family members/partner think they know whats best for you?

Options
My boyfriend insists that he knows exactly how I should work out/eat. He knows that I have a chronic disease that limits what I can do sometimes and that I've had an eating disorder for the last 10 years (in and out of recovery). He tries to tell me what to do even when I do not ask him for advice. If I wanted your advice, I would ASK FOR IT!

Replies

• jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Heck, most people on here think they know whats best for everyone!

I have gone through tons of trial and error, so I have a pretty good idea - diet is preference, but working out - almost everyone who says they know what they are talking about on that topic- do the exact opposite for best results ;)
  • corinh1
    Options
    My husband does the same, he doesn't understand that Womens bodies work differently to mens, I used to try to tell him, now I just smile and nod, then do it my way :)
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    My husband does the same, he doesn't understand that Womens bodies work differently to mens, I used to try to tell him, now I just smile and nod, then do it my way :)

What works for men usually work for women as well (including exercise), or at least I thought that. We tend to complicate things. Am I wrong? What works for women that doesn't for men & vice versa?

Possibly mineral and vitamin requirements may vary, but I would go as far to say men can take women vitamins and vice versa as well
  • Superchas
    Superchas Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Amateur body builder says it all really.
    Whey protein is not food it is a lifestyle choice.

Only you can motivate yourself in my stubborn opinion.

Having said that the limits of what you can do today are determined by your current size and once the ball starts rolling you can decide rate of loss you are comfortable with.

This is a marathon not a sprint so mfp allows you to count calories in and out without the help of somebody else and i am sure it is better to do this than not

Good luck
  • cuddleslayla
    cuddleslayla Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I don't really have that issue. People are the ones coming to me for advice. Even long time body builders and lifters. When strangers usually give me advice that I don't ask for, I politely nod my head.