Best Advice Ever

Options
MochaMixAZ
MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
What's the best advice you've ever received (health-related or otherwise)... or what's an old adage that you've found has proven to be true and relevant?

Best advice I've ever received: My mom told me to shoot for 80/20 in all things. When looking for friends and thinking about their personality traits, 80% are things I adore and 20% are things I'd prefer to overlook. If someone falls into that ratio, it's a good bet we'll be friends. In healthy eating and lifestyle choices, if I can do things "right" 80% of the time - I'll be successful. In job satisfaction, if I enjoy 80% of my projects.... I'm in a good place. So I felt especially lucky when I met my future-husband and he was more of a 95-5!!! WOO HOO!

And two adages that I've found to be VERY valid:
- "Don't sweat the small stuff"
- "Fish and visitors smell in 3 days."

Replies

• btwalsh132
    btwalsh132 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    "If you want something done you have to do it yourself"

'nuff said.
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    "wipe front to back"
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    When I said to my mom that I felt I was too old to go back to college, she said,

"Well, you can be thirty with a new degree, or you can be thirty without one. You're going to be a thirty-year-old one day anyway, you might as well be an educated one."

I enrolled in classes that next semester.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Don't date bartenders or preacher's sons.
  • Dyann_Alvarez
    Dyann_Alvarez Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My mom told me that real love isn't the "warm and fuzzy" feeling you feel. It's a decision that you stand by even when you don't feel "warm and fuzzy".
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    words to live by...

"Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line!"

vizzini.jpg
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    let your woman believe she is always right- even when she is not
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Letter that my instructor gave me long ago before he passed away. Selectively writing since many of the references you will likely not get.

(1) World is but for a few days. Many roadblocks in its way but you still have to fulfill your responsibilities
    (2) If somebody isn't up to standard (meaning a friend who bothers you), still instead of hatred use love and pray
    (3) Stop worrying so much about world and reduce how much you think "why this happened" or "why that happened". This is deflection
    (4) This World never walked a straight path, nor will it ever. This is why, focus on your own actions
    (5) Try to forget the past, worry about present, and leave Tomorrow to God.

For fitness, just be patient and review your bad days with focus on learning from it rather than cursing yourself
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Oh, and another one from my Aunt, "What you think of me is none of my business."
  • scrabblefiend
    Options
    Don't worry about being THE best. Just be YOUR best.

Also, when our teacher was giving us the whole "don't do drugs" talk when I was 16, she never actually said, "don't do drugs". She just asked us to consider what we put in our bodies and why, and about trusting who or where the drugs come from.

Jackson Brown:
    Don't say you don't have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo Da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson and Albert Einstein.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Live long and prosper.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    wrap it before you tap it
  • lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Treat others like you would like to be treated
    WIll it matter later?
    Pleanty of fish in the sea.
    Learn something new each day.
    Never pass up a chance to say I love you.
    Life is short, enjoy it and others while you can.
    It's never too late to say you are sorry but It's better to eat crow while it's warm
  • fleur_de_lis19
    Options
    wrap it before you tap it

this too
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Live is too short to be unhappy. Cliched but true.

Have an open mind.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."— Dr. Seuss
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    The Lord loves a working man, don't trust whitey, see a doctor and get rid of it.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    No ATM.
  • fleur_de_lis19
    Options
    No ATM.

what if your really drunk?
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options