Day 9 & starting to think of bad foods

Options
Hi, i'm on day 9 and my mind is starting to go down the 'ooooh chocolate would be good right now' & 'so could murder something from kfc'. I know this is not good thinking but one good thing is I worked a kfc into my cals but then decided against it. Yeah that may sound like i'm goin down the right road but negativity is setting in and im scared I may come off my new way of life (hate the word diet).
Maybe it's just a bad day.. Who knows just writing it down may help.
I should be happy as had a good weight loss (yet wanted more) and it is the longest I have stuck @ healthy eating but the buzz has gone for me now and i'am slowly coming back to the reality of how much weight I have to lose (6 stone).
If anyone else has been through this I would be happy to hear what got you through it.
Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this.

Replies

• Jeredward
    Jeredward Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've heard that it takes an average person about three weeks to curb the cravings of food that they've previously eaten, or in other words, that they were addicted to. That means you're halfway there, so keep going!! These cravings will lessen over time and you'll be a better person for it!
  • angiemochrie
    Options
    Hey, everyone goes through that at least everyone I have spoken to, If you are starting to think of it just have something small to get that thought / craving out of your head, this new way of eating is a life change and if you limit yourself too much you will start to hate it and eventually quit doing it. I too slipped yesterday as I was feeling crappy with a cold and wanted something bad so I had a kid's meal from McDonald's (I know terrible) although the carloies were more than I would normally eat, it is a once in a while thing not a constant and I walked alittle longer than normal to even it out. If I hadn't done that I would have been eating everything in sight just looking for what I was initially wanting.

Just thought you might want me 2 cents :)

The weight you've lost is great, keep up the good work as I know it is hard sometimes, give in (in moderation of course)
  • NikiTony
    NikiTony Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Moderation. Food is always a problem when I begin a new workout routine. I don't cut out the foods that are bad, because..let's face it! That's a joke. Especially when you're on your way to healthier lifestyle. It is okay to indulge every once in awhile, just not too much! Just know when to stop. Eating one piece of chocolate or fried chicken isn't going to kill you. Try getting the bite size chocolates and have one a day to curve those cravings. It isn't going to make or break you. :) Just keep sticking to your routine of working out and eating healthy! YOU CAN DO IT! WOO!!
  • dcglobalgirl
    dcglobalgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Since a lot of it is psychological, you need to fight it with your mind. Read LOTS of success stories, post questions like you've done, read blogs, whatever it takes until the craving passes.

If you're writing the question instead of eating, you've already taken a huge first step. It shows that you really WANT to succeed.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Everyone goes through this. It's perfectly normal to feel that way! It takes a while for your body to drop the cravings. About two months into my new lifestyle (not a diet!) I started automatically craving the healthier option. Trust me, it does happen. Now if you put a bucket of delicious KFC in front of me OR a giant bowl of quinoa with an egg on top, I will go for the quinoa and the egg. Seriously. And I was a junk food JUNKIE. I lived on frozen and fried food.

Let your body adjust. And don't be too permissive in the beginning. Lighten up as you can prove to yourself that you can control your intake. Nobody says NO CHICKEN FINGERS but the deal is you can't have SIX of them. :) If you have a good control on portions and can avoid bingeing, you can work in those less healthy foods now and then. (Just not every day!)

Stick with it. You can do it. There is NO reason to think you'll fail just because you have a craving. A craving will pass.
  • Amazonbella
    Options
    There is NO "Bad Food" if you look at food as "good" or "bad" you won't be very successful. You have to learn about PORTION control and balance. If you want a piece of chocolate, then have one piece, track and calculate it and adjust the rest of your day and calories (same goes for alcohol, ect ect ect) I don't go deprive myself of every thing, this is a lifestyle, not a quick fix, it must be something you can sustain in order to be successful.

Relax, you can do this! :)

Also make it fun, take those foods you love that may not be the healthiest of choices and learn to make lower calorie/lower fat options that tast just as great if not better. That is what I did with Tex-Mex fast food, I never get that anymore because I created healthy alternatives I love even more! :)
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    1) have 2 squares of quality dark chocolate. Unless you think that will lead to a binge fest...in which case

