Quinoa Recipes

Options

Replies

• S_U_M_M_E_R
    S_U_M_M_E_R Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I use white quinoa as well. I don't mind the taste at all. I just put mixed veggies with it and a bit of feta cheese crumbles. Yum!
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    S_U_M_M_E_R Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup cooked quinoa
    1 tbsp ff feta cheese
    5 pitted kalamata olives, chopped up
    3-4 inches of a whole cucumber, peeled and finely chopped
    splash of rice vinegar.

Mix all in a bowl and eat. It's delicious.
    Yum! I want this for lunch tomorrow. Thanks for sharing!
  • juliedor
    juliedor Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I attempted to make quinoa the other night and I found the 'nuttiness' a litt le too much for my taste. Should it be that nutty? This might be a silly question but does anyone have a quinoa recipe that 'masks' it's flavour?
    I find you have to really rinse Quinoa before you cook it.You also have to cook it until you see the little tails.
  • dena789
    dena789 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I need to try this!
  • TheAwesomeOwl
    Options
    Bump
  • Ellienana
    Ellienana Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Ellienana
    Ellienana Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I don't like straight quinoa either. I go 50/50 with rice

Love quinoa and bulghar wheat together. OFten just put a s soup cube in with the water and eat it as a side, but it goes in anything and everything. YuMMy!
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Forks Over KNives recipe book has alot of good quinoa recipes. I am trying one tonight that is Quinoa rissotto,
  • Bex2Bslim
    Bex2Bslim Posts: 1,092
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I found this recipe on MFP - I haven't made it yet, but it sounds good. I like quinoa in salads too. Some great recipes / ideas in this thread :-)

:smile:
    MAIN VEGETARIAN – Quinoa & Spinach Fritters

Quinoa - Cooked, 1 cup cooked (185g)
    White - Flour, 40 g
    Feta, 30 grams
    Spinach - Frozen, chopped or leaf, cooked, boiled, drained, without salt, 60 g
    Onions - Raw, 50 g
    Generic - Egg Raw - Large, 2 large
    Oil - Olive, 1 tablespoon
    Chopped parsley (about half a cup)
    Salt and pepper to taste

Beat the eggs lightly, then mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Make into fritters and fry in a non-stick pan with a bit of olive oil. I baked mine in the oven to finish them off for a while, too. Super yum with some stir fried veges - would be good with a salad or something, too!
    And only 126 cals per fritter (they're reasonably large, too!)
    :smile:
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    Try cooking it in a rice cooker so easy
  • claireellenhansen
    Options
    This recipe from Eating Well is delicious. I've made it several times. The only modifications I've made are to omit the raisins (I don't tend to love them in savory dishes) and to double the amount of squash on top.

Vegetarian Quinoa & Squash Casserole
    From EatingWell: September/October 2012
    An aromatic mixture of garlic, paprika, cumin, coriander, allspice and cayenne flavors this vegetarian quinoa and squash casserole recipe. Frozen squash is a super-easy topping.

6 servings, about 1 2/3 cups each
    Active Time: 30 minutes
    Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes

Ingredients
    • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
    • 1 large onion, diced
    • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
    • 1 tablespoon paprika
    • 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
    • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
    • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
    • 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed
    • 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
    • 2 cups frozen chopped spinach
    • 1 cup quinoa or whole-wheat couscous
    • 1/2 cup golden raisins
    • 1 cup water
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
    • 2 10- to 12-ounce boxes frozen pureed squash, thawed
    • 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro

Preparation
    1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
    2. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and browned, 9 to 11 minutes. Add garlic, paprika, 2 teaspoons cumin, coriander, cayenne and allspice and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in chickpeas, tomatoes, spinach, quinoa (or couscous), raisins, water and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
    3. If thawed squash is watery, place in a fine-mesh sieve and gently press to extract excess liquid. Transfer to a medium bowl and stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, 1/2 teaspoon cumin and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Spread the squash evenly over the chickpea mixture.
    4. Cover the pan and bake until steaming hot, about 45 minutes for quinoa (15 minutes for couscous). Let cool for 5 minutes. Serve sprinkled with cilantro.

