If am sore from working out should I rest the next day

Options
Sometimes I workout so hard am so sore the next day but I just take a aleve and go even harder the next day is that good or bad.

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Split the difference and do mild cardio and lots of stretching the next day.
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    I mean, resting is really important. But as long as it's actual soreness and not an injury... I don't see a problem.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Don't think thats good. Your muscles need time to recover. In the gym - less is more when it comes to building muscle. A number of studies show that your muscles only need 60-80 seconds of muscle workout in order to build muscle. If you're doing cardio and being sore, maybe try adding a few extra rest days & focus on what you eat right after you workout. 3:1 ratio carb to protein.

The "no pain no gain" is BS. You can't take advice from ppl on steroids b/c it won't work for us. Rest more.
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Thanks for information, great idea
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Yoga, jogging, walking is fine.

Especially yoga.
  • Vercell
    Options
    Thanks great information.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Split the difference and do mild cardio and lots of stretching the next day.

I like this idea. I just started a new Pilates workout today that KICKED MY *kitten*. I hurt like a *****. I wasn't sure about doing it the next day but didn't want to not do anything.....I can go back to the previous (now easier) workout on alternate days until I get stronger.

Thank you!
  • jjrichard83
    Options
    I mean, resting is really important. But as long as it's actual soreness and not an injury... I don't see a problem.

the problem is muscles are torn which is why they are sore (lactic acid build up), then the next day they are torn again without being fully healed, and repeat...

diet is more important than exercise when it comes to losing weight. The best advice is let up on the workouts cut your workout days by 50% or set up routines where you are working different parts so your other muscles have time to rest- and take into account secondary muscles. However if time is an issue - stick with full body exercises which produce just as good or better results.
  • dub73
    dub73 Posts: 70
    Options
    Do a great stretch before and after each workout.
  • Moviegal77
    Moviegal77 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Try alternating from lower half muscles on 1 visit then upper half the next. This way you give your legs a rest while you work the chest and arms.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I just do a different body part the next day so everything gets sore equally :)
  • jjrichard83
    Options
    you often hear of hardcore weight lifters taking 2 weeks off, then coming back to the gym stronger than ever b/c they are fully healed.
  • marjoleina
    marjoleina Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I do Pilates or Yoga and ride the excercise bike on the days I am recovering from lifting. It seems to work ok.
  • Vercell
    Options

the problem is muscles are torn which is why they are sore (lactic acid build up), then the next day they are torn again without being fully healed, and repeat...

diet is more important than exercise when it comes to losing weight. The best advice is let up on the workouts cut your workout days by 50% or set up routines where you are working different parts so your other muscles have time to rest- and take into account secondary muscles. However if time is an issue - stick with full body exercises which produce just as good or better results.
  • Vercell
    Options
    that makes alot of sense thanks. Sometimes I think if I miss more than a day I will slack off and go back to bad habits. I will try it.
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I worked out my legs for the first time in a while and was EXTREMELY sore the next day. I thought if I got on the elliptical and did a lot of stretching it would help to work the soreness out. Unfortunately my pain was exponentially worse and I think next time I'll take a rest instead of chancing anything like that again! I thought I was going to have to call into work because I could barely walk!!!!
  • Vercell
    Options
    Thanks everyone so much for there reponses, all very helpful.
  • Vercell
    Options
    I worked out my legs for the first time in a while and was EXTREMELY sore the next day. I thought if I got on the elliptical and did a lot of stretching it would help to work the soreness out. Unfortunately my pain was exponentially worse and I think next time I'll take a rest instead of chancing anything like that again! I thought I was going to have to call into work because I could barely walk!!!!
  • Vercell
    Options
    that is the same thing that happen to me i could not bend or hardly sit
  • jjrichard83
    Options
    I'm sending A PM of nutrition timing as well :)