Quinoa Recipes

Options

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Bump. With a promise to post a recipe for Mexican Quinoa very soon.
  • tutti777
    Options
    BUMP
  • tutti777
    Options
    BUMP
  • caddis1
    caddis1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I cook it in low sodium low fat chicken stock. I saute some onions, garlic, red peppers and after the quinoa is cooked I'll add in about a 1/4 cup of the veggie mix to a cup of cooked quinoa.
  • tutti777
    Options
    BUMP
  • ChrissieNer
    ChrissieNer Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Rinsing quinoa definitely helps remove that slightly "off" bitter taste. Here are two recipes I really enjoy -

Sweet Potato Quinoa Cakes (I don't make the blackberry salsa) - http://www.howsweeteats.com/2012/05/sweet-potato-quinoa-cakes-with-blackberry-salsa/

Strawberry and Walnut Quinoa (a wonderful breakfast or dessert!) - theveganmom.com/2011/04/13/good-morning-strawberry-walnut-quinoa/

And I'm planning to try this Asian Quinoa and Vegetable Salad recipe this weekend with grilled chicken - http://www.kitchendaily.com/recipe/asian-quinoa-and-vegetable-salad?ncid=txtlnkusfood00000069

Hope this is helpful!
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple:

With this one, I'd also recommend the addition of some frozen corn (heat it up first before mixing it in at the end) and I increased the lime juice and decreased the olive oil:

Black Bean and Tomato Quinoa

2 teaspoons grated lime zest
    2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (most reviews said to increase this)
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 cup quinoa
    1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
    2 medium tomatoes, diced
    4 scallions, chopped
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Whisk together lime zest and juice, oil, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl.

Wash quinoa in 3 changes of cold water in a bowl, draining in a sieve each time.

Cook quinoa in a medium pot of boiling salted water (1 tablespoon salt for 2 quarts water), uncovered, until almost tender, about 10 minutes. Drain in sieve, then set sieve in same pot with 1 inch of simmering water (water should not touch bottom of sieve). Cover quinoa with a folded kitchen towel, then cover sieve with a lid (don't worry if the lid doesn't fit tightly) and steam over medium heat until tender, fluffy and dry, about 10 minutes. Remove pot from heat and remove lid. Let stand, still covered with towel, 5 minutes.

Add quinoa to dressing and toss until dressing is absorbed, then stir in remaining ingredients and salt and pepper to taste.

___________________________________________________________________________________

This one was so good! Though I'd go lighter on the parsley, that was a bit overwhelming.

Quinoa with Dried Cherries and Pistachios
    (yield: 8 3/4 cup servings)

* 1 3/4 cups uncooked quinoa
    * 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
    * 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
    * 2 cups water
    * 1/3 cup dry white wine $
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice $
    * 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    * 1/2 cup dried sweet cherries, chopped
    * 1/2 cup dry-roasted pistachios, chopped
    * 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
    * 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

1. 1. Rinse and drain quinoa. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallots to pan; sauté 2 minutes or until tender. Add 2 cups water, wine, and salt to pan; bring to a boil. Add quinoa; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Remove from heat; set aside, and cool slightly.
    2. 2. Combine remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, lemon juice, and pepper in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Add quinoa, cherries, and remaining ingredients; toss gently to combine.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I attempted to make quinoa the other night and I found the 'nuttiness' a litt le too much for my taste. Should it be that nutty? This might be a silly question but does anyone have a quinoa recipe that 'masks' it's flavour?

Mixing it into oatmeal dumbs the flavor down a bit
  • srm1960
    srm1960 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I just made Turkey and Quinoa Stuffed Peppers in the crockpot two nights ago. So easy and they came out awesome. Best part, you don't have to brown the ground turkey. Just mix everything, stuff the peppers, put it in the crockpot and you're good to go.