Tips & Notes
    • Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2, transfer to a 3-quart baking dish; top with squash mixture (Step 3), cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Let stand at room temperature while oven preheats. Bake, covered, until bubbling at the edges and heated through, about 45 minutes.

Nutrition
    Per serving: 438 calories; 11 g fat ( 1 g sat , 6 g mono ); 0 mg cholesterol; 76 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 15 g protein; 14 g fiber; 741 mg sodium; 1088 mg potassium.

Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (204% daily value), Folate (57% dv), Magnesium & Vitamin C (40% dv), Iron (39% dv)
  • loriconant
    loriconant Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I cook it on the stove with water and no seasonings, but in a separate pan, I sautee onions garlic, cut up carrots, diced green pepper, a handful of precooked crumbled bacon, Mrs. Dash salt free seasoning, usually original and garlic/onion together, until all is tender, then wilt some chopped up fresh kale on top of that. when the kale is tender, I combine the quinoa, with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and make it a pilaf type dish. It's a GREAT side to chicken, pork or on it's own as leftovers the next day.

You could also add sweet seasonings and have it for breakfast instead of oatmeal.

It's SO versatile! I love the stuff.
  • oTashao
    Options
    Make sure you rinse it in a strainer for about a minute before you cook it. There's a residue on the outside that can give it a weird flavor if not rinsed off - that could be it. I also cook it in broth rather than water to give it more flavor.

I too cook mine in a broth, a low sodium one. :)
  • Nacho12
    Nacho12 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I make steel cut oats & quinoa in my rice cooker. Here's the recipe.

1 1/2 measures of steel cut oats
    1/2 measure of quinoa
    2 1/2 measures of water

Put in rice cooker and turn on. I put in plastic container and store. We just scoop out what we want in
    the morning, warm in microwave for one minute. Add whatever you want. We add blueberries,
    slivered almonds, sunflower seeds, coconut sugar and milk.

The measure if the scoop that the rice cooker comes with. I have a small one so have to be careful it
    doesn't overflow if I use too much water. The measure is a little smaller than 1/2 cup.
  • mamawoz
    mamawoz Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just made Turkey and Quinoa Stuffed Peppers in the crockpot two nights ago. So easy and they came out awesome. Best part, you don't have to brown the ground turkey. Just mix everything, stuff the peppers, put it in the crockpot and you're good to go.

Yields: 6 servings | Serving size: 1 stuffed pepper | Calories: 294 | Previous Points: 6 | Points Plus: 7 | Total Fat: 10 g | Saturated Fats: 2 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 90 mg | Sodium: 145 mg | Carbohydrates: 19 g | Dietary fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 2 g | Protein: 26 g

Ingredients

1 sweet onion, diced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed (white or red will work...white was used in this recipe)
    1/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs (whole wheat panko was used in this recipe...Gluten free panko works as well)
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    Kosher or sea salt to taste
    1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
    1 egg
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    1 pound lean ground turkey (used in this recipes was 93% lean with a mixture of white and dark meat...all breast can be used)
    6 bell peppers, slice away tops, scoop out seeds and membrane (we used 2 yellow, 2 red, 1 orange and 1 green...use your favorite colors)
    1 (24 ounce) marinara sauce, no sugar added (used in this recipe, 'Lucini Rustic Tomato Basil Sauce')
    1/2 cup water

Directions

Combine in a large mixing bowl the first nine ingredients. Add 1/3 cup of parmesan, egg, tomato paste and ground turkey, mix well. Using the turkey mixture, evenly stuff the peppers and place side by side in 4-6 quart slow cooker. Pour marinara over peppers, add water to the marinara jar, swirl around and pour around the peppers. Cover and cook on low 6 hours.

Carefully remove peppers from slow cooker, place on plates and sprinkle with remaining parmesan.

Sounds amazing! This might be what I do this Friday night!
  • kimmcconkey
    kimmcconkey Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips and recipes! I'll try rinsing/soaking it next time for a longer period ( I just did a quick rinse) and the rice cooker is an awesome idea ( I have one but I've never used it).
  • Shaylam82
    Shaylam82 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    bump for later