What is this??

Options
2»

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I can't believe you've never heard of hummus!! Ok so Hummus is a greek dip made from chickpeas. It's usually where the dips are or you can make it fresh at home. In a blender, 1 can of chickpeas, 1 garlic clove, 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil and 1 pinch of salt and pepper. Blend until fairly smooth. This makes about 10 servings. Cal: 60, fat 1 g, carb 10 g, protein 2 g.

Wonton wrappers, at least in my store are found in the organic section of produce.

I'd never heard of hummus before coming to MFP.
    ditto!:tongue:
  • smarston
    smarston Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I can't believe you've never heard of hummus!! Ok so Hummus is a greek dip made from chickpeas. It's usually where the dips are or you can make it fresh at home. In a blender, 1 can of chickpeas, 1 garlic clove, 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil and 1 pinch of salt and pepper. Blend until fairly smooth. This makes about 10 servings. Cal: 60, fat 1 g, carb 10 g, protein 2 g.

Wonton wrappers, at least in my store are found in the organic section of produce.

Glad I'm not alone. =) I'm going to try to make some hummus today or tomorrow. I want tot see what this stuff tastes like.

What does everyone eat their hummus with??
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options

I eat mine with pita bread

Glad I'm not alone. =) I'm going to try to make some hummus today or tomorrow. I want tot see what this stuff tastes like.

I eat mine with pita bread
  • sblim
    sblim Posts: 99
    Options
    Not everyone on MFP has access to large assortments of food. In the grocery stores where I am there is no hummus and I could bet that 99% of the people that I could meet on the street don't know what it is.. Anyways, I quite enjoy hummus, but there is no tahini paste here. Does anyone have a recipe/alternative for tahini or know if I can just use sesame seeds instead?
  • dinosgirl
    dinosgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options

It's good with pita bread - either as a dip or you can put some in the pocket of the pita with some romaine, cucumber slices, olives, bell pepper and a light balsamic vinaigrette. Yum.

It also makes a good dip for veggies. Carrots are a favorite of mine.
  • brightlightkatie
    Options
    I eat my homous with water crackers, preferably carrs but store brand is ok too, carrs only have 14 calories a cracker so I have ten, and it definately makes me less hungry (We spell humous like that in Uk, or at least it does on my packaging !) I get the little snack pots, they are quite low cal and really tasty !!

You could also get a wholemeal pitta bread, slice it up and head it in the oven and use it as a kind of dipping sauce.

Yummy !
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options

Fresh veggies are always a great treat with hummus as well!
  • SarahAlt
    SarahAlt Posts: 44
    Options
    I eat mine with plain or toasted pita bread or bagel crisps.