Dealing with a FOOD hostile work environment

I have delt with this the last 3 years of my weight loss journey. I would say 4 out of 5 days a week they order lunch in. We are allowed to eat at our desk so I have delish smelling food all around me almost every day. I am hard core when It comes to will power and only eat give in maybe 4 times a year and have some. There also always food brought in in the breakroom, carry ins etc…. I am literally the only person that watches what I eat. I have 2 other girls on the other side of the building that are supportive but NO one in my office. In fact they give me a hard time for being so strict. My “cheat” days are on Friday’s when I go out to eat with my husband so I’m not wasting calories on every day junk at work but sometimes it is Sooooooo hard. Even though I know I am healthier and look and feel way better I am actually JEALOUS of them!! I want to eat pizza hut, mcdonalds, cookie and donuts all day long!! I just need know if anyone else suffers thru this. How do you keep your motivation to stay away and how do you break these feeling of anger toward them lol?

Replies

• BaileyP3
    BaileyP3 Posts: 151 Member
    This sounds like every office environment that I've worked in. Unfortunately you can't dictate the behavior of others so perhaps you should try and get out of the office at lunchtime. Go for a walk around the building, sit outside and read a book...

I have a friend whose adult son and son's g/f have moved in. Son told my friend to get rid of various temptations. The answer was 'sorry but no. Discipline yourself'

We are all responsible for our own self-discipline. No one said that it would be easy but it is what it is. Good luck
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    You just have to learn not to pay attention to what everyone else is eating/saying. You cant control other people so just focus on yourself.

Dont be jealous of them/ That fast food crap sucks. The longer you eat healthy the more that manufactured crap they eat will truly taste like crap to you.

I didnt eat McDonalds for 5-6 yrs. One day last year I agreed to eat there. It tasted worse than cardboard to me. You are not missing anything.

BTW---I am seriously a fan of your username :bigsmile:
  • There’s always chocolate sitting out in our break room and in the main office area, usually within my line of sight. As well my building has a fast food court in it. I feel your pain but personal willpower is your only ‘solution’. Keep being strong!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    I have delt with this the last 3 years of my weight loss journey. I would say 4 out of 5 days a week they order lunch in. We are allowed to eat at our desk so I have delish smelling food all around me almost every day. I am hard core when It comes to will power and only eat give in maybe 4 times a year and have some. There also always food brought in in the breakroom, carry ins etc…. I am literally the only person that watches what I eat. I have 2 other girls on the other side of the building that are supportive but NO one in my office. In fact they give me a hard time for being so strict. My “cheat” days are on Friday’s when I go out to eat with my husband so I’m not wasting calories on every day junk at work but sometimes it is Sooooooo hard. Even though I know I am healthier and look and feel way better I am actually JEALOUS of them!! I want to eat pizza hut, mcdonalds, cookie and donuts all day long!! I just need know if anyone else suffers thru this. How do you keep your motivation to stay away and how do you break these feeling of anger toward them lol?

I see 88 lbs lost on your ticker.
    If anyone else has a problem with your dietary choices they can eat this big calorie dense duck. And when I say duck I don't really mean duck.

(1)How many people have lost 88lbs in your office and (2)how many need to lose 88lbs. I'm guessing the answers are:

1) Almost none.
    and
    2) Quite a few.

You stick to your plan and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.
  • Annieapple12
    Annieapple12 Posts: 122 Member
    There is a lot of cake on my office. And my boyfriend who I live with is constantly eating crisps and biscuits. It's hard sometimes but I just don't eat them.

I find that if I make sure I am not starving hungry it is a lot easier to resist. I have oatcakes and fruit on my desk so I eat them if I am hungry rather than reaching for some cake.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    I don't expect everyone to give up their treats just because I'm watching what I eat. I simply don't participate; or, if I really want a cookie, I make room for it in my calories. I don't blame them or feel like they're doing it on purpose. It's not their fault I'm fat, and it's up to me to have the willpower to avoid the food. It's not like they're forcing it down my throat.

"Food hostile" is a bit strong, don't you think?
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    I'm in agreement with some othere people here-- the people who are notwatching what they eat will someday be overweight if they are not already-- bet THEY are jealous of your weight loss and willpower... Enjoy your cheat day with your hubby, and remember that you are enjoying your thinner body-- way to go!
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    There's always food around here, luckily it's not that close to me which means I don't see/smell it all day. Sometimes it's helpful though if I forget lunch. We don't really order anything too bad here, it's mostly wraps or sandwhiches.
  • lyrical_melody
    lyrical_melody Posts: 242 Member
    I used to and currently work in this type of enviornment, although now where I work all of the employees are a little more conscious of it. When I worked at my previous corporate position I would eat outside in the summer and spring, which would get me away from the bad food adn being outside just made me want to eat less. Or, if it was not as nice I would NOT eat at my desk (eating at your desk tends to make you eat more anyway because you are busy doing something), but I would go for a walk or eat in a different area. I would generally use my lunch breaks for something other then eating.

