How long before you started to notice the changes?

Options
I always hear people talk about how much better they feel when the start exercising regularly and eating right. As much as I need to lose weight, this is the biggest motivator for me to make these changes. When did you start to notice a change in how you feel? I've made some big changes to how I eat and I've been really good about getting on the treadmill every day - I'm excited for the change (and hope it will be coming soon!). THANKS!

Replies

• sherrycf
    Options
    you should notice feeling better rather quickly, hang in there :) Your daughter ? is beautiful, I have a 5 yr old daughter adopted from China, she reminds me of my little princess :)
  • wmphimu
    wmphimu Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    you should notice feeling better rather quickly, hang in there :) Your daughter ? is beautiful, I have a 5 yr old daughter adopted from China, she reminds me of my little princess :)

Thanks! She's 3 1/2 - adopted from China in 2010. She's from Yunan - where is your daughter from?

As I ate my healthy dinner tonight and realized how different it was then what I ate a few weeks ago, I was thinking about how I should be feeling better soon. Hopefully. :)
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    take measurements. recording your weight may not tell the whole story if you've added muscle and lost fat. Measure your body and track it every 2-4 weeks to see if those results are better than what you see on the scale.

Also you see yourself every day, so it wont be as noticeable to you as it will be to people who don't see you too often
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I've been going at this semi-major-seriously for 7 weeks. My wife has noticed a HUGE interest in my energy level and general mood since I started. No idea if this is standard or not...I assume everyone is different? Did you take pictures for your "before and after" comparison? I think it's tough to recognize changes because we look at ourselves in the mirror dozens of times/day. Kinda like a puppy or dog....I mean, sure you notice how big he's getting but it's kind of gradual....and then you look at pictures of when you first got him and are like "holy crap! remember how tiny you used to be?"

Keep it up. Hard work and discipline will pay off.
  • wmphimu
    Options
    Yeah, as much as I am excited for my clothes to fit better, I'm really looking forward to just FEELING better - I am always so sluggish, and I'm sure that my lifestyle is mostly to blame. (the 3 year old calling out "mommy! mommy!" instead of sleeping shoulders a little blame as well!)
  • DropOfSweat
    Options
    I have this problem too. The scale doesn't help much but I can't help myself. I have to check. I should just stash it for a while.

Anyway, I've been working at this weight loss since August of 2012. So far I've lost only 10lbs. I'm quite disappointed. My youngest is about to be one and I'm 5lbs away from that pre-pregnancy weight.
  • zbatx
    zbatx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have only been following this program for a week....been exercising and eating right since August. Since joining this group, I have already noticed a difference in my food choices. This keeps me accountable. I exercise alot but now I really want to so that I can record it and earn extra calories. The support is helpful too!
    :flowerforyou:
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    You will notice different things at different stages. I liked it when I realised it didn't need as much food at meal times. The cloths start to fit better. It takes a while for others to notice, sometimes up to 30 ish pounds. Measure things like how far you can run on the treadmill, that changes fast. Celebrate all the changes, they motivate you. Good job.
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Be sure you are getting somewhere close to 3 ltrs of water a day. Our brains and muscles need lots of water. And 7 to 8 hrs of sleep a day
  • dchannell
    Options
    I noticed almost immediately. In fact by about the fourth day of eliminating all sugar and artificial sweeteners, diet sodas and processed foods, I have been telling everyone around me how I feel like I'm on an anti depressant or something. My entire family has noticed the change as well. I started using a treadmill or walking by about the third day and now at day 13 I have more energy than I can remember. This program is simply amazing. I have already created a short list of recipes and it's a fun challenge to create meal menus each day. The most amazing thing to me is that I haven't really been as obsessive about the actual weight loss aspect of it. I keep telling myself what a wonderful lifestyle choice this is and just how great I feel. I had gastric bypass surgery in Dec. 2004 and eventually went from 290 lb. down to 185. Unfortunately like most other bypass patients I began gaining it back about three years later because I didn't change my relationship with food. I have managed to only gain back about 43 lb. of it and since I started MFP I've already lost 5 lb. in two weeks. Even better, my blood pressure is amazingly dropping to a normal range because I can track the amount of sodium intake for each meal and snack. I heard about this program through Consumer Reports rating it best even more than many of the costly programs. I totally agree!
  • sunshineairvin
    Options
    You will notice right away unless your like me! I still have a hard time believing Ive already lost 50 lbs! I had to by smaller clothes so I know I have but Im very hard on myself. I probably work out 6 days a week I feel great. The days I dont I really know I didnt. Ive been doing it faithfully now since May. Totally a different person now all around! You will see soon enough ;-)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I second the suggestion to take measurements. For the first 6 weeks I didn't lose a single lb but I lost a clothing size (maybe 2!) and 4-6" from my waist (I don't remember offhand, but it was noticeable). At 13 lbs, people were asking how much I lost and telling me it looked like 30. It will be different for everyone.
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    Probably my 2nd week in. More energy. more alert.

Up until the 1st jan this year, i was coming home at around 4pm, and falling asleep by 6:30pm.

I was so lethargic.

3 weeks in, im out walking the dog until 10pm at night, going to bed at 11pm, and heading out the door at 5:30am for work.

I really began thinking my slackness was due to age. Im 36. Realistically though, i now realise it was big Cooperation slowly killing me.

So glad i made the plunge to change my lifestyle.
  • sherrycf
    Options
    My daughter is from Guangdong province, Yangdong SWI. we got her in 2008, she was 10 1/2 months. How long was your wait? We waited 27 months from LID. So worth it though, she rules the house :)
  • wmphimu
    Options
    We waited exactly 4 years - our gotcha day was 4 years to the day after we sent our dossier to China. Yup, 4 years. TOTALLY worth it, but we definitely got caught up in the slowdown - we were quoted 7-9 months, even after things started to slow. HA! (our LID was April 5, 2006)
  • sara1077
    sara1077 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I started Jan 2, 2013 (at least, that is when I got SERIOUS!!).

I've only lost about 3lbs (my ticker does not show it because I started higher than my official start weight because of the holidays), but I can totally see/feel a difference. My face looks slimmer and my clothes feel a bit loser.

Good luck!!
  • Makeda1211
    Makeda1211 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Yeah, as much as I am excited for my clothes to fit better, I'm really looking forward to just FEELING better - I am always so sluggish, and I'm sure that my lifestyle is mostly to blame. (the 3 year old calling out "mommy! mommy!" instead of sleeping shoulders a little blame as well!)

You'll really start to see the difference in when you are playing with your daughter and you don't get winded or tired as quickly. Sometimes the changes are suddle, but they will add up to a huge change and before you know it, you will see that your clothing doesn't fit the same and you can walk farther and for longer periods of time.

I noticed a difference in my wind first. People around you will notice the glow and that's where it starts. Keep up the good work !
  • dizy17
    dizy17 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    i stopped drinking pop in october and felt so much more energized in the first 2 weeks. havent gone back to it since ... i started working out and really eating better on december 1, 2012 and 2 weeks in the gym none stop did it for me. i got addicted and havent stopped since. i have lost 26lbs since mid november. felt great after loosing 15lbs and as the number grows i feel better and better.