just joined -- could use some support!

Options
I just joined this week. I've lost 60 pounds since May, and I need to lose about 180 more. On Monday this week, my doctor told me that I wasn't eating enough, and that's why I'm having some health problems in addition to what I was having before I lost the 60 pounds.

I was eating 1000 to 1200 per day -- that's what helped me lose the 60 pounds. I've had two surgeries this year after falling onto the dog crate in the den -- shoulder/rotator cuff which took me from May to Oct in Physical Therapy and knee replacement which I had in November.

When I put the "lose one pound per week" into the calculator, I was astonished to see that I was supposed to eat more than twice what I've been eating for the last 8 1/2 months. Since I'm still recovering from surgeries, I upped the calculation to "lose 2 pounds per week" because I'm worried that I'm just not moving enough because I'm walking slowly with a cane. Even with that, I'm supposed to add 700 to 900 calories a day.

I'm soooooooo worried that adding those calories will set me down a path of eating more and more. Having some support sounds like a fabulous idea!

Replies

• abra526
    abra526 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. This site really does work when you follow it. The thought that eating too little is what's causing the weight to stay on sounds crazy, but it's true. Your body needs to know that it's getting the fuel it needs, and when that fuel comes from healthy food, it thrives! Feel free to send me a friend request. I'm always looking for more motivation, and happy to pass it out too! I want to lose 70 pounds and when I joined last year, I lost 30. I was unemployed, had time to work out, and had time to watch what I was eating. Then I started a new job with crazy hours, I put 11 back on. I'm back on MFP now, and ready to get serious!:flowerforyou:
  • alligatorsmith
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! Yes, I'm reshaping my brain this week about the number of calories, so I can reshape my body :)
  • 30Purple
    30Purple Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I would agree with your doctor, you weren't eating enough. If you'd like some help or to look at my diary, it's open and I log daily and I'm here for support. :)
  • feliciajonesmejia
    Options
    First of all congratulations on your sixty pound weight loss! I know it must seem daunting to have much more to lose. ...but its doable. I have a great friend who has lost 100 and has about 80 to go. ..she says that at one point she was definately eating too little food and plateaued. I know it seems crazy, our natural instint is less is better in order to lose weight but thats where our body fools us! Im sure its that much harder to lose it having physical limitations to excercise as well. You have to rely on your diet that much more! I myself have about 100 pounds to lose. Just started seriously this last monday. .. I have started making small steps but am now definately determined to move this weight! Please keep in touch we can motivate and help each other!! :smooched:
  • veggiesandkate
    veggiesandkate Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Congrats on losing the weight! I know how you feel, it's hard to tell yourself to eat more because I know when I eat more I eat way too much. Its a hard balance.
    Feel free to add me for support. :)
  • alligatorsmith
    Options
    It sounds great to have others to talk to about losing weight! It's been an up and down journey for me for years, and I'm committed to getting to my goal.
  • 1KiwiChick
    1KiwiChick Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    welcome, your doc is right! i started on here in august 2011 and was 281 pounds.MFP recommended about 1640 cals per day. I steadily lost weight and learnt to ulter my diet according to my exercise etc. I have now lost 97 pounds and am down to 184 pound with a MFP recommended cal intake of 1250 which is just right (though with the amount of exercise i do i get a bit hungry sometimes!) anyway feel free to add me ,good luck
  • alligatorsmith
    Options
    Wow, Suzic73! That's an incredible weight loss -- congratulations! I'm hoping that being in a community of "losers" will help me be more positive in my daily new life of getting more healthy!