How accurate are Cardio calorie figures on thie site...

Options
Can we trust the calorie count that this website gives when you put in Cardio excercises?

I did 45 minutes on the Elliptical trainer and it credits me with 586 calories.

I did a difficult program, pretty tough, but the machine says I only burned 1424 KiloJoules (when I converted this using http://www.unitconversion.org it said it's around 340 calories)

So is this website telling us we are doing better than we actually are? There is a big difference between 580 cals and 340 cals.

Replies

• kristanb05
    Options
    I use the results from my treadmill... I type in my weight and it has a HRM. I've found that it's more accurate than the website.
  • jamerz1482
    jamerz1482 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    In all the fitness mags that I have read over the years they say that the calories burned on the machines is jacked up a bit. So I would lean towards the lower calories burned just to be safe. If you Google calories burned there are websites out there where you can put in the exercise, the time and your info and it will give you a better idea of what you actually burned during your exercise.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    From what I have read and experiences, the database on this site for calories burned is not accurate. Think about it this way: two people can be on an elliptical for 30 minutes but have very different calorie burns because of varying factors (like effort, their own fitness level, weight...)

HRMs on treadmills and other machines can also be off. The most accurate way to determine your calories burned is to get a personal HRM with a chest strap.