What happens when I reach my goal weight?

Options
Hey guys, I ask a lot questions, I know. Hahaha. Sorry!

But, I want to get somewhere around 130 pounds. I'm wondering what do I do to maintain that weight someday? I really don't want to be counting calories for the rest of my life. I don't want to be on a "diet" for the rest of my life. I know that when I get down to 130 (and possibly before that!) I'm going to take up dancing again. I miss ballet and tap and jazz and all that good stuff. And maybe I'll even take up gymnastics again.

So am I going to have to stay on a diet for the rest of my life? Or will I be able to eat... Without really worrying that much?

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Losing weight and deciding to maintain it is all about making healthy choices FOR LIFE. When you get to your goal weight, you don't get to go back to the old ways, you'll put it all back on and then some if you do that. Making conscious healthy choices every day until you die is how you're going to keep the weight off.
  • Sondraelise
    Options
    Once you reach your goal weight, you'll need to increase your calories. You may want to continue tracking those calories for a little while so that you learn what you can eat and what you can't, and how many calories your favorite foods have. You can't just go back to eating like you did before you lost the weight, you still have to pay attention and exercise. I'm sure this site can help you with all of that though. So, bottom line, you get to eat more but you still have to watch what you eat!

Good Luck and congrats on losing 18lbs so far!!
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Well remember this is not a diet its a lifestyle change :smile: Once you get down to your goal its up to you on whether or not you want to keep counting, many can get away with not counting anymore because they've learned how to eat... exercise plays a key role in maintaining in my opinion, I don't always count but I do keep a mental note of what I've eaten which helps me, sometimes I log it, sometimes I don't... I just listen to my body and eat healthy whole foods.. good luck!

~Leash :heart:
  • nakrya
    nakrya Posts: 191
    Options
    I think as long as you maintain being active, eat right and keep that balance, you should have no problem. Remember what got you to your undesired weight in the first place. Keep up the good habits and you'll be fine.
  • sparkles321
    sparkles321 Posts: 107
    Options
    I'm not at my goal weight, but I think we all can recognize that dealing with weight issues is a never-ending battle. Haven't we all lost weight before? And then gained it back before? Maintaining that weight loss takes as much effort as losing it in the first place. Take your eye off that prize and you'll find that scale creeping up again.

That said, you will be able to relax a little and increase your calories. You might even be able to go back to something such as a normal dessert every night instead of opting for low-fat or less frequency. But it will be a trial and error thing to discover what works for your body. If you see that scale moving back up (more than 5 pounds, give yourself a little wiggle room for water weight that normally fluxuates) you'll know you're doing something wrong.
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    You wont need to log everything you eat for the rest of your life. By the time you get to your goal weight, if you keep reading about health and nutrition and fitness along the way (and success breeds a lot of interest in this regard), then you'll be able to live healthily without being neurotic about it. But, you can't get to a healthy point, then adopt an unhealthy lifestyle and expect to stay healthy.

My advice; become interest in health, nutrition and fitness. Find out how to enjoy it. Because you need to make this a lifestyle if you want to be healthy long term. It can't be a chore, or it just wont work.