Running, Foot Tattoo?

Options
Hey guys, so I got a foot tattoo touched up about 3 weeks ago and I was wondering if anyone would know it would be okay to start running/exercising again? My aftercare instructions say it can take like up to 6 weeks for a tattoo to completely heal so I figure that's what my tattoo artist would tell me if I asked her. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this sort of thing.

I actually had to get it touched up because the ink didn't stay in some spots, and I think it was because I went running like five days after I got the tattoo. So I'm being super careful this time around.
Most of the scabs are gone but it's still a little raised in some areas, but not flakey.
Also, the tattoo is on the inner side of my foot, if that helps.

Thanks. :]

Replies

• vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I would probably wait for all the scabs to clear out
  • dream_big
    dream_big Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I had to get my foot re colored because most of the color in it didn't take, I would wait a little longer if I were you. You would hate to have to get it re done again!
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I'm really not sure how long you should wait but don't let not running mean not exercising. Hit the gym or pick up a set of freeweights, jump on a bike, swim, or anything else that you have access to that doesn't involve possible damage.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    If the scabs are gone I'd say it's safe, if not wait a little while longer.
  • titanium96
    titanium96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    How about trying to run....? If it hurts stop!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    You're best waiting until the scabs/silvery skin has all gone otherwise if they get rubbed off they will take some of the ink with them. Keep applying whatever cream your tattooist recommended (I used Bepanthan nappy rash cream on my, which was great!) and it should be healed up in no time.

It's also worth noting that any tattoo that gets rubbed easily by shoes or comes into contact with daylight is bound to fade and touch-ups are generally inevitable (but totally worth it to have amazing tattoos!).
  • fotofreak01
    fotofreak01 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Wait until it is completely healed and don't wear closed shoes as much as possible. Foot tattoos are one of the hardest spots to keep looking good simply because of all the wear on tear we put on our feet on a daily basis. While you are at home, if you can stand to, go barefoot or flip flops. The friction of your running shoe on your tattoo will make it need touch ups sooner than normal.
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options

It isn't about hurting. It's about smudging or losing ink.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options

It isn't about hurting. It's about smudging or losing ink.

I would definitely wait.
  • peanutbutterrunner
    Options
    Yeah, I think I'm going to wait a little bit longer.
    But the thing is, there aren't really any scabs. Like, it feels slightly raised but they're definitely not scabby. None of my other tattoos ever did this, either.