Good luck and stay strong. Most work enviornments are like this.
  • lyrical_melody
    lyrical_melody Posts: 242 Member
    -the people who are notwatching what they eat will someday be overweight if they are not already-- bet THEY are jealous of your weight loss and willpower... Enjoy your cheat day with your hubby, and remember that you are enjoying your thinner body-- way to go!

AGREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!!!!!! :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,301 Member
    I know. But you have excellent coping skills! It must be really difficult, but you've done it.

Enjoy your new healthy life whlie those around you are slowly killing themselves.

Well done!
  • recruit a co worker and bring a bowl of fresh fruit, nuts and veggies to put in the snack room. It worked wonders here.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Generally I don't care what food is left out for people to grab/share. I have my own snacks and I eat them instead. Every once and a while I've taken some of something that's left out. I don't take much and if it skews my numbers I put in extra time at the gym that night.

I won't turn my nose up at everything ,all the time, but I also wont eat EVERYTHING. Moderation is key and if you are constantly denying yourself everything sooner or later you'll go gonzo binge happy.
  • Thanks for the replies! I will stay strong! And yes everyone in my office is over weight except 1 person. Most of them are 70 to 150 lbs overweight too. I guess I'm not jealous of that. I do walk every single day on my lunch even in the freezing weather lol. Somedays are much easier. Today wa just one of those hard days! Pizza and breadsticks smelled soooo good! Thanks for the encouraging words! It's helps a lot that someone else understands!
  • UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member

Well said 'side steel' Love your comment. Great motivating!

I wish more offices would make it so that people didn't eat at their desks. For several reasons - I am a geek and to see what is in people's keyboards is so revolting it is beyond words. Secondly, where have our social skills gone? Is it so impossible to ask people to sit around a table for like 30 minutes to respect their food and each other? It isn't surprising they order all sorts of rubbish - when you eat at your desk you obviously don't care that much about it - otherwise you would go out and make an effort. I hate the smell of lingering food in the air so I would also try to see if people couldn't eat in a designated break room...but if that isn't your offices' culture I'd leave that.

I think the previous poster hit the nail on the head - get out of the office and move and go and sit somewhere for your lunch. Another thing you could do is to recruit some friends to your team - let someone you like in the office know about a great place within walking distance that you like to eat your brought in lunch or a great little place you could pick something up and give them a day that you go there. What you will find is that you will become the pied piper of the office as people get interested in the novelty of the new place but also in the out of the office thing. I always found my day was smoother and less stressful when I got out and about. Even if that meant just a walk around the block in the industrial park where I worked.

I see 88 lbs lost on your ticker.
    If anyone else has a problem with your dietary choices they can eat this big calorie dense duck. And when I say duck I don't really mean duck.

(1)How many people have lost 88lbs in your office and (2)how many need to lose 88lbs. I'm guessing the answers are:

1) Almost none.
    and
    2) Quite a few.

You stick to your plan and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.
  • Even though I do get out everyone has different lunch hours and food is usually out from 11 to 2!!!!! We used to have a no food at our desk policy. I would love to go back to that. I will stay strong no matter what!! Thanks guys!! :)
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Thanks for the replies! I will stay strong! And yes everyone in my office is over weight except 1 person. Most of them are 70 to 150 lbs overweight too. I guess I'm not jealous of that. I do walk every single day on my lunch even in the freezing weather lol. Somedays are much easier. Today wa just one of those hard days! Pizza and breadsticks smelled soooo good! Thanks for the encouraging words! It's helps a lot that someone else understands!

When you're thinking "man, I really want a piece of that pizza..." take a long, hard look at the person about to eat it. Odds are, they're overweight (at least in my office). That always stops me.
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    My office isn't quite that bad but there is a lot of peer pressure to go out to eat with everyone. Donuts are brought in once a week, we have pizza friday once a month, etc. I'm pretty good at resisting, and when the good-smelling stuff comes in I walk down to my gym just two blocks away. They have classes every day at lunchtime and there are other people in my company that go there, so I get a good support system from them!
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    I deal with the same thing. I pay no attention to them. I try to focus more on the amount of money I am saving by not eating out every single day. I look good and so does my credit/bank account.:drinker:
  • tpt1950
    tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
    Look at your ticker - it says 88 POUNDS LOST - that is what should inspire you to go on no matter what.... of course it's difficult and of course it takes time, but you are doing it - just keep doing it and don't let anything or anyone get in your way!