• upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Work out with your partner

Wear super baggy clothes & a do rag
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member

THIS. I find that if a female makes themselves less "attractive", they don't garner as much attention.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Markus_7
    Markus_7 Posts: 165 Member
    I agree w/Sam308...you could even say: "please don't stare at me..." if they do.
    if you ask them to stop staring and they keep doing it...befriend the biggest/strongest-looking guy and ask him to workout with you or show you an exercise or 2. Then ask him to protect you/ help get the others to stop staring at you...
    also, the baggy clothes idea is good...get a t-shirt that reads: "If you stare at me I will kick your as*...I'm a 3rd degree black belt."
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    You're brave enough to work in the oil field but not to go to the gym?! You can do this! I agree w/the others - no revealing clothes and pop in the earbuds and crank the music - do your thing and ignore anyone else.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Me too, so I go as late as I can before they close, so there are less people.
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    What's the difference between working with a bunch of men and working out with a bunch of men?
    You're apparently used to being with men only, lots of men, so why does this disturb you at the gym?

Go there, earplugs and some good music and you're in your own world. Just do like children do: if I don't look at you, you can't see me ;-)

Most people at the gym are so much focused on themselves and their workout that they won't notice you.
    Don't let anybody keep you from doing something for yourself!
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    When I've exhausted my muscles sometimes I have to use the 5 lb free weights to finish off my muscle exhaustion... I care what people think, but it's not going to deter me from making gainz at the gym. That's the whole point of the gym right? What's the point of going to the gym if you're not going to try your best.

I worry more about cardio and if there is too much body fat jiggling... you can do a low impact cardio or just wear a hoodie. Find what works with you, but I'd serial flip everyone off at your gym if they gave you any trouble.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    I was just thinking last night when I was doing Insanity (on my 8th day) how glad I was to be doing this behind closed doors because I felt like a gimp. Although I liked going to the gym, I don't like being around a lot of people working out, so I just pretend they're not there.
    Try & work out on your own, or if you go to the gym, just pretend no one else is there. Everyone's too focused on themselves anyway.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    I do P90X at home and find it very challenging.
  • melindanew
    melindanew Posts: 150 Member

THIS. I find that if a female makes themselves less "attractive", they don't garner as much attention.

That's completely ridiculous. Why should I have to hide myself just to keep pervs from being jerks?

If you're self-concious at the gym, that's one thing, but I will be damned if I am going to dress so as not to 'garner attention'. I'm not exactly wearing a bikini or anything (and believe me, you're glad I'm not) but....just.....I have no words for this attitude at all.
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    please just go!! seriously you have every right to be there" i got over my fear by just sucking it up" and facing my fear" its not so bad after all i promise.

there not staring either, half the time there to busy checking themselves out then yourself( lol, i do work placement at a local gym and the other night i caught two dudes poking each other in the chest in front of the mirrors, comparing there muscles or something" ha ha :) or they also check up on other dudes as well we had one guy come up to the front counter and ask" whos that guy with the huge chest" it weird i know.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member

That's completely ridiculous. Why should I have to hide myself just to keep pervs from being jerks?

If you're self-concious at the gym, that's one thing, but I will be damned if I am going to dress so as not to 'garner attention'. I'm not exactly wearing a bikini or anything (and believe me, you're glad I'm not) but....just.....I have no words for this attitude at all.
    I agree 100%.

Maybe those guys and guys in general need to grow up. That being said, *I* am one of the nicest guys you can meet in the gym.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Once you've been down the gym a couple of times and no ones batted an eyelid, you'll be fine.
    Life's too short to worry about what other people think.

I think men down the gym get a bad rep. I've never seen a women get perv'd over.
  • I am one of those people who has workout videos at home, and they are great dust catchers. For some reason, I have never been motivated to work out at home.

If you don't have a friend that you can go to the gym with, hire a trainer for a little while if you can afford it. This is what helped me to get over my fear of strength training with mostly men. I was not brave enough to go over there, now I don't even think about it.. Wear a hat or anything you can use to block out some of the stares. Headphones, and regular sweats.
  • jenlouise4
    jenlouise4 Posts: 48 Member
    I used to care because my gym is a university gym but then I realised that the majority of the time nobody really cares who is working out too and those that do are easily ignored.
    Another realisation was that not all of them are crazed fitness people but slightly more challenged in the realm of fitness like me, haha! So it was reassuring to know I'm not always surrounded by Arnold-lookalikes there :)
  • bodypumpfan
    bodypumpfan Posts: 12 Member
    have you tryed speaking to management about getting a woman only time for the gym for an hour think it might help unless management are in there gawking as well
  • Markus_7
    Markus_7 Posts: 165 Member
    just for the record...women stare at guys at the gym too, but they tend to be a bit more subtle/ less uncivilized about it.
  • jkcrawford
    jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
    I work out at home, there is lots to do. I hate the gym and they are so dirty.
  • Ghkffb56
    Ghkffb56 Posts: 263 Member
    hoodies sweats and a iPod.. no one will mess with you.. ^^.. throw a hat on if you rly just want to not make eye contact! Its what i did. Im still soo shy and it helps alot.. don't let anyone stop you from being what you wanna be / look like/ do... hope that makes sense.
    best of luck QT.

btw you are a beautiful girl.. so no matter what you will get guys looking at you. just gotta say F@ck it ^^ sometimes and just do it ;)
  • lornaloo3
    lornaloo3 Posts: 102
    Time to get a work out buddy! Find a friend who will go with you, male or female, just someone you trust and feel safer with. You can do something they enjoy in exchange for an hour of their time a few nights a week. Once you're a regular there I bet you'll feel comfortable going without your friend eventually. You'll feel less self-conscious and you may get to know the idiots who are staring. Seriously, once you become more OHHEYYOUREAHUMANPERSONTOO and less BOOBS! to those guys they'll calm the **** down.