed 213!!?? Didn't change anything. This a.m. I am back down to 211, but still 2.5 heavier than two days ago without changing anything. Is this easily explained? Should I stop weighing every day? Also if anyone wants to take a look at my info and let me know thoughts on my nutrition or anything else....advice more than welcomed!

Help, I'm slightly frustrated. Very focused on my initial goal of reaching 200lbs by Mar 1.

Replies

• larosevear
    Options
    In your workouts are you lifting weights? Muscles weigh more than fat.
  • Grognit
    Grognit Posts: 50
    Options
    Your weight can fluctuate in pounds on a daily basis - don't weigh yourself once a day, it is discouraging to see the scale up and down like that and it is probably not a true measure. In the past I have gone on an eating binge because I was depressed to see the number 2, 3 or even 5 lbs heavier.

Weigh yourself once a week, at the same time, in the same clothes with the same scale.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're consuming enough calories and your body has made adjustments. Read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    It is highly likely that you r not eating enough. If 1600 is your gross and you dont eat back exercise calories, u r probably netting 1200-1300, which is way too low for a guy your size. Your losses have stalled because of this.
  • kirstencorren
    kirstencorren Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Dont weigh yourself everyday. Do it once a week on the same day at the same time. I personally weigh in monday mornings. Post bathroom- Pre breakfast. The fluctuation you are seeing is most likely water weight.

Welcome to MFP!
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    1600 cals for a bloke working out 5 days a week seems really low to me! Estimating an average kind of workout to be 400 cals you are netting way too low. Aim for 1600-1800 net and weigh once a week
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I can fluctuate my weight up to 8 lbs. some days depending on what I've eaten. Just start weighing yourself weekly or bi weekly instead for a better estimate!
  • benday1671
    benday1671 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do weights 2x a week, and cardio 3-4x a week.
  • jjrichard83
    Options
    I'm about three weeks in (yes I know...total newbie) and have been using MFP religiously, what an awesome tool. My daily calorie goal is 1600, (not NET as I am trying not to eat the calories I earn back with workouts) and I have been working out 5-6 days a week.

I had a pretty steady trend down from 217 over last couple of weeks to a new low of 208.5 on Monday am. Tuesday a.m. I weighed 213!!?? Didn't change anything. This a.m. I am back down to 211, but still 2.5 heavier than two days ago without changing anything. Is this easily explained? Should I stop weighing every day? Also if anyone wants to take a look at my info and let me know thoughts on my nutrition or anything else....advice more than welcomed!

Help, I'm slightly frustrated. Very focused on my initial goal of reaching 200lbs by Mar 1.

try adding in a cheat day - spike your calorie intake to 2000 or so for that day. well planned cheat days can have a positive effect on weight loss. PM if you need help
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It's water retention and release. Just remember the 1 Lb up or down of fat would constitute 3,500 calories above your maintenance TDEE in a single day to actually gain or lose 1 Lb of actual fat...pretty tough to do.

I used to fluctuate a lot...still do a little, but it's gotten better since I started watching my sodium intake closely (doctors orders) and making sure I was getting lots of water to flush it all out; I generally tend to be in the 1,500-2,000 mg range. Also, if your potassium levels are low...particularly if they're lower than your sodium levels, this can lead to water retention...those two things have to be balanced out. I also retain water when I do something new with my workout routine or start a new workout routine.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    It is a total preference about weighing every day. HOWEVER, I am a strong advocate for it. Here is a real example of my recent data:

measureprogress.gif

There is enough error in weighing that if you don't have a sufficient number of data points, you really don't know what is going on. The key is to not take any single datapoint seriously. You need a bunch so you can create a trend.
  • jjrichard83
    Options
    Also working out is 20-30% of the equation. the main focus is diet. In fact, you may be working out WAY too much.

try limiting cardio to 2x week and weights the same. You may see more gains in the gym and more loss on the scale
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I agree with weighing yourself weekly. It will do your head in weighing daily.

Being a newbie I think you should work at the energy in vs energy out way of things. Dont focus on eating back your exercise calories and eating more just yet. It can all be a bit daughting and confusing!! Plenty of people here have dropped weight by using the goals and macros set by MFP.

Monitor it for a good month and then maybe look at making changes.
  • Kazzabob
    Kazzabob Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm often heavier the day after a weights workout; also my weight can be delayed after a slightly naughty weekend - but doesn't show on the scales until a few days later; hormones can also lead to weight differnces. I would say - don't weigh yourself everyday - but then that would be the pot calling the kettle black! If you find it demotivates you however, move to a weekly weigh in!

Good luck!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

Being a newbie I think you should work at the energy in vs energy out way of things. Dont focus on eating back your exercise calories and eating more just yet. It can all be a bit daughting and confusing!! Plenty of people here have dropped weight by using the goals and macros set by MFP.
    You do realise that the goals set by MFP include eating back exercise calories?

OP - weigh every day, or not, as it suits you. I do, for the reasons outlined by GauchoMark. Weighing every day has made me much more comfortable with weight fluctuations. Other people find they can never get their head around it and prefer to weigh less often so they don't get demotivated by an unexplained gain. Fluctuations are completely normal; weight loss is not linear and there are lots of factors that affect your weight on any given day, not just fat.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

Weigh in once a week. There are too many fluctuations and variables day to day! Also, for a guy, you're not eating enough! Somebody posted the link for 'In place of a road map' in their response, I'd encourage you to check it out and re-calculate your daily calorie goal.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I'm about three weeks in (yes I know...total newbie) and have been using MFP religiously, what an awesome tool. My daily calorie goal is 1600, (not NET as I am trying not to eat the calories I earn back with workouts)

If you are following MFP the way it was designed to work (ie you haven't set your own custom calorie goal based on a cut from your TDEE), then those workout calories aren't supposed to be a "bonus". You're supposed to eat them to fuel your exercise. The goal given to you by MFP did not factor in any exercise you do, if it did, you would have been given a higher goal. Very large calorie deficits can be counter-productive over the long term.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    You should be eating more. I am a female and net 1500.

Recalculate how many calories to eat in a day. If you don't want to eat back any of the false you burn from exercise figure out your tree and eat based on a 20% cut from that.

You want to eat enough and consume enough protein in addition to lifting heavy weights to ensure you don't lose a lot of muscle while trying to lose fat.

Don't weigh daily... Weigh once a week tops. Your weight will change daily based on exercise, food choices, among other things.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    stop weighing yourself every day.
  • cunfewzed1
    Options
    stop weighing yourself every day.

this. once per week. my day is Friday. pick a day, weight yourself after using the restroom in the morning.

/thread