Help trying to gain weight?

Options
Hi, I'm new here and am enjoying the food calculating bit of the site - was trying to do it on paper, this is much easier!

I'm trying to put on weight in a healthy way as I have lost too much after breastfeeding two kids, and not having time to sit down during the day, or go to the gym.

Have never counted calories before, but am finding it really difficult to reach the target - Ate full meals - spag bolognese etc , snacks, full fat milk smoothie but I'm still way off.

Now it's the end of the day and I've 600 calories to go.

If some people have been in the same position how is the best way to fit in more calories - do you try 4 meals instead of 3 ? If so how do you find the time? or do people use some kind of higher calorie snacks. I don't like nuts or nut spreads.

I want to get healthy and strong for the new year so please no suggestions for junk food:)

Replies

• RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    There is a beachbody program called Bodybeast, which is supposed to pack on muscle which will increase your weight. I'm not sure if that would interest you. I know some people who have added 10+ pounds. Hope that helps.
  • katie__pillar
    Options
    Things like cheese and avocado can be good for calorie boosts.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Your diary isnt open so we cant really see what you eat, or how much at the moment, but i agree with cheese and avocado being good, you say you already have full fat milk, what about full fat greek yoghurt? its delicious, i have it with seeds (full of vitamins and calorie dense) and a banana.

eggs are good snacks, hummus or guacamole are great high cal dips, with good fat.

what about protein powder to add to smoothies? it would add an extra 100 or so cals with plenty of protein.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Serious Mass.
  • mmmmsmoothies
    Options
    Thanks, that's true
  • mmmmsmoothies
    Options
    Thanks for your advice, yes I love natural yoghurt too ! Never heard of protein powder, but will look into it, if it's cheaer than food, may give it a go.
    And Guacamole, I'd forgotten about that. Now that summer's here, I'm going to make up bowls of it for snacking through the day, Cheers!
  • joshs7
    joshs7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Nuts are very calorie dense, something like 1/4 cup for 200 cals. Peanut butter is 2 tbsp for 200 cals also. You could also try meal replacement/ protein shakes. Also try having more meals throughout the day.
  • mmmmsmoothies
    Options
    Yes, I wish I liked nuts, but just can't bear them. I give peanut/almond butter to my daughter and can't bring myself to eat it.
    I like the idea of more meals , but already feel like I'm cleaning up after lunch, then starting dinner preparation not long after :)