2) have some fruit, herbal tea, nuts, lots of water. Read a book, go for a walk, do your nails, get focused on a certain task at work, keep busy. It will pass and when it does, the feeling of not giving in is amazing. The feeling of being bloated from a binge of bad foods (especially after eating really well for 9 days) is HORRIBLE!!!
  • tmazionsmith
    Options
    I don't know your specific plan, but one of the things about Weight Watchers I loved was that I could have whatever I wanted, as long as I didn't go over my daily/weekly limits and I kept to my exercise routine. If you think you can't ever have KFC, then you are likely to not stick with your fitness goals. I know that as soon as I'm told I can't have something, I want it 5x more - it is such a psychological game. Have what you like, but be smart about it. I finally got that when I started WW 3 years ago; it must've worked, as I have kept off 70 pounds. Best of luck!
  • Ramiresh
    Options
    Hi - I just restarted my "new way of life" against January 6th so ive been on it for a couple of weeks. Have lost like 14 pounds already. I constantly think of bad foods. But I am learning to read my body because everything I crave is what is bad for my body. But at this point I have to listen to my consious because my cholesterol came back high first time in my life and my liver is fatty. Doctor told me I need to turn into a workout guru and have an entirely different eating lifestyle. I also fear going back to my old ways and I daydream with bad food but I keep reminding myself that I am not only doing this to look better but also for my health.
    We are all going thru it... hang in there. And if the craving is so bad have one piece and get back into it. You can do it.
  • Lisa2bHappy
    Options
    Hi jeredward,
    Thanks for your comment.. It has really given me hope and uplifted me :-)
    3 weeks.. Wow.. When put like that it does not seem so bad really.
  • wisconsinboogie
    wisconsinboogie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I battle that evil little voice daily, that tries to sabotage my progress....fight the urge and you will feel better!!!
  • Lana1253
    Options
    I eat what ever I want as long as it fits in my calorie intake,and the sodium is not to high. For me if the sodium is to high I have to drink lots more water to flush it out. And I make sure I have 3 meals a day .
  • Lisa2bHappy
    Options
    Wow I just replied to the first person who posted and then saw all these comments.. I'm truly blown away with how quick it was to get support & I certainly will not forget what you all have said. Thank you so much, i'm touched I really am ;-)
  • JULIEdance
    JULIEdance Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their bad days or weak moments after doing well for some time, sooner or later, and it´s pretty normal. We crave "bad foods" (whatever this means to us), we are "too tired" to exercise, or too busy to plan the meals propperly and then grab the easiest but not so good options. We all know this no matter what our weight and goals are.
    Try to be strong, the cravings may just go away after some time. If you feel you can´t resist, try to get a very small amount of what you want and enjoy it. If you decide not to have it, don´t say "Never! / You can´t" to yoursef, think of it as "Not now / Later."
    One bad day shouldn´t stop you from trying to adopt a healthier lifestyle. Being strong is not just being able to do awesome for days and weeks, but also to being able to continue even if you give in for a moment and mess up. Don´t let the final goal discourage you, try to concentrate on smaller ones you can reach sooner and go from one to the next one.
    Hope this helps. Good luck : -)
  • CristyMusicLovr
    CristyMusicLovr Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My advice to you is if you crave chocolate eat a small chocolate plain! Otherwise you'll be thinking about it the whole day if you are like me lol I love candy and I do have some every other day or now almost everyday since my sis brought a lot from Mexico. I am giving a lot of the candy away to skinny people hehehahaheha because there is a lot of temptation for me having all that candy at home; you can have a lot of the things you crave but pick the healthier version with the lowest calories and the days you eat the most make sure you work out and drink lots of water to keep you full.
  • Wwonderful
    Options
    1) have 2 squares of quality dark chocolate. Unless you think that will lead to a binge fest...in which case

2) have some fruit, herbal tea, nuts, lots of water. Read a book, go for a walk, do your nails, get focused on a certain task at work, keep busy. It will pass and when it does, the feeling of not giving in is amazing. The feeling of being bloated from a binge of bad foods (especially after eating really well for 9 days) is HORRIBLE!!!
    Great Advice!!
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I've heard that it takes an average person about three weeks to curb the cravings of food that they've previously eaten, or in other words, that they were addicted to. That means you're halfway there, so keep going!! These cravings will lessen over time and you'll be a better person for it!

yep, i quit dipping tobacco and drinking sugary drinks cold turkey after 3 weeks.
  • Lisa2bHappy
    Options
    Hi all,
    The problem with me is I know if I eat what im craving I will not stop so have decided not to untill I can say I will only have a little and mean it.. Like really mean it. So for now i'm best to not give in :-o
    Thanks again for all your comments x
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I've always had one cheat day per week and it never hindered my progress, as long as you don't 'binge' and don't let it run into a second day you'll be fine :smile: My 'cheat' is usually a take away and some milk chocolate :happy:
  • Lisa2bHappy
    Options
    Thank you :-)