I am hoping this is the first day of a healthier me

Options
Hi, I am almost 47, and in need of becoming healthier. I have always been over-weight. Tried diet after diet, lost weight-gained weight, and it seems each time a gain, it is what I've lost PLUS more. I am a single mom of an 11 year old daughter, and I what to not only get healthy for me, but as a role model for her. My knees and hips are full of arthritis, and I was told last year that by the time I was 50, I would need a new knee.....PRETTY SCARY!! I do not have a support system at home. I live with my elderly parents, and even though they are diabetic, have high cholesterol or blood pressure, and my mom has heart disease. They both are over-weight too, but they buy and eat all the wrong things. I try to buy healthy for all of us, but they still bring in the bad. Of course, I have absolutely zero will power. If it is in the house, I eat it. Due to the condition of my knees and hip it is very difficult to exercise. Last year I bought a tread mill, and blew my knee, and had a brace for 5 months. I then bought a stationery bike, and was doing very well. My doc prescribed me a diet pill and I lost about 30 pounds, and blew the same knee again! Another 2 months in a brace.
I am open to all suggestions and helpful hints.
Thanks and God Bless You All!
Teresa

Replies

• Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Is your little girl also overweight?
  • jnlynn
    jnlynn Posts: 101
    Options
    welcome. I am sure you will find MFP a wonderful place to help you on your journey.
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    welcome to MFP :flowerforyou:
  • regirip10
    Options
    Hi I am 53 and have a torn meniscus in my knee. You can still run, bike and exercise. Just do it with someone who can show you how to exercise and use equipment properly. I have a trainer and she has helped me strengthen all the supporting muscles in the leg and knee. You can stop eating unhealthy food, even if its in the house! You have to look at it like its the enemy! Do buy healthy alternatives like fresh fruit and veggies. You will be amazed at how good they are once you've gotten over the junk food addiction. It has been six months since I drank any soda and I am amazed i dont even crave it! You will also drop 10 pounds just from that! Today is the first day of the rest of your life. Choose to be healthy. Stay strong!!!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Welcome! MFP is a good start to your new life.
  • teresamcclarykramer
    Options
    No, she is not. Thank goodness!
  • teresamcclarykramer
    Options
    Thank you. I love healthy food, but I also love the junk. I have already found me a trainer/mentor and a good friend recommended me here. I am super excited to get started.
  • Mezzta
    Mezzta Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hello there, Mary from down-under. Just new here myself. Feel free to add me as a friend.
    Cheers
    Mary
  • 1KiwiChick
    1KiwiChick Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Welcome,good on you for taking this first big step. I have been on MFP for 18mths and it along with , sensible eating and exercise have changed my life. Feel free to add me and good luck on your journey!
  • Theresa7248
    Options
    Hoping that 2013 brings a new you! YOU CAN DO IT!!
  • Phoenixchichima
    Options
    if you really want it to be the first day of a healthyer you, it will be.
    every day make better decisiosn. some days not so great, but just work towards it. log EVERYTHING. it sucks but its educational & you do start asking yourself if you really want that item. feel free to add me if you like
  • mrsjas2000
    mrsjas2000 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    anyone can add me the more support the better we are all changing our lives
  • sassytoadegree
    Options
    Sounds like your gonna have a hard road ahead, I know when i started to eat healthier i made my hubby and my kids eat up all the junk food in the house( there not overweight) so i didnt have to look at it. I still buy some junk food for them but tell them dont let me see it. As far as exercise have you tried water areobics? with your knee and arthritis problems im thinking that might be the best way to kick start your exercise program and after youve lost some weight try somthing outside of the water, You may be over doing the exercising which is why you keep blowing out your knee. Instead of going on the treadmill try just a very casual walk around the block, I know when i start dieting i always start very slow and work my way up or it gets so hard and I eventually just give up. Stationary bikes are a great way to burn calories so if it wont bother your knee too much try that more just make sure you dont overdo it. just work your way up, Very good luck to you and if you would like you can add me as your freind and we can try and motivate each other.
  • KathyPBiles
    KathyPBiles Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Today is most definitely the first day of your healthier life style because you made the decision to do it. I haven't been a member here but a couple of weeks, but the support that I have found here is fabulous. Remember, we are all where you are right now (which I am) or have been there. There is no judging here, only support. If you would like, please add me as a friend. We can take this journey together!
  • teresamcclarykramer
    Options
    Swimming is my next task, after I try to just walk little bits at a time to try and strengthen my knee. A supporter suggested I ride my recumbent bike 5-10-15-20-25, etc... minutes a day to try to strengthen it as well. It is going to be a very rough road, but I am not getting any younger, and that will only make getting healthy that much harder.
    Thanks for the advice,
    Teresa