Does toned mean bigger?

Options
13»

Replies

• dawnreid2012
    dawnreid2012 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I just text my husband at work and asked him he would get me a weight set for my birthday coming up lol.. Until then Ill use his..
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    nope. check out my profile pic. I got my 2nd body by lifting heavy.. HEAVY. I even stopped with cardio because I decided- running almost every day wasn't working anymore, I might as well lift heavy and prove that it doesn't work. I figured I'd give myself 12 weeks to exclusively lift, and if anything - at least I'd be a stronger chubby person.

Nope. I got smaller. Tighter.

Toned doesn't mean bigger at all! I used to be cardio queen, now I am an iron queen. I LOVE my weights. I admit I used to lift before but never exclusively. And Always made cardio my primary exercise.

Now weights are front and center...and not the pink dumbell kind.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy and has been for more than a year

Before
    6030453129_1e7ae5172d_n.jpg
    IMG_2720 by yanicka.hachez, on Flickr

After
    8040150711_a85839e461_n.jpg
    IMG_20120929_095330 by yanicka.hachez, on Flickr

Not bad for a girl that gave birth to 6 kids

Believe me, 3 pounders won't do anything
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I just text my husband at work and asked him he would get me a weight set for my birthday coming up lol.. Until then Ill use his..

YAY!!!!!

We did it. Another one converted :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    When I started working out with weights with a personal trainer( a bad pt by the way) I gained a ton of weight.

I thought it was the weights. It wasn't. What it was ..was actually all the protein shakes my trainer told me I had to have.(one in the morning and one right before and after working out. Way too many for my short self.) And I blamed the weight lifting instead of the protein shakes.

Fast forward to last year...I started lifting religiously and really pushing myself...sans any protein shakes..

Turns out I shed my weight and I realized it was the darn eating that "bulked me up" not the weights.

This is a really good poster that explains alot!

http://joshsgarage.typepad.com/articles/2011/11/the-bulking-up-myth-ultimate-infographic.html
  • dawnreid2012
    Options

YAY!!!!!

We did it. Another one converted :drinker: :bigsmile:

I LOVE THIS hahahahahahahah :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting actually made my body appear to be smaller. Before I gained weight, I was pretty steady at 180 lbs. Now I'm down to 188.9, I started here at 220. When I was at 180, I never lifted weights and my only exercise was walking, so I looked bigger than I do now, even though I was 8.9 lbs lighter. I'll post pictures for you!

1889sidecomparison_zps25283763.jpg

Obviously I'm not at my goal weight yet, but this is pretty sweet progress!

ETA: excuse the bathroom pictures, I no longer have a full length mirror to take the picture in. :laugh:
  • dawnreid2012
    Options
    When I started working out with weights with a personal trainer( a bad pt by the way) I gained a ton of weight.

I thought it was the weights. It wasn't. What it was ..was actually all the protein shakes my trainer told me I had to have.(one in the morning and one right before and after working out. Way too many for my short self.) And I blamed the weight lifting instead of the protein shakes.

Fast forward to last year...I started lifting religiously and really pushing myself...sans any protein shakes..

Turns out I shed my weight and I realized it was the darn eating that "bulked me up" not the weights.

This is a really good poster that explains alot!

http://joshsgarage.typepad.com/articles/2011/11/the-bulking-up-myth-ultimate-infographic.html

You look fantastic too!!!
  • dawnreid2012
    Options
    Heavy lifting actually made my body appear to be smaller. Before I gained weight, I was pretty steady at 180 lbs. Now I'm down to 188.9, I started here at 220. When I was at 180, I never lifted weights and my only exercise was walking, so I looked bigger than I do now, even though I was 8.9 lbs lighter. I'll post pictures for you!

1889sidecomparison_zps25283763.jpg

Obviously I'm not at my goal weight yet, but this is pretty sweet progress!

ETA: excuse the bathroom pictures, I no longer have a full length mirror to take the picture in. :laugh:

You can totally tell a difference!! I am so inspired from everyones advice and pictures..
  • Vini9
    Vini9 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Bump, so many good links I only got to read two........so for later. :)