When did you finally realize?

Options
We all know when we have some or many pounds to lose...but when you are told you are obese or morbidly obese that really hits home. I "finally" made the decision to lose weight was when I was face to face to having surgery and the doctor said I was obese. It made me cringe even though I already knew it. I am sure I am not the only one that feels that way. I truly believe that lives are lost because overweight people hate to go to the doctor because of their weight. The scale is looked at as the enemy... I know I don't like it..

Replies

• Careygirl1968
    Careygirl1968 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    For me it was being diagnosed with diabetes, and my physician gave me 3 months to see if I could get it under control without medication. And I did.

I still have several pounds to go, but a healthy lifestyle and taking it off sensibly and permanently is the way to go! This is a great app, very supportive community.

Best of luck on your journey!
  • Scotch_Bonnet
    Scotch_Bonnet Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I realized it when I finally weighed myself after years of not weighing myself. The scale said a number that was so shocking that I just knew I had to make a difference. Plus I was tired of being the biggest person in all my friends and family.
  • Bel811
    Bel811 Posts: 38
    Options
    I knew enough was enough and that I needed to take control of my weight when I had to go the "larger ladies clothes" area at clothes shops ... i was only mid 20's and that was heart-breaking. Within saying that, it is also the best thing that ever happened, as now i have control of my weight, food and my life.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Realize what?

Oh, I'm not here to lose weight, BMI of 36 is perfectly fine! Right? Right!? ;)

I've been overweight my whole life. Getting to the point where I believed in myself, believed that I could actually do something about it took years, and then one day I was just ready.
  • Anmariee
    Anmariee Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've dealt with it since the birth of my 1st child... I've lost weight a number of times but sometime you get tired of fighting the fight. I reengaged this last time because diabetes is a reality in my family history and I don't want it to be me.

PLUS: I'M SICK AND TIRED OF GOING TO THE DOCTOR AND BEING TALK TO ABOUT DIABETES AND BEING OVERWEIGHT....LEAVE ME ALONE IS WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO SAY...EVERYBODY CANT BE A SIZE 0 CAUSE THEY SCARED TO EAT... ITS SAFE TO SAY I'M GLAD I REENGAGED FOR A LIFESTYLE CHANGE THIS TIME AROUND AND IM GOING THE DISTANCE THIS TIME AROUND
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options

I've been overweight my whole life. Getting to the point where I believed in myself, believed that I could actually do something about it took years, and then one day I was just ready.

☝this

I had actually given up on the idea of losing weight and thought I should accept myself the way I was. Then somebody challenged me and I realized that I was capable of something so much better.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    The nasty scales!!!! I had never been at that weight. At 62 I'm not getting any younger and I know that as I get older it will get even harder. I had been pre-diabetic for several years although my doctor put me on Metformin to 'control my urge for carbs'. Lot of good that did. So I am the one that just point blank siad Dr do I have diabetes? He said no, you are pre-diabetic. To have a diagnosis of diabetes you need two fasting blood sugars over 131. You have had one at 133. But I argued that all this time I had been on Metformin and my blood sugars are still always in the 110 range. So he siad yes, I guess you do. I needed this to give me the push to do it.