IF/Juicing Fast

Options
Ok, I am getting eager to get out of this 4 month plateau and I am willing to try something different. PLEASE ANYONE - give me any information you have on intermittent fasting / juice fasts. I am considering trying this to break the plateau for a short period of time. Let me know what you know!

1 - do i still count calories?
2 - will i just push my 1500-1800 calories to the next day after 24 hour fast
3 - what are the different fasts? I heard there is a 24 hour, a few hour one...a bunch of different ones?

Any other information would be helpful - as well as any success stories!

Replies

• alwaysthefatguy
    alwaysthefatguy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Go to youtube and search fastingtwins that have a channel dedicated to IF
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Soooo...which are you interested in? IF (which I would go to leangains.com to learn more) or juice fasts (which are dangerous fad diets that should never be attempted because they are ridiculous and make no sense)?
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Soooo...which are you interested in? IF (which I would go to leangains.com to learn more) or juice fasts (which are dangerous fad diets that should never be attempted because they are ridiculous and make no sense)?

Yeah, I was not too sure if this was a fad diet or something that actually worked and was real "lifestyle" change...long term success? Perhaps not. I am just hearing a lot about this stuff and I have a co-worker who brought some juice to work today who will be juicing and it tasted really good, thought i would look into it.

Anywho...so your saying IF is better? There is a 24 hour fast and not? AHHh I'm getting so confused with the IF.
  • LoseYouself
    LoseYouself Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comment on fastingtwins on youtube. It's a great channel all about intermittent fasting!

My husband and I began this a few weeks ago and I lost 2 inches off of my waist within the first two weeks despite a plateau. My jeans fit better now even though the scale hasn't moved that much. I'd definitely recommend it! In fact, it seems fairly normal to not eat after dinner, then to have a late morning breakfast to fuel up post-workout. I've always preferred working out on an emoty stomach. I'm able to workout harder.. because eating before a workout (even an hour prior) always gives me discomfort.

I usually stop eating after a large dinner at 6pm, then have my first meal AFTER my workout around 10am. Or if I feel like eating in the evening, I'll eat until 8pm, then fast until after my workout around 12pm! (So I fast 16 hours, eat for 8 hours). I LOVE it. I feel much more satisfied eating my calories in 3 meals rather than small meals and snacks throughout the day. It helps me stay on track better and helps me not to be thinking about food every 2 hours, craving my next snack.

It's worth a try! I personally love it and benefit from it. It'll be different for everyone.
  • LoseYouself
    LoseYouself Posts: 249 Member
    Options

Yeah, I was not too sure if this was a fad diet or something that actually worked and was real "lifestyle" change...long term success? Perhaps not. I am just hearing a lot about this stuff and I have a co-worker who brought some juice to work today who will be juicing and it tasted really good, thought i would look into it.

Anywho...so your saying IF is better? There is a 24 hour fast and not? AHHh I'm getting so confused with the IF.

If you're confused about IF there's a great youtube webinar done by Dr. Michael Lara here: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZZWOXhoFpo) He explains how it works, the health and weight loss benefits, as well as proper technique. There are different ways of doing intermittent fasting, such as a daily fast (like I do) where you fast 16 hours, eat for 8 hours. Or you can just do a 24 hour fast once per week, etc. There are different variations that a person can choose based on their lifestyle and preference. Just try some different techniques. I hate 24 hour fasts, but love the 16/8 style I do. I stop eating at 6pm or 8pm, then don't eat till after my workout at 10am-12 noon. I love it. My body composition has improved.
  • dakotababy
    Options

If you're confused about IF there's a great youtube webinar done by Dr. Michael Lara here: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZZWOXhoFpo) He explains how it works, the health and weight loss benefits, as well as proper technique. There are different ways of doing intermittent fasting, such as a daily fast (like I do) where you fast 16 hours, eat for 8 hours. Or you can just do a 24 hour fast once per week, etc. There are different variations that a person can choose based on their lifestyle and preference. Just try some different techniques. I hate 24 hour fasts, but love the 16/8 style I do. I stop eating at 6pm or 8pm, then don't eat till after my workout at 10am-12 noon. I love it. My body composition has improved.

PERFECT - THANK YOU! now...your still counting calories? During the 8 hours you eat...do you try to eat your entire daily caloric allowance in that amount of time??
    Ex - my allowance is 1300 calories/day....so in the 8 hour "eating" times...i would attempt to get 1300 calories in??? or no?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Check out this group - it gives you details of the main IF alternatives.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/49-intermittent-fasting
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options

It wasn't a fad for me, think before you speak and please do your research!!

I just did a 30 day juice fast and it was fantastic. I have kept my weight off and continue to juice daily because it makes me feel fantastic. We are all on our own journeys and everyone gets to their ending point in different ways. It was not a fad for me and for so many other people and I felt fantastic doing it. It was the only thing that moved my weight after months and months of eating right and working my butt off. So do your research and find what works for you.

