I'VE SLIPPED UP BADLY! HOW CAN I HELP EASE THE EFFECTS?!

Options
basically i ended up being persuaded to go get a macdonalds tonight, and ate a whole big tasty burger and fries. Shows how bad my willpower is huh!
anyway, i feel horrendous about the whole thing right now and im supposed to be going to sleep but feel like cr@p!
im not too worried about the impact on my weight as i know it wont affect it that much, but in terms of health i cant believe i let myself do it.
any tips to try reverse the effects? lessen the blow?

Replies

• liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Work out a little before bed. But really, there is no reversing it. Take it in stride and learn from it. Tomorrow is a new day, and there is no reason to beat yourself up for one slip up. Every second of every day is another chance. Keep going :)
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Go to sleep and try again tomorrow. One night isn't going to destroy your health. 5 nights a week will, but not one. Drink a bunch of water, shake it off, and keep on keeping on

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • sweetsarahv
    sweetsarahv Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Don't be too hard on yourself! I wouldn't make it a habit obviously, but these things are going to happen. What's important is that you wake up tomorrow and try again!!!

You got this! It's a journey...
  • JustinDoctrinated
    Options
    Get up tomorrow, do your thing like normal, and forgive yourself for one slip-up!
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    remember how you feel right now. it will make passing on mcdonalds next time easier.
  • Corkline
    Corkline Posts: 107
    Options
    Veggies for fiber, water to flush the sodium...and concentrate on how down you feel on yourself. Use it as motivation in the gym this week!
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Get up tomorrow, do your thing like normal, and forgive yourself for one slip-up!

This and exactly this. Don't take any other advice. /end thread
  • sjlapins
    sjlapins Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think it would be incredibly difficult to be on MFP without being able to splurge every now and then. Try not to feel so guilty and be proud that you have made the decision to eat better. I have been logging for 1 year and I look at this as a life style change rather than a restricted diet. You deserve to eat things you enjoy without feeling bad. Hang in there! :-)
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    It's a burger. Just a burger. And some fries or whatever else you had with it. It's now not the first burger you've had while being healthy and I nearly guarantee you - it won't be your last.

And that's okay. One meal, one day, one week of eating like normal people do (and a McD's meal is pretty normal) doesn't mean you're a bad person. Doesn't mean you're a **** up. Just means you had a burger. You can do better next time. And you will. And after the next not so healthy food choice? You can still do better after that, too.

There's no need for such self-admonishment.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Your body is awesome in that it can still use some of what you ate for energy and it has organs to clean itself like kidneys and your liver,etc.
    Don't get down on yourself for a bad meal, move on. Plan your meals for upcoming days and get excited about them!
  • RunningMannn
    Options
    Forget about it...Life is to short to sweat the small things..Learn and make a wiser choice next time..
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    It's a burger. Just a burger. And some fries or whatever else you had with it. It's now not the first burger you've had while being healthy and I nearly guarantee you - it won't be your last.

And that's okay. One meal, one day, one week of eating like normal people do (and a McD's meal is pretty normal) doesn't mean you're a bad person. Doesn't mean you're a **** up. Just means you had a burger. You can do better next time. And you will. And after the next not so healthy food choice? You can still do better after that, too.

Totally agree with the above post ^^
  • Moe0112
    Moe0112 Posts: 123 Member
    Options

Couldn't agree more. Your only human your bound to have cheat days. Tomorrow is a new day. Get a good night sleep and start fresh
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options

Here, here! Also, some of us plan in our less than healthy choices. For example, if you know your friends want to go to McDonald's in the evening, you might choose a healthier than usual lunch and commit to only getting the small fries and no soda.
  • jessicataylor2
    Options
    Drink lots of water and do even a quick workout to get things going. And then tomorrow get back to your normal routine :)
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Read this and then get a good nights sleep and start again tomorrow:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/854965--ruined-my-diet
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^

100% THIS
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    The best thing that you can do is not to worry about it and to be on target the NEXT DAY, maybe add in a little exercise. Not five days or five weeks from now, but right away - before it shows up on the scale.

I have weathered 3,000 calorie binges without gaining weight by being extra careful for the next few days.
  • black_sands
    Options
    one burger won't make you gain 5 lbs, just as one salad won't make you loose 5lbs =)

what's the point of a journey if you cannot allow yourself to enjoy a little bit on the wild side once in a while?
    tick this day off as 'not so satisfactory' - NOT as 'failure' - and the next time your friends invite you say yes, but don't eat there (you do not have to, remember?) or if you feel like snacking, take it and ENJOY it. don't punish your body, if it's craving, give it some ;)

sorry if this is not coherent I'm feverish
  • nyujay2013
    nyujay2013 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Just look at it as your splurge for the week. Studies have consistently shown that allowing yourself to "splurge" 1-2 a week actually increases the chances of sustaining a long-term weight loss plan. People who are too strict, too fast generally fail. So change your perspective and just tell yourself this was your treat for the week. Continue to exercise and eat healthy the rest of the week and no worries!