Oat so simple vs rolled oats??

Options
Hi all,

I have been stuck in a breakfast rut. I had some Oat so simple original oats this morning made with almond milk and some choc protein powder mixed in and I very much enjoyed it!!

It was quick, easy, warm and filling :)

I don't usually have oats (have been low carbing in the past and am sticking to the lower end 100-120g carbs) but am trying to up them a bit so thought I'd give oats a go. Happened to have some Oat So Simple sachets (27g) in the cupboard so grabbed one this morning. Enjoyed it so much that I thought I'd have it more often!

BUT, my question is, how do they compare to rolled oats? Is there really much nutritional difference between the quick and easy Oat So and the traditional rolled oats on the hob?

I track Cals, Carbs, Fats, Protein

Oat so Simple original (27g) = Calories 98, Carbs 17 g, Total Fat 2 g, Protein 3 g
Rolled oats (also 27g) = Calories 101, Carbs 16 g, Total Fat 2 g, Protein 3 g

Now, both of the above are made my Quaker. I compared like for like weight to keep it fair. They look almost identical!

Oat so Simple ingredients:
Quaker Rolled Oats
Stabiliser: Lecithin* (soya)
*Soya Lecithin is added to minimise boiling over in the microwave

Rolled Oats ingredients:
100% Wholegrain Rolled Oats

So the main difference is the addition of the Lecithin. What are your opinions on this?

And another thing... why is it that the portion for rolled oats is 40g serving without milk yet the Oat So Simple is a 27g serving?! I find this a bit odd!

Replies

• chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    ummm...not an expert, but I would think the main (other than the addition of Lethicin?) difference is the cost!! As for the carb issue, I am trying not to eat too much wheat products but I think oats are meant to be heart healthy. Hope this helps:smile:
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I put 30g of rolled oats in jug in microwave with double the l volume of water and add frozen berries. Microwave for 5 mins. Yum. You could milk or half and half but you don't need it, wTer isvOK if you want to save the calories.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I just microwave regular rolled oats and water in the microwave for a minute and fifteen seconds (I like my oatmeal with some texture). It's just a few pennies a serving vs. many more pennies for prepackaged.
  • AmericaninAustralia
    Options
    100% is the best choice I think,if you have to choose between 2 of something, pick the one with 100% grain,100%wholewheat or 100%wholemeal,
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    chatogal wrote:
    ... main (other than the addition of Lethicin?) difference is the cost!!

I agree.
    Buy a big pack of cheap oats.
    It's just as good as small packs with fancy marketing gimmicks.
    Don't be fooled by words like 'quick' or 'fast'. It's all quick.
    You can also try oatbran - it's just as easy to cook and better for you.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Rolled oats are more processed than you would imagine, they are flaked and steamed and generally messed about with. The nutrients do not change but they are faster cooking and faster digested/ absorbed. You might consider steel cut or jumbo oats if you want a more filling or longer lasting breakfast. Otherwise add lecithin or other fats to regular porridge/ rolled oats yourself and save money!