EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Take Vitamin B12 - 2000mcg in the morning

I'll send you a bill for $500

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTowDf_YgfLKePI7WkJLOpUoIi0ctfsXIAM3DL2tg5zH3il0bLZ
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options

Thanks for this. Just checked my box of Stevia (HyVee brand), and the first ingredient is Erythritol, a 0 calorie sugar alcohol, but not exclusively Stevia. Stevia is the second ingredient (though called Rebiana). Might have to check out Stevia in the Raw or something.

NP! I accidentally got suckered into buying a box of Stevia that was a mix of fructose and stevia (can't remember the brand name). I think PureVia & Truvia are not real stevia. They are made by Pepsi & Coca Cola and are pretty processed. Look for pure stevia in the supplements section of a place like whole foods.
  • Narla444
    Narla444 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I wish I could find the link again, but I recently read on another blog (Gail Vaz Oxlade- Other voices) how the poster was going through the effects of withdrawal from sweeteners. So you aren't the only one! She was consuming about the same amount of sweetener and stopped cold turkey.
  • samlankford
    Options
    I was a HUGE diet soda fan, I still have it every now and then but not like I did before (just never really liked the sweetness of regular soda) i have to have 2 packets of sweet and low in black tea, but I don't drink it often.. everything (coffee and green tea) is drank straight, no sweetness added, no milk...
  • fortysixpounds
    fortysixpounds Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    This is just an opinion and not medical advice, I think it might be a good idea to call your doctor on the phone, just check in.

But in my experience, this is withdrawal, I always think it's a good idea to cut things like this back gradually. (Its too late for you now to do that though) but for anyone else reading this and considering cutting back , maybe remove one sachet from each coffee for and do that for a few days then reduce again after a few more days and then maybe down to half a sachet for a few days. This will allow your body to adjust more easily.

I have a good bit of experience with withdrawal and it sounds very like what you are describing however check in with your doctor to be on the safe side if its causing you anxiety. :smile: let us know how it turns out!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I too would follow the advice to check with your doctor.. I am diabetic and what you are describing sounds more blood sugar related... on a side note with your coffee is there a reason you just don't use pure cane sugar? I use Domino's brand and 1 spoonful is like 15 calories. I don't skimp for my morning coffee it gets the usual 2 spoonfuls and some International Delight Hershey chocolate and caramel coffee creamer... Somethings are just not worth giving up!! lol..... Best of Luck...
  • fortysixpounds
    Options
    p.s. congrats on quitting artificial sweeteners, they are so bad, I don't know why they are even allowed to sell them to people.
  • fortysixpounds
    Options
    on a side note with your coffee is there a reason you just don't use pure cane sugar? I use Domino's brand and 1 spoonful is like 15 calories. I don't skimp for my morning coffee it gets the usual 2 spoonfuls and some International Delight Hershey chocolate and caramel coffee creamer... Somethings are just not worth giving up!! lol..... Best of Luck...

I totally agree with this, I don't understand the need for artificial sweetners at all. I don't really use sugar myself but I wouldn't have a problem with it either. I use honey and that does the trick and theres no calories in that really and it's good for you.
  • IRollC30
    IRollC30 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I too would follow the advice to check with your doctor.. I am diabetic and what you are describing sounds more blood sugar related... on a side note with your coffee is there a reason you just don't use pure cane sugar? I use Domino's brand and 1 spoonful is like 15 calories. I don't skimp for my morning coffee it gets the usual 2 spoonfuls and some International Delight Hershey chocolate and caramel coffee creamer... Somethings are just not worth giving up!! lol..... Best of Luck...

I don't use real sugar because I would have to count the calories. In my warped mind, I would rather have no sweeteners than dare add to my daily calorie totals.

As far as eliminating the sweeteners from my coffee goes, I'm just now getting to the point where I can bare the taste of it. People have told me that it is possible to acquire the taste for black coffee. I'm not there yet, but I'm going to give it the ol' college try (two months or so?) and we'll see then.
  • IRollC30
    Options
    p.s. congrats on quitting artificial sweeteners, they are so bad, I don't know why they are even allowed to sell them to people.

Thanks. But the prospect of being able to have my cake (something sweet) and eat it too (no calories) has strong appeal.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    No, if anything I've recently increased my caffeine to help counter the effects. I'm not drinking more coffee, just stronger cups.

It's quite bizarre.

I also forgot to mention another symptom. If I stand up too fast I get lightheaded.

Between 10am (now) and noon (when I eat lunch) I begin to get the "shakes". I can't keep my hands steady until I eat my lunch. I haven't changed my caloric intake for breakfast or lunch (I've been eating basically the same thing for breakfast and lunch for months now).

So why are you attributing the changes to the sweetener and not the caffeine or a combination? Caffeine can cause the symptoms you list via adrenaline - basically you are putting your body into a state of stress. It also messes with sleep quality if not quantity which in turn affects processing of nutrients and blood sugar control. Just cut back on the coffee to a couple of cups a day or cut it out entirely, it doesn't even sound like you genuinely enjoy it.
  • IRollC30
    Options
    **Update**

A couple days ago I FINALLY came out of my "withdrawal" from Sweet'N Low. My symptoms went away just as quickly as they started. I have felt normal the last couple of days.

It was a weird experience. Who knows what was the root cause of my issues...

Thank you, everyone, for your concern.
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    All I can say is that it makes you question even moreso what kind of bad things that stuff was doing for you. I mean....seemed pretty serious. I use 3 packets of Splenda each day in my coffee and I am about to start the Ultimate Reset....concerned about my possible "withdrawl" from both Splenda AND coffee (since I have to stop both for 3 weeks).

I am glad you came out of the symtoms though. Ew
  • fortysixpounds
    Options
    **Update**

A couple days ago I FINALLY came out of my "withdrawal" from Sweet'N Low. My symptoms went away just as quickly as they started. I have felt normal the last couple of days.

It was a weird experience. Who knows what was the root cause of my issues...

Thank you, everyone, for your concern.

Thats great Im delighted to hear it! I shudder to think what side effects we'll see in years to come of these sweetners considering the side effects withdrawal can produce!
  • the1andonlynono
    Options
    I have been using sweet n low to sweeten my tea everyday for the past 12 years. I typically drink about 2-3 quarts a day. Now that's a lot of sweet n low!!! I've tried to stop using it before but was always unsuccessful. I recently stopped again 2 days ago. I have been exhausted and feel miserable. I felt I was experiencing hypoglycemia and checked my sugar but it was fine. Blood pressure was normal as well. Determined this time to not look back.
  • fortysixpounds
    Options
    Just going through my old topics and I wish I knew then what I know now.

watch 'The bitter truth about sugar' on youtube