Yields: 6 servings | Serving size: 1 stuffed pepper | Calories: 294 | Previous Points: 6 | Points Plus: 7 | Total Fat: 10 g | Saturated Fats: 2 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 90 mg | Sodium: 145 mg | Carbohydrates: 19 g | Dietary fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 2 g | Protein: 26 g

Ingredients

1 sweet onion, diced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed (white or red will work...white was used in this recipe)
    1/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs (whole wheat panko was used in this recipe...Gluten free panko works as well)
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    Kosher or sea salt to taste
    1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
    1 egg
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    1 pound lean ground turkey (used in this recipes was 93% lean with a mixture of white and dark meat...all breast can be used)
    6 bell peppers, slice away tops, scoop out seeds and membrane (we used 2 yellow, 2 red, 1 orange and 1 green...use your favorite colors)
    1 (24 ounce) marinara sauce, no sugar added (used in this recipe, 'Lucini Rustic Tomato Basil Sauce')
    1/2 cup water

Directions

Combine in a large mixing bowl the first nine ingredients. Add 1/3 cup of parmesan, egg, tomato paste and ground turkey, mix well. Using the turkey mixture, evenly stuff the peppers and place side by side in 4-6 quart slow cooker. Pour marinara over peppers, add water to the marinara jar, swirl around and pour around the peppers. Cover and cook on low 6 hours.

Carefully remove peppers from slow cooker, place on plates and sprinkle with remaining parmesan.

bump
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump :)

Oh and I love it with raisins and slivered almonds, maple syrup and almond milk for breakfast :)
  • jan5555
    jan5555 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Bump for later...
  • ohtobe140
    Options
    1/2 cup cooked quinoa
    1 tbsp ff feta cheese
    5 pitted kalamata olives, chopped up
    3-4 inches of a whole cucumber, peeled and finely chopped
    splash of rice vinegar.

Mix all in a bowl and eat. It's delicious.
  • badzoe
    badzoe Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    These all sound delicious!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I make risotto out of mine - it is so good.

Ingredients:
    1/2 tbsp butter or oil
    5-7 Cremini mushrooms, chopped
    1/2 Vidalia onion, minced
    1/2 shallot, minced
    3 cups vegetable broth
    1.5 cup Quinoa, rinsed
    2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, more for the top
    Drizzle of black Truffle oil (optional)
    Instructions:
    1. Turn your heat to medium and melt the butter until the foaming subsides then add the mushrooms and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the onions and shallots. In the meantime, while the mushrooms are cooking, I’m going to work on cutting up the parsley.
    2. When the mushrooms start to brown its then time to add the Quinoa and vegetable broth. Bring it to a boil then turn to medium-low and cover. After the Quinoa absorbs all the broth, add the parsley and Parmesan cheese. Stir it well. Serve immediately and top with Parmesan cheese and a drizzle of Black Truffle Oil.

I also sometimes cook it with a little white wine, gives it a nice flavor
    Sounds like a great recipe!
    honestly- i drizzle 2 tbsp of smoky BBQ sauce over mine-thats all and i love it so damn much i could eat it every day:)
    Thanks for the enthusiasm! I so need to make some up and stick it in the fridge like I used to do with brown rice!
  • iryshjones
    iryshjones Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    bump
  • oDapho
    oDapho Posts: 50
    Options
    All I do is add sea salt, which is kind of bad. good suggestions here
  • FITBY30
    FITBY30 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i drizzle 2 tbsp of smoky bbq saauce over mine-thats all and i love it so damn much i could eat it every day:)
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Bump for later! I need to utilize some of these recipes!
  • roxieindiana
    roxieindiana Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    This sounds great!
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    S_U_M_M_E_R Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Make sure you rinse it in a strainer for about a minute before you cook it. There's a residue on the outside that can give it a weird flavor if not rinsed off - that could be it. I also cook it in broth rather than water to give it more flavor.
    I didn't know that about the rinsing and the residue. Thank you for sharing.