I combine IF with juicing and it is perfect. My eating window is between 5pm and 10 pm daily and I have juice in the morning to get my day started perfectly.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

PERFECT - THANK YOU! now...your still counting calories? During the 8 hours you eat...do you try to eat your entire daily caloric allowance in that amount of time??
    Ex - my allowance is 1300 calories/day....so in the 8 hour "eating" times...i would attempt to get 1300 calories in??? or no?
    Yes you eat your daily caloric amount within your eating window.
  • dakotababy
    Options

Yes you eat your daily caloric amount within your eating window.

Now is this IF meant for long term? I really just want to break my plateau and if that works, ill keep doing it until i plateau again. Is the 16/8 the best way to break a plateau? I was thinking the 24 hour one would make more impact...any opinions?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Now is this IF meant for long term? I really just want to break my plateau and if that works, ill keep doing it until i plateau again. Is the 16/8 the best way to break a plateau? I was thinking the 24 hour one would make more impact...any opinions?

There is no 'magic weight loss' to IF. It is a way of eating your calories, but spaced out over the day/week that suits your personal preference.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    IF can be long term. It is for me. I eat only one meal a day and in the evening when I am most hungry. I never wake up hungry. You have to try things you can see yourself using as tools throughout your life because the process of taking care of our bodies is never ending.
  • AntWrig
    Options

There is no 'magic weight loss' to IF. It is a way of eating your calories, but spaced out over the day/week that suits your personal preference.
    This point is overlooked by many. IF won't work unless it is tailored around the individual.
  • AntWrig
    Options
    IF can be long term. It is for me. I eat only one meal a day and in the evening when I am most hungry. I never wake up hungry. You have to try things you can see yourself using as tools throughout your life because the process of taking care of our bodies is never ending.
    I have heard of a few people only eating 1 meal. I can see that being for lower calorie meals <1000 not being too much of an issue. Then again that's just me.

I am curious, how many calories are you consuming?
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    It can be effective for some. You still need to keep track of your calories. Check out the IF group.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    I have heard of a few people only eating 1 meal. I can see that being for lower calorie meals <1000 not being too much of an issue. Then again that's just me.

I am curious, how many calories are you consuming?

I don't count my calories anymore but believe me, I get in way over 1200 for the one meal. I am a quantity eater with a big appetite. This is how I control how much I eat. There is no use eating all day just to be ravenous in the evening and not feel satisfied. I like feeling empty during the day as I am not hungry and then in the evening when hunger pangs come, I can eat till I am satisfied. I eat a very healthy and well balanced meal. The juice in the morning I am sure has a decent amount of calories in it too. My main source of nourishment are fruits and veggies. The rest is secondary.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I have nothing against IF but if you are at a stall you need to make a change that will effect energy balance.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't do IF as it could help adherence but just changing meal timing likely isn't going to do anything for your plateau.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Try anything you like but why would eating the same number of calories per day just only eating them in one small window make a difference to weight loss? If you're eating 1300 calories over 24 hrs or you're eating 1300 calories once a day in an hour it's still 1300 calories a day.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    Try anything you like but why would eating the same number of calories per day just only eating them in one small window make a difference to weight loss? If you're eating 1300 calories over 24 hrs or you're eating 1300 calories once a day in an hour it's still 1300 calories a day.

I do it because I like to feel full when I eat. By saving my calories and eating them all at once, I can achieve that. I know myself really well and little meals throughout the day just leave me wanting more. I would rather not eat when I am not hungry and eat till I am full when I am. We all have different things that work for us. This I found through a lot of experimentation and it really works for me.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am getting eager to get out of this 4 month plateau and I am willing to try something different. PLEASE ANYONE - give me any information you have on intermittent fasting / juice fasts. I am considering trying this to break the plateau for a short period of time. Let me know what you know!

1 - do i still count calories?
    2 - will i just push my 1500-1800 calories to the next day after 24 hour fast
    3 - what are the different fasts? I heard there is a 24 hour, a few hour one...a bunch of different ones?

Any other information would be helpful - as well as any success stories!

1. What I did for my juice fast was that I created a food and named it "Juice - Fasting" and make each glass of juice roughly 200 calories. That is my rough guest but in reality, juice is free because it is packed with all the amazing stuff that is SOOO good for you. So I didn't worry about it too much.

2. I actually weaned off my fast so I wouldn't shock my body. After my fast I went vegetarian for a week then started putting meat back into my diet.

3. The fast I did was a classic juice fast. I went for about 10 days or so on nothing but beautiful veggie and fruit juice.

If want more info, shoot me a message or friend request! I have some great juice recipes :happy:

Hope I helped :flowerforyou: