Prepacked lunches/recipes for college students! Help!

Options
I am returning back to my college courses this Spring and I am deathly afraid that I am not going to find time to make nutritious and healthy choices. The prime choice would be, of course, to pack my lunch/snacks/dinner the night before, but sometimes this can be a challenge.I tend not to eat at the cafeteria as it is way pricey, but sometimes I'll stop for an apple or banana. Most of my classes run till late at night 9:30-10:00 and I'll typically leave for work around 8:30am. I need all my meals all prepared the night before... it sounds exhausting but I'm sure with your help I can manage. If you have any tips please feel welcome to share them. Any recipes or websites would be really helpful, or any other pointers of "eating on the go".

Replies

• tynishabeezfit
    tynishabeezfit Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Ramen, lots of ramen.lol j/k. You should check out the eat clean book from Tosca Reno.
  • notmac
    notmac Posts: 89
    Options
    Peanut Butter on wheat bread, tuna (single serving foil pack) with a salad, fruit is always good, cereal, protein bars or shake, I take the powder and just add water and ice for a dinner.
  • katrwal
    katrwal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    OK - lots depends on whether you have a refrigerator into which you can stash your goodies, but here's what I do (work in an office, with refrigerator accessible):
    - morning snack: fruit (apple or orange), greek yogurt (vanilla mixed with frozen cherries - cheaper & lower sugar - who knew?), granola bar
    - lunch: salad, bag of chopped veggies (carrots, broccoli, cauliflour, sweet peppers), cottage cheese
    - afternoon snack: almonds (i get the dark chocolate mint-flavored dry roasted ones to help my sweet tooth), grapes, crackers & baba ghanoush (or hummous)

i find that, even if i don't have it in the fridge, it all lasts in my thermal bag for the 8 hours i'm at the office.

i chop the lettuce & veggies on Sundays, and portion everything out the night before - usually takes me about 15 minutes (although this morning i packed my bag during my rests between circuits of a bodyweight workout i'm doing).

best of luck!
  • lindseym18
    Options
    Ramen, lots of ramen.lol. check out the eat clean book from Tosca reno

Ramen isn't exactly the most healthy choice. Tons of sodium but it is very cheap! I would suggest making sandwiches, fresh fruit and veggies, lots of granola bars and those little 100 cal snack pack of nuts! What about some yogurt too?
  • tynishabeezfit
    tynishabeezfit Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Ramen, lots of ramen.lol. check out the eat clean book from Tosca reno

Ramen isn't exactly the most healthy choice. Tons of sodium but it is very cheap! I would suggest making sandwiches, fresh fruit and veggies, lots of granola bars and those little 100 cal snack pack of nuts! What about some yogurt too?

I was just joking on the ramen. I think most people would know that is not the best of choices.
  • JElizabethJB
    Options
    I cook meals for my work days on my days off. I usually put a weeks' worth of dinners in the fridge in about an hour usually two options that way I can alternate what I eat. I've been eating chili with lots of beans and a little meat. Also eating a lot of veggies helps. If you have access to a fridge and microwave you can take steam-able veggies. sometime I stem them for lunch and take a serving or two with me to add to dinner.