Anyone from India?

Options
Hi everyone! Am new to MFP n looking for some friends who can suggest about our traditional Indian foods! Most of them r usually high on calories..:(
Though I have been sticking to my goal pretty well, it would be great if I could get some further advice to better my results!

Replies

• tinassofit
    Options
    Hi Niharika,

IM from India. Based in Aussie but from Mumbai.

You're in Pune i noticed.

As much as we love our food, sometimes it tends to get too oily/creamy; and I know how heavy is can feel too.

I've been working on a whole bunch of recipes, meals according to the south beach diet. Along with a workout It has worked like magic for alot of members or my family ( husband and dad incl) and for me I've lost 24 kilos. Its not salads. I promise.

Let me know if you need some information.

I too have just joined MFP recently.

Hope it works.

Take care

Tina
  • KittenTikka
    Options
    Hi Niharika,

I'm based in the UK but originally from Chennai.

I love recipes based on low animal protein combined with fresh veg. I limit carbohydrates to non-processed - brown rice, unprocessed potatoes, home-made chapattis/naans (using wholemeal flour and a dash of sunflower oil). Veg dishes tend to be curried beans, okra, cauliflower, potatoes. Rasam, daal, sambar all low in calories when compared to traditional western diets.

Smaller plates make smaller portions look in proportion. Reduce ghee/yoghurt/fried products. Eat a larger quantity of vegetables rather than bread/rice/potatoes. Refuse second helpings!

I find it's more of a quantity issue rather than the fat content with Indian food. Generally, given its lower animal protein content, it's much healthier than many western foods. Of course, if you eat so-called "Indian" food from the west, it is very high in calories and animal fat (and theenormity of the portion sizes may make your eyes water).

The Indian population is increasing in average size due to the availability of processed foods rather than over-indulging on traditional diets. It's mimicking the west and reaping the wrong rewards :(
  • sallievp
    sallievp Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm in Chennai, India. Moved here 4 months ago from London, UK.
    Weight coming off slowly but really missing my favourite foods from the UK!
  • Mickeyjenny85
    Mickeyjenny85 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi Niharika,

I'm based in the UK but originally from Chennai.

I love recipes based on low animal protein combined with fresh veg. I limit carbohydrates to non-processed - brown rice, unprocessed potatoes, home-made chapattis/naans (using wholemeal flour and a dash of sunflower oil). Veg dishes tend to be curried beans, okra, cauliflower, potatoes. Rasam, daal, sambar all low in calories when compared to traditional western diets.

Smaller plates make smaller portions look in proportion. Reduce ghee/yoghurt/fried products. Eat a larger quantity of vegetables rather than bread/rice/potatoes. Refuse second helpings!

I find it's more of a quantity issue rather than the fat content with Indian food. Generally, given its lower animal protein content, it's much healthier than many western foods. Of course, if you eat so-called "Indian" food from the west, it is very high in calories and animal fat (and theenormity of the portion sizes may make your eyes water).

The Indian population is increasing in average size due to the availability of processed foods rather than over-indulging on traditional diets. It's mimicking the west and reaping the wrong rewards :(

Hi niharika

I'm from chennai too.would you like to share your day's diet with us so it will be very useful ...

Thanks
    Michelle