Why do I have uterine cramping??

Options
matchbox_girl
matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
Does anyone have experience with uterine/lower abdominal cramping? I hope this isn't inappropriate, but I bled on the 2, 4, and 4th of January, (Really dark blood clots) so I can't imagine it's my period again. I've been on and off the pill and am wondering if the sporadic schedule is messing with my body. I would go see my doc but I just lost my insurance going back to school. Help?

Replies

• jdvacation
    Options
    I've been experiencing the same thing... I thought it might have to do with recent weight loss throwing my body's cycle off. I'm also on birth control and have taken it at the same time each day so there has been no changes there.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    see a doctor
  • BabyCinnamon
    Options
    Have you taken a pregnancy test?
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound good. Why do you keep going on and off the pill?
  • matchbox_girl
    Options
    I've been experiencing the same thing... I thought it might have to do with recent weight loss throwing my body's cycle off. I'm also on birth control and have taken it at the same time each day so there has been no changes there.

I've been terrible taking my birth control, so I thought maybe the odd schedule was doing it. They are very unpleasant and sharp.
  • mdonovan
    Options
    I would say its pregnancy test time. And a doctor. Good luck!
  • matchbox_girl
    Options
    Doesn't sound good. Why do you keep going on and off the pill?

I just don't think about taking it.
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have experience with uterine/lower abdominal cramping? I hope this isn't inappropriate, but I bled on the 2, 4, and 4th of January, (Really dark blood clots) so I can't imagine it's my period again. I've been on and off the pill and am wondering if the sporadic schedule is messing with my body. I would go see my doc but I just lost my insurance going back to school. Help?

You can have cramping and spot even if it's not your period. The reason for it could be so many, the only way to find out is to have your doctor examine you. You can only get guesses on here and that is not going to help you.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    If you haven't been using protection and you haven't been accurately taking your pills it is possible that it isn't just your time of the month but it could be a missed pregnancy. They are very common and often go unoticed as it missed ones end before you would even know you were pregnant. It is possible that the constant change in hormones could cause a spotty cycle as well. I would highly suggest you go see a doctor and make sure your lady bits are all in order.
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    Best bet is to see your doctor. But it is certainly possible that screwing with your hormones by going on and off the pill is causing it. There are other possibilities as well. Even if you don't have insurance anymore you can at least CALL your doctor and ask a question.
  • iamkarent
    iamkarent Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If you think you had a period on the 2nd...it could actually be cramping associated with ovulating...as it is a couple weeks later. Or vice versa...may have been ovulating on the 2nd....and period coming now.

You can get some spotting /cramping with ovulation. Especially if hormones changing a lot(like not taking pill regularly)

If it doesnt pass I would see a doc though and a pregnancy test if that is a possibility before taking any more birth control
  • Peromei
    Peromei Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    First: I'm really sorry that you're experiencing this. I can vouch that reproductive problems are among the scariest and most uncomfortable to have.

Unfortunately, I think that differences between female bodies are so vast that it'll be very difficult for anyone to pinpoint exactly what's wrong. I haven't had irregular spotting since very early on in adolescence. The irregular birth control could definitely be the cause.

However, I wouldn't lose hope about seeking medical help. I lost my health insurance when I turned 21 last year and figured I would be out of luck until I could afford it again (which looked like never-- liberal arts student, here). Then I learned about the Health & Wellness fee, which is a standard part of our fees and tuition, and it covers a decent amount of medical care. See if you can team up with your health center/bursar's office to pay an analogous fee at your school and visit a doctor while you're there. Additionally, I would check to see what they offer as far as birth control is concerned. Our health center has a marvelous partnership with Adagio Health (http://www.adagiohealth.org/), an organization which specializes in women's health, and you might be able to find such a connection through your health center.

If this isn't an option (i.e. they don't offer it at your school), my advice would be to bite the bullet and pay for a doctor's appointment whenever it is humanly possible. I know it's hard-- like I said, I've been there myself and didn't see a medical professional for at least a year-- but you have one body and one lifetime. Losing weight is only one part of keeping your body healthy, and you owe it to yourself to see that you can keep the rest of it up and running, too.

Best of luck, friend. Sending you well wishes from my direction.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    i get the same thing. it could be that you are ovulating if you are currently off the pill. sometimes weightloss can cause hormone changes and also cause spotting. that being said, you should still take a pregnancy test if your last period was over three weeks ago.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    What do you mean on and off the pill? Like you take it whenever kind of thing? Then yes, that could be causing your spotting. Darker, clotted blood (especially spotty kind) usually means the blood is older and oxidized. Unless it is bright or deep red and flowing heavy you don't have to panic. But you should see your doctor. I would spot randomly when I had an cyst on my ovary, and I would have some cramping type pain also. It could be anything, or you could be fine. But better safe than sorry!
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I really would not ask a bunch of strangers on the internet about a (possible) health problem?

If you want to go the internet route there are lots of medical sites on google `ask a doctor` or something like that?

But really I would see a medical person to get some good advice x
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Take a test. Go the doctor and make sure all is ok and find another method of birth control. Going on and off the pill like that is not the best thing for your hormones and uterus. Seriously. You are confusing the heck out of your body.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Take a test. Go the doctor and make sure all is ok and find another method of birth control. Going on and off the pill like that is not the best thing for your hormones and uterus. Seriously. You are confusing the heck out of your body.

Trust me, there are options. Check with Planned Parenthood, they have a ton of payment choices.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    You are young enough to get medical help your school should offer some help.
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    Yes look into a few opportunities for medical care.

* If in college often times there is a campus clinic that is covered as part of your tuition and fees.
    * Often time there is a County Health Clinic that does free well women check ups.
    * Some clinics work on a sliding scale and you pay what you can based on your income.
    * Some family planning clinics offer free pregnancy tests, free or sliding scale well women check up.

Irregular use of your BC pills may be a major culprit. With you dr discuss other options (nuva ring, depo provera etc. ).
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    LOL

I thought the title waas "Camping" and I was all confused for a minute.