How accurate is the MFP calories burned from exercise?

Options
Hi there, MFP has been saying I've been burning around 800 calories a day doing exercise, which then gives me 800 extra food calories. I never eat my exercise calories because I am worried that MFP is generous with the calories burned from exercise. Does anyone know how accurate it is?

I am going to buy a HRM, but in the meantime, I'd like to use MFP's counter.

Thanks!

Replies

• mzmoonlight
    mzmoonlight Posts: 160
    Options
    I've checked it against my HRM and its usually within 20 or so calories of the amount I have actually burned so i think its pretty accurate.
  • lyndsloo
    lyndsloo Posts: 242
    Options
    Oh wow...
  • jdcole67
    jdcole67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've compared the MFP calculator with other online calculators and they seem to be pretty accurate compared to those...my fear is that the MFP calculators don't seem to be updating as you lose weight and you should burn fewer calories as your weight drops...
  • elegantshay
    elegantshay Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    after a certain amount of pounds it ask you to update and then its back on track but you can go in and update it yourself under your goals and it will be more accurate!!
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I find that my heart rate monitor consistently says I burn more than MFP says. Same for my fiance.
  • saintdee
    saintdee Posts: 8
    Options
    It's been pretty accurate with me too. My worry is I do weights as well, but don't see where it is figured in to the exercise. Am I missing something on this? Thanks.
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I've compared the MFP calculator with other online calculators and they seem to be pretty accurate compared to those...my fear is that the MFP calculators don't seem to be updating as you lose weight and you should burn fewer calories as your weight drops...

you are correct sir. :)

it use to be right on for me, really close to what my HRM says. But the lower I get, the less accurate it is. I always go by my HRM, but sometimes I see what people are logging from MFP, and I can only hope that they are not eating all those back, just in case it is too high .
  • jurgitafit
    jurgitafit Posts: 112
    Options
    It's been pretty accurate with me too. My worry is I do weights as well, but don't see where it is figured in to the exercise. Am I missing something on this? Thanks.

Good question because I was looking for that too in the beginning, until I figured it out. :smile: Type in "strength training" in CARDIOVASCULAR section when you add the exercise. Vuola! :wink: Maybe not a very logical placement, but I guess it partially counts as cardiovascular activity if you train hard (I mean, not with 3lb dumbells).
  • DJH510
    DJH510 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    predicting calories burnt is a tricky business, and MFP uses the same logic as any other sort of calculator to work it out, so no reason why you shouldn't trust it!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I've checked it against my HRM and its usually within 20 or so calories of the amount I have actually burned so i think its pretty accurate.

ditto. I also checked with another MFP member-a guy, to see what his said. We both punched in 20 min on the ellip and his was double mine.............so it is individual.

have a good day
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I've noticed my HRM and MFP's estimations are also pretty close. Usually within 25 calories one way or the other. So for now, you should be safe going with MFP's estimates. But it is wise that you're purchasing a HRM!
  • summersmi
    summersmi Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Me and my wife are both on here. We are different ages, different weights and of course male and female. The MFP calories for the exact same workout are completely different. Consequently I have to work out more to burn the same calories as her. The counts are fairly accurate (one of my bosses is also a certified trainer and I checked the numbers with him) and relatively personalized.
  • meteor5
    meteor5 Posts: 6
    Options
    Holy crap!!! Seriously???? I haven't really been worrying so much about how much I'm burning as much as just making myself do SOMETHING every day. I just use the fitness center at my apartment complex because, hey, I'm paying for it anyway, and it couldn't be any more convenient. They have some treadmills and an elliptical. The machines track my heart rate as I exercise, so I figured that impacted what it says I'm burning. But the machine always says SIGNIFICANTLY less calories burned than MFP enters automatically. I correct it because I'd rather not delude myself into thinking I've burned more than I might have actually. But if yall are confident that MFP is more accurate than I'm thinking, I'm excited at the possibility of burning more than I thought!
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    well I did 55 mins on the stairmaster yesterday and 45 today. MFP had it much higher than what my HRM said. MFP said 623 calories for 55 mins, my HRM said it was only 452. The machine at the gym had it in between . That is a HUGE difference if you are eating all the calories back. just saying.
  • lyndsloo
    lyndsloo Posts: 242
    Options
    I agree, Tami! I am buying an HRM tomorrow....MFP counter HAS to be high. It will be interesting to finally see what the real facts are!!!!