Are my Calves too skinny? [pics]

Options
Let me explain growing up I always had big fat legs and now that I've vanished weight and build muscle I have some days when I think my calves are too small yet looking in the internet for proportion ratio it seems they are alright... and then there I days when I think my calves are just fine, but then again a skinny calves day comes and I don't know what to think, so are my calves skinny or fine?

Calves 14.6 In
Quads 22.0 In
Waist 33.0

Snapshot_20130116_4_zps0e617c7f.jpg
Snapshot_20130116_2_zps4e7dd5f5.jpg

Edit BTW: I do train legs, and use heavy weights for every exercise - my calves are quite strong and I do extra set and reps to [6 sets of 50 to actually feel something].

I guess the problem could be the amounts of cardio I do...

edit: another picture
Snapshot_20130116_7_zps8f61a63d.jpg

Replies

• red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    tiny
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    In proportion to your quads, they do look (at least in the bottom picture) small, though could just be the perspective of the photo.

What leg exercises are you actually doing? Do you do calf raises?
  • RodSuarez
    RodSuarez Posts: 6,309 Member
    Options
    In proportion to your quads, they do look (at least in the bottom picture) small, though could just be the perspective of the photo.

What leg exercises are you actually doing? Do you do calf raises?

Calf raises, standing calf rises and some random calves exersice in a machine that looks kind of kinky that is basically rises while bending over the uper half of your body [creating an almost 90 degrees angle]
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    NSFW - Not safe for work. If this is in the title, I can look around to make sure there aren't any co-workers hovering by. :flowerforyou:
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    NSFW - Not safe for work. If this is in the title, I can look around to make sure there aren't any co-workers hovering by. :flowerforyou:
    This.

Not trying to offend, but I didn't notice your calves because your crotch and butt are in my face.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Work you calves more. I found mine respond better to very high reps.
  • andersonbets05
    andersonbets05 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Truthfully, I don't think your calves are that small. I think the photos at the angles you took are deceiving; however, I think if maybe you increased the weights you did and completed much fewer reps (i.e. 25 instead of 50 and complete 4-5 sets) you might see more definition and more of a change. If you had more definition would that make a difference in your opinion of your calves?
  • fhsjewfro
    fhsjewfro Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    use heavier weight, when you do calf raises the trick is to hold it at the top for as long as possible without cramping, slow negative on the way down.

3x5-8 reps should be more than enough if you use the method above
  • Vincentsz
    Vincentsz Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    YES!

Seated Calf raises, standing calf rises and donkey calve raises

# times a week

One day do heavy 12 - 15 reps

One day do lighter and 25-35 reps

One day light to defeat
  • madone7
    madone7 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    The size of your calves is genetic. No amount of exercise will make them bigger!

I cycle 6000 miles a year and have tiny calves...
  • HuwaydaS
    HuwaydaS Posts: 116
    Options
    They look good, not that bad!
  • RodSuarez
    Options
    use heavier weight, when you do calf raises the trick is to hold it at the top for as long as possible without cramping, slow negative on the way down.

3x5-8 reps should be more than enough if you use the method above
    sounds like a great Idea, I'll use this tomorrow, thanks.

@Anderson I actually maxed out the standing calves rises [I can't fit any more disk on the machine, I am using 11 x 45 lbs total]
  • RodSuarez
    Options
    YES!

Seated Calf raises, standing calf rises and donkey calve raises
    so that's the name of the funny looking calf rises, Donkey calf rises
  • Vincentsz
    Vincentsz Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    thats correct!
  • girlygirlnicole
    girlygirlnicole Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    honestly, I think there just fine. if you wanna be perfect I'd try get them a little bigger to match your thighs. You have nice size thighs.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    time for free weights
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Put some damn clothes on. There is no reason i need to see a grown man wearing hand-drawers in order to judge his calves. I open this page and it looks like I'm on the M4M section of craigslist at work.

Not cool bro
  • RodSuarez
    Options
    honestly, I think there just fine. if you wanna be perfect I'd try get them a little bigger to match your thighs. You have nice size thighs.
    thanks hehe
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    How are those images not safe for work?

Where are you working? Kabul?

Just looks like a bloke in swimming trunks to me.
  • madone7
    madone7 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Seriously, check out the genetic thing.... I wouldn't waste you time training them specifically!