Weight Lifting Routine! Help!

Options
Heyyy All!

I need help. Next Tuesday I will be starting my weight lifting twice a week and I need help with a routine.

What exercises should I definitely do?
How many reps per exercise?
Since I'm only doing it twice a week (Tuesdays & Thursdays) should I do upper and lower body in the same day? Or do upper one day and lower another?

I have about 100lbs to lose and I KNOW that weight lifting and lifting heavy is the only way I can REALLY get the body I want.
I want to gain muscle, and get stronger and tone.

I walk at least 2 miles every day just at work sometimes closer to 5 miles. I may do a few minutes warm up on the treadmill before I lift but I feel I get my cardio in throughout the day and I can always add that later because that's the easy part.

Please help me get a routine down that I can do in maybe 30-45minutes.

Thanks,
Fancy Nancy (=

Replies

• annie_e12
    annie_e12 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I really like Chalean Extreme. It is a 3x/week 12-week DVD plan. I started out with fairly low weights and have gotten progressively stronger. I like that it is all planned out for me.

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/chalean_extreme.do
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    You can look up Stronglifts 5x5 or the New rules of lifting for women. Both will probably work for what youre looking for

I havent tried the NROLW for obvious reasons. But I do Stronglifts 5x5 its simple and quick and Im seeing results fairly quickly
  • craftybirdy
    Options
    You might want to get a trainer to help out in designing a routine specifically for you and your goals. x2 a week you could easily do full body both days as long as you have a day of rest in between. If you decide against a trainer for what ever reason, there are plenty of great web sites and programs available on the internet... lots of people recommend Starting Strength, NROLFW, and Strong Lifts... not sure on how each of them break down in days per week and splits.
  • Cjoseph03
    Cjoseph03 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Interested in the replies!
  • NancyMarie13
    NancyMarie13 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Can anyone give me specific exercises to do?
    And how many reps to do with each one?

As mentioned I will only be working out 2 days a week.

Maybe if you have a routine mention that like "deadlifts this many sets this many times" that would help me a lot.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    SL 5x5 is two workouts which alternate - they suggest 3 sessions per week but I've been getting perfectly good results off 2. Each workout is full-body. Only 5 exercises to master (Squat, Bench press, Overhead press, Pendlay row, Deadlift) and it's clear when you're doing it whether you're ready to progress to heavier weights. I'd suggest getting someone to show you form, and then away you go.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

Maybe if you have a routine mention that like "deadlifts this many sets this many times" that would help me a lot.

Stronglifts.com it will give you all that information there
  • NancyMarie13
    Options
    Awesome information!! I like the simplicity of only mastering a few and going to town with that & a full-body workout!
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you learn proper form and don't start too heavy till you learn it. Watch rippetoe stuff on youtube to learn form. Also, make sure you do proper dynamic stretching before your lifts, check out eric cressey on youtube for that.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

New Rules of Lifting for Women is great, and is a full body routine that tells you all the reps and sets and it can be done 2x per week.
  • cherriegh
    cherriegh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Stronglifts 5X5 3times a week and works very fast for me if loaded with the heaviest weights (from experience)

but i have just hurt my hip joint(poor form) so am deloading on the squats and doing other alternative workout so its no longer Stronglifts anymore but still lifting heavy.....modified :)

As other post said work on form first then lift as heavy as you can..... wish i had someone to guide me on form earlier :(
  • NancyMarie13
    Options
    Just make sure you learn proper form and don't start too heavy till you learn it. Watch rippetoe stuff on youtube to learn form. Also, make sure you do proper dynamic stretching before your lifts, check out eric cressey on youtube for that.

ahhh good info gunna check that out for sure! definitely wanna be safe and do this the right way
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I agree with New Rules of Lifting for Women - give this a go. It really spells out what you need to do, how much and when. I saw one post that a lady printed out the photos of the exercises - took them to her gym to the trainer and said "show me how to do this"... what a great idea!

Good luck.
  • NancyMarie13
    Options
    Thanks! Super helpful!!
  • omnisis
    omnisis Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If go upper, lower if u only have two days to spare. Focus on the core compound lifts. For upper :
    - military press
    - lat pull downs / assisted chins
    - rows
    - bench press

For lower:
    - squat
    - lunges
    - leg press
    - deadlifts

Rep scheme is up to you but I hear 5x5 is popular with ppl just starting out.
  • NancyMarie13
    Options
    If go upper, lower if u only have two days to spare. Focus on the core compound lifts. For upper :
    - military press
    - lat pull downs / assisted chins
    - rows
    - bench press

For lower:
    - squat
    - lunges
    - leg press
    - deadlifts

Rep scheme is up to you but I hear 5x5 is popular with ppl just starting out.

that's more like it!
  • Tiddlypeeps
    Tiddlypeeps Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've started strong lifts 5x5 recently and love it.

It's a great starter program because there are only a small number of exercises to learn and perfect. To me this means less opportunity for injury. And it's a full body workout.

I can see myself progressing onto a more advanced program after a while but for starting out it's great.

This post is a great overview of the program:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary