Shin spint...argh...need help

Options
Six weeks ago i got a shin splint, it was due to overzealous running in old shoes. The left inner leg hurts bad, i have been doing heel walks n raises n it is hardly noticeable till the point i get on the treadmill again, i have been taking it very slow. Does anybody know anything which can help, i have been doing RICE but how long wil it be before i can run again

Replies

• junkintrunk5
    junkintrunk5 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It could be a slow process.......good shoes for sure, icing your shins after each run......are you running on an incline? If not, try adding an incline to place your foot in an different position while running. When you feel uncomfortable, you should stop and not try to "run" through the pain (causing a worse injury). TIME:)
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    bump. I think I have shin splints too so interested in what people have to say.
  • kznovo
    kznovo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Shin splints will be the death of me. I am also curious to what others will say.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Try the exercises listed at the link below. It helped me.

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/0161-shin-splints-treatment.htm
  • MomiTia
    MomiTia Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanku, lookin them over
  • liftingcoach
    liftingcoach Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    make sure the shoes you are wearing have adequate arch support. You might even want to invest in additional arch support, or wrap your arch with athletic tape prior to running. Many times shin splints are caused from the pounding of the feet on pavement, without adequate or high enough arch support, and in effect stretch out the muscles and tendons in the shin from all the pounding.
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    make sure the shoes you are wearing have adequate arch support. You might even want to invest in additional arch support, or wrap your arch with athletic tape prior to running. Many times shin splints are caused from the pounding of the feet on pavement, without adequate or high enough arch support, and in effect stretch out the muscles and tendons in the shin from all the pounding.

This EXACTLY. I saw a physical therapist for it and it's all about bad foot placement/posture/pronation. He said it's not actually little fractures in your shin bones like people think, but sharp pains in the tendon that runs the front of your calf and controls your foot movement. Look up "pronate" and learning how to walk/land your feet properly. A week of walking correctly in good arch-supportive shoes and after 15 years of the problem I never had shin splints again. Seriously - it's been 4 years since I felt that pain.