losing motivation..

Options
Hey guys.. I've been using Mfp for about 100 days now and having been following the slow and steady route and things have been great till now.. but from the past week I've been losing the battle to motivation.. any tips to stay focused till the goal is attained? Doing this alone has its downsides.. your help is greatly appreciated.. thanks in advance..

Replies

• beadybliss
    Options
    FAT PHOTO

Hi

I have my 'fat photo' taped up in the kitchen - a reminder of how I do NOT want to be any more. The photo captures how blah I felt with the weight on - very motivating.

Create some new recipes - easy to do with the MTP tool.

You have done 100 days, go for 300 !!

How's that?

Janice
  • v1ice
    v1ice Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    hey Janice..
    A fat photo will do the trick.. i've put up a picture of what i was before i bulked up and that always did help, but the effects where always temporary.. sigh.. anyways will use the fat picture trick.. thanks..
  • Strength2Succeed
    Strength2Succeed Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I know what its like to feel alone when trying to loose weight/get healthier. Perhaps you should write down what you dont like about being overweight such as lack of enegy, no motivation, health issues that can develop from extra weight etc. and keep that posted beside your picture.
    What has helped me a great deal is the friends I have on here. I see their updates and it encourages me to get off my butt and at least do something. The encouragement from people on here have been amazing and i no longer feel alone, its like a new family support.
    Add me if you wish, i find the support of others on here is very helpful!
    Good luck and dont give up :)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Sometimes motivation wanes. If you've made this commitment to yourself, and really want it, you just have to keep doing it anyway. Whether it's logging calories and keeping to a certain goal, or getting out and doing the exercise - try to look at these things as not being optional. What other things do you do even if you don't feel like it? Go to work? Brush your teeth? Walk the dog? You're young, I don't know your family situation, but even if this doesn't apply to you, think about people who have children. Think about all the things they do every day that they probably don't really feel like doing, but do anyway because they are committed to the care and well-being of their kids.

Hope this helps. I'm not really one for "tough love", but when you're going through these patches where you really can't be bothered any more, sometimes all you can do is push yourself through it until you start getting your mojo back.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    It would be great if we could get motivation from others and certainly having support of friends is important. But the most important thing is that YOU want this more than you want anything else. When you are at that point? You will do this and you will keep doing it. When I decided that this was now the way my life was going to have to be to get healthy again - it gave me unlimited motivation. It's about you and change. Hard things. But things that have to come from within. Good luck!!
  • v1ice
    Options
    @strength2succed.. i can see how taking motivation from others would help.. i've got friends here whose waiting for the day i call quits and bounce back, but oddly enough just thought helps me keep myself in track.. :D
  • v1ice
    Options
    Sometimes motivation wanes. If you've made this commitment to yourself, and really want it, you just have to keep doing it anyway. Whether it's logging calories and keeping to a certain goal, or getting out and doing the exercise - try to look at these things as not being optional. What other things do you do even if you don't feel like it? Go to work? Brush your teeth? Walk the dog? You're young, I don't know your family situation, but even if this doesn't apply to you, think about people who have children. Think about all the things they do every day that they probably don't really feel like doing, but do anyway because they are committed to the care and well-being of their kids.

Hope this helps. I'm not really one for "tough love", but when you're going through these patches where you really can't be bothered any more, sometimes all you can do is push yourself through it until you start getting your mojo back.

Well i cant say that there has been a specific incident or injury or advice from a physician to get started on a diet.. i just thought that if i keep up this track, i'd most likely end up being over weight my entire life and given my family history its not an ideal scenario. So i just decided that i'd just try to change my outlook and try to become fit by choice rather than by an ultimatum..
  • v1ice
    Options
    It would be great if we could get motivation from others and certainly having support of friends is important. But the most important thing is that YOU want this more than you want anything else. When you are at that point? You will do this and you will keep doing it. When I decided that this was now the way my life was going to have to be to get healthy again - it gave me unlimited motivation. It's about you and change. Hard things. But things that have to come from within. Good luck!!

i get what you are trying to say. Thats what i remind myself all these days and thats what had kept me going. But i was slipping off my track and needed something different and hence the 'SOS' call here.. anyways thanks for the help.. :D and all the best to you too..
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

