Need support... Is all this really worth it?

Options
2»

Replies

• alisonschmalison
    Options
    Your diary is filled with so much sugar and processed foods. You can eat so much more if you fill your meals up with healthier choices, fruits, veggies, salads, whole grains, lean meats. Go through the success stories and find people with open diaries to get some ideas to make healthier choices. You will feel alot better!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    In all honesty, this is an answer you need to give yourself. Sure we can point out that with fitness you will have better health, better adult life, better social life, better... life in general. But you have to ask yourself if the effort is worth it. Your NEED to get fit must be greater than your WANT to stay on couch eating potato chips and twinkies (RIP) all day.

When you decide that YOU'RE worth the effort, we're here for you.

Just gonna leave this link for you and hope you get some reasoning to why I think you're worth it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/831382-maybe-definitely
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It is worth it. It can change your life. Realize you don't have to do everything at once. Start building new habits. As they take, build more. Don't obsess about the scale, focus on changing what you do. Eat less. Move more. Eat better. Lift some heavier things. You're building a new lifestyle - don't look to fad diets or drastic actions - use the process of losing weight to teach yourself how you'll live when you're done.

^^this...absolutely.

for me, it was baby steps...making better decisions here...better decisions there...working out a little here and a little there. Pretty soon I was making 80-90% better decisions as to what was going into my body...my walks 3x weekly turned into runs and HIIT and started walking on the less intense days just to keep moving...so 5 times per week...now recently have incorporated weight training on my non cardio intense days...

It's been a slow process but I'm getting there little by little and feeling better than I have in years. Just baby stepin' to a new lifestyle...the results on the scale and my measurements are just gravy.
  • tenajh
    tenajh Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to friend me. Ask yourself this. Where do I see myself 1 year from now? in 5 yars from now? I have had some major obstacles and understand how difficult it can be to lose one single pound. What matters is where you want to be in your future, only you can make the necessary mental changes needed to change your mental/physical and psychological being. It takes a lot of effort and discipline and support, that is where we come in - to encourage you. I log on daily and highly suggest you do the same. I do not have a lot of wt to lose, but if I stop moving, I don't know how much longer I will be around. I am astounding my docs, so purely from a health stand point, you can have an easier life, if you start now. Look at your goals- are they tooo high? It gets easier when you do SOMETHING physical every single day, get into the habit - then start increasing it, it will become addictive. Eat well, this is the only body you get here on earth, so treat it that way. Would you want less for someone you love? Love, peace and light ~ janet
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 100lbs. Here is my advice(I am a person who becomes easily overwhelmed and gives up). Start. Slow. Yes, it's very tempting to jump right in head first but that never worked for me. When I first started losing weight I started with just diet change. No formal exercise. I had to do one thing at a time and concentrate on just that. When I started losing I added in some exercise.

If you can commit to small changes and make them become habits it can make this whole process much easier. It was daunting to think of making a big diet change plus commiting to 5-6 days a week of working out. I couldn't do it. Call me weak, whatever you want but this worked for me.

I now work out regularly. I don't always log exercise on here. I use mfp for calorie tracking mainly.

This works if you can commit to doing it. Maybe start with making NO diet changes and logging every single thing you eat/drink on here. See what you've been eating. Be honest about it. It'll give you a good starting point. Then start with small changes. See what you can cut out or lower day by day.
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    It is totally worth it. At least it is to me! But only you can decide if it is worth it to you. You have to make that step. You have to do it for yourself. I can't tell you f it's worth it or you. Just try to not look at the big picture yet. Set short term goals. If you weigh 326, set your first goal to get under 300. Then celebrate! But not with food. Do some serious soul searching and if you decide to be healthy, add me. I can offer support and encouragement. Good luck.
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    If you look at "easier" as changing your lifestyle to include smaller portions (which was hard for me), more exercise (another one I had to work at) and changing the WHAT you eat along with the how much....at the start it's hard.

As you get use to doing life differently, it's much easier. Being mindful of your body and your health becomes a "new normal". But that...it takes a long time.

What I've learned is that you have to like what you are eating, but eat a LOT less of it. I use to eat a lot of cheese. Now I eat just one portion (the legit, lipstick-sized piece) when I have it, and only really once per day. I don't need it on EVERYTHING anymore like I use to. I find I buy different cheese now than I did as well. I buy it to savor and enjoy now instead of just being the huge hunk of cheddar because I'll eat it within a month.

Forcing yourself to exercise more is actually the easiest thing. Start with anything. When you watch TV, get up and start doing jumping jacks for a minute at a time. Or 20 body-weight squats. or 5 push-ups. ANYTHING to start getting addicted to wanting it to be easier and feel better. Once the fever to feel good kicks in, you won't want to stop.

Make change slowly, or you run the risk of not doing it at all. Replace your soda with water. Keep a food diary to start. See where you normally are in calories vs. where you need to be. If you are eating too many calories, try to eat a little less and measure/weigh your food to know what portions are supposed to be (this is still a struggle for me). Get an idea of where you are to know where you need to be.

I believe in you. You CAN do it. It takes what feels like forever, and you'll be discouraged at times, but that's what we're here for. We're doing this "new normal" thing together.

Best of luck!!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    In all honesty, this is an answer you need to give yourself. Sure we can point out that with fitness you will have better health, better adult life, better social life, better... life in general. But you have to ask yourself if the effort is worth it. Your NEED to get fit must be greater than your WANT to stay on couch eating potato chips and twinkies (RIP) all day.

When you decide that YOU'RE worth the effort, we're here for you.

Just gonna leave this link for you and hope you get some reasoning to why I think you're worth it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/831382-maybe-definitely

^^^^YES.

And yes, it is worth it. YOU are worth it. You have my support if you'd like it.
  • faitheven
    Options
    With needing to loose 100 pounds myself I always remember my Dad telling me this one thing...he said you didnt put the weight on overnight and it wont come off overnight. SLOW AND STEADY is the way to go..any little change you make will make it easier to loose the weight. I started using my fitness pal on January 2nd and so far I am down 8 lbs. One change I made is when I come home from work I dont sit on the couch...I walk on my tredmill for at least 1/2 hr...I am also making healthier choices when eating..so far this is working for me....slow and steady
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    It is completely overwhelming, but only you can decide if it's worth it or not. I think it is and I think you are worth the effort, but that's just me. The important thing to remember is that it doesn't come off over night. It took me a year and a half to lose my weight because I had a lot of set backs and times when I got frustrated and just stopped doing what I was doing even though I was half way to my goal. But suddenly I found myself within ten pounds of my goal and it felt as if it had all happened over night. It's hard work, but if you can be patient and forgiving of yourself and focus on small goals, you can make it happen for yourself.

I can't speak to your medical issues since you really need a professional to deal with that and I hope that you are able to get insurance soon to have those things addressed because they could be contributing factors as well.

Good luck!
  • LoriIone
    LoriIone Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You can do it! It does seem to get easier as you do it longer, it becomes a habit. You start thinking twice about things you are eating, and the other day, the weirdest thing happened to me! I was CRAVING a work out! I hate to work out, and my body was wanting it! Don't give up!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Youre in the right place. We are all here to support you. You CAN do it and it IS worth it. The success that the end result will bring will taste better than any food hun. Trust me. Just keep your eye on the prize!
  • vhallrob
    vhallrob Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Nah you're right its totally not worth it!

I mean sure you will live longer, have less health complications including being at lower risk for diabetes, heart conditions, and a number of other degenerative diseases, be able to buy nice clothes and like the way they look on you, have increased self confidence, be able to move more freely, be happier and have more energy, get increased respect from the general community (I know that sounds judgmental but there is objective evidence to show this happens).

But on the other hand, making a change to your life will require a little bit of effort. You will have to say no to the occasional slice of pie and make a conscious effort to get up and move on a daily basis...

Actually, when you put it like that, it does seem worth it doesn't it!

Well said. You are totally worth the effort. I am totally worth the effort. Nothing worth having is easy - but the rewards of joy, happiness, self confidence and inner peace are worth doing something good for yourself. Baby steps. You can do this.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Are you on synthroid for your hypothyroid? My mom has hypothyroidism and without her meds, she gets extremely tired... gets little muscle spasms... weight gain... forgetfulness or even stomach cramps. Getting the ride medicine to help regulate your thyroid will make you feel better!

Working out & eating right is a challenge for everyone, health complications or not. It is worth it, because you feel better and more confident if you appreciate your body. And it's pretty exciting to see the pounds come off, muscles appear & exercises you could barely do eventually become easy! I've been told that being heavy is very hard on the feet, legs, back, etc. Losing weight can help alleviate any soreness or discomfort you may get from standing long periods of time. And losing weight usually decreases your chances of getting high blood sugar, type 2 diabetes, etc.
  • Rosytakesoff
    Options
    Yes, it is worth it. You are worth it. Repeat daily until you believe it.

Do one right thing. Then it is easier to do another right thing. One healthful choice leads to another, and then you are on your way. Do not let one poor choice derail you. If you make a poor choice, get up, dust off your bum, and carry on. Do not let all-or-nothing thinking say that since you had a slip you might as well eat ice cream from the carton for every dinner hereafter.

What would you say to a friend who asked if he or she was worth it? Now say that to yourself.
  • slimfitnessmoms
    slimfitnessmoms Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    HI. It is totally worth it.just like everyone is saying. I have hypothyroidism also. I have to take 100 mcg synthroid everyday for it. and getting the right dose is key just like the other poster said!!
    It was tough when I didn't even know I had it!! I finally found my right dosage and started eating healthy and really exercising 6 days a week! Feel free to add me :)
  • Vettech2014
    Options
    Thank you all so so much you're words of encouragement has meant a lot. I think I'm going to write around my home little notes of it is worth it! You can do it! Things like that. and hang up pictures of outfits and dresses that I'd love to have. Maybe even on my iPad background and phone background. I need to see it everywhere. Thank you all again so so much!
  • Starrpower007
    Starrpower007 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a Prolactinoma too, and I have to take medicine for it. It will take more time to lose the weight because of the hormone changes, and your body hoarding your fat simply because of the nature of the tumor. You can do it, though! Concentrate on eating habits and building muscle, because the more calories you burn at rest the better off you will be with this type of adenoma. Best of luck! :smile:
  • tracyloseehill
    Options
    I to have hypothyroidism. I know what a struggle it is. But it is worth it. I don't know what state you live in but once due to no insurance I was able to go to a free clinic and they did all my blood testing for free. I still had to pay for the meds. I think the most I ever paid was around $40. Just depends on what they put you on. I now donate to the clinic. Before the meds I was getting to the point I was so tired I sleep like 16 hours a day. In one month I put on a total of 24 pounds and that was with me dieting. I've been on meds for about six months now and am just starting to feel better. I think if you can some how get checked you would feel a ton better. Good luck to you.