Well i cant say that there has been a specific incident or injury or advice from a physician to get started on a diet.. i just thought that if i keep up this track, i'd most likely end up being over weight my entire life and given my family history its not an ideal scenario. So i just decided that i'd just try to change my outlook and try to become fit by choice rather than by an ultimatum..
    They sound like good enough reasons to me, and very similar to my own. I don't think it has to be a "do or die" situation, you can still make that commitment if it's what you want. :smile:
  • Lisa2bHappy
    Options
    Hi there,
    I'm on day 10 and yestetday was a real tough day but managed to stay focused thanks to all the support on here.
    My advice is 1) try and remember why you started this journey 2) can you remember what you ate week 1 and how you felt 3) try new meal ideas as variety is key when trying to be healthy.
    I wish you well on this journey :-)
    I'm here for a while as have alot of weight to lose so feel free to check in and let me know how your doing :-) whether your doing great or having a tough day il be here to support you with out judgement.. Hope this helps, tc
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    One thing I've learned is that this journey never ends. It's a life style change, not a "diet" or a race to lose weight. It's a life long journey to attaining and maintaining good health. I have lost 170 lbs...the last 20 is back and I'm battling to get back to where I felt good. I keep a fat picture and list of my former medical problems handy to remind me of how far I've come. I also keep with me my mantra...."I CHOOSE LIFE OVER FOOD.". It's not easy and there are days when I want to give up, or at least eat a giant bowl of pasta. So I eat a half a cup, remember the "good old days" of eating whatever whenever and not being able to walk up a flight of stairs with out stopping to rest, not being able to get up from the floor after playing with my kids, not fitting in an airplane seat...and think "what was good about that?". You can do it. Relax and push through. Good luck.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I was having a hard time dieting on my own too and getting little support from family. I asked my mum after I'd struggled to drop 9 lbs if I looked any different and she just mumbled "Oh, I don't notice these things" - gee thanks!

Since Christmas I've added a few more frends on MFP and we are supporting each other. Reading their comments and seeing that they are making the effort and the time to exercise everyday is giving me the motivation to do the same.

Don't get discouraged, you can do this!

Feel free to add me if you like
  • mghn77
    mghn77 Posts: 1
    Options
    Have you tried a motivational collage? Or before photos on your fridge? And read some success stories, those always helped pump me back up! You should definately get a buddy. Put a post on face book. You will be surprised how many people want the same goals you do. Stay motivated!!! Nothings better than showing off your new body to people who thought you would fail! :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you have done 100 days without a break then have a week off. your body will thank you for a break from working out and a week at maintenance will kickstart your motivation!
  • v1ice
    Options
    They sound like good enough reasons to me, and very similar to my own. I don't think it has to be a "do or die" situation, you can still make that commitment if it's what you want. :smile:

:D thanks a lot.. i know i can keep up with my goals right now.. you've been of great help..
  • Lisa2bHappy
    Options
    Yeah 100 days is fantastic ;-) well done
  • v1ice
    Options
    Hi there,
    I'm on day 10 and yestetday was a real tough day but managed to stay focused thanks to all the support on here.
    My advice is 1) try and remember why you started this journey 2) can you remember what you ate week 1 and how you felt 3) try new meal ideas as variety is key when trying to be healthy.
    I wish you well on this journey :-)
    I'm here for a while as have alot of weight to lose so feel free to check in and let me know how your doing :-) whether your doing great or having a tough day il be here to support you with out judgement.. Hope this helps, tc

wow.. congrats on with your new program and all the best at it.. it takes a lot of willpower to get by the first initial days of craving but you can definitely tough it out especially with all the support you can get from here.. I'd help you out in anyway i can.. stay strong and thanks for you help.. I feel refreshed already..
  • v1ice
    Options
    One thing I've learned is that this journey never ends. It's a life style change, not a "diet" or a race to lose weight. It's a life long journey to attaining and maintaining good health. I have lost 170 lbs...the last 20 is back and I'm battling to get back to where I felt good. I keep a fat picture and list of my former medical problems handy to remind me of how far I've come. I also keep with me my mantra...."I CHOOSE LIFE OVER FOOD.". It's not easy and there are days when I want to give up, or at least eat a giant bowl of pasta. So I eat a half a cup, remember the "good old days" of eating whatever whenever and not being able to walk up a flight of stairs with out stopping to rest, not being able to get up from the floor after playing with my kids, not fitting in an airplane seat...and think "what was good about that?". You can do it. Relax and push through. Good luck.

its true being about the life style change.. its amazing to see that what i could usually wolf down for a meal or a snack could literally be what i should have for an entire day.. so by having smaller meals in frequent numbers i've been able to change my diet routine drastically, which were quite the annoyance to my friends since i stopped binge eating.. :D well all the best for you to lose them 20 pounds.. Keep at it and thanks for all your help..
  • munsonm
    Options
    fat photos work great, I have my large pants and the much smaller one pinned inside my door lookin at the difference of 4 inches in the waist really helps.
  • Lisa2bHappy
    Options
    Hey :-)
    Glad your feeling refreshed..