South Beach Diet?

Options
I've been at a standstill for a long time. I'm wanting to do something different to get things going again. How do you guys feel about the South Beach Diet? Has anyone done it with success? Was it worth it? It's saying you can lose anywhere between 8 and 12 pounds the first two weeks...any truth to that?

EDIT: I'm editing this to ask a better question. I've cut back on the calories (not too low, between 1300-1500) and I exercise pretty regularly. I need something to get me motivated again and to eat cleaner. My diary isn't open, but I can tell you it's not very clean. Typical day: breakfast-greek yogurt with a kashi granola bar, lunch-a sandwich with whole grain bread, turkey, 2% provolone, light mayo, a mini bag of popcorn, apple. Dinner-typically something like grilled chicken salad. I might throw in a pack of crackers somewhere. I guess I just don't know what to do differently.

Replies

• now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I've been at a standstill for a long time. I'm wanting to do something different to get things going again. How do you guys feel about the South Beach Diet? Has anyone done it with success? Was it worth it? It's saying you can lose anywhere between 8 and 12 pounds the first two weeks...any truth to that?

It's like any other diet... you will lose weight at first... but what happens when you go back to eating normally? You gain the weight back.

Following a specific diet plan is not good unless you plan to eat like that for the rest of your life.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Losing 12 pounds in two weeks is not a good thing. It would be temporary and risky. Chopping your arm off will make your scale give a lower number as well, that doesn't make it a good idea.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...It's saying you can lose anywhere between 8 and 12 pounds the first two weeks...any truth to that?
    Probably so - but it will be almost all "water weight" as a result of glycogen/water depletion due to the reduction in carbs. That's fine if you're just looking for quick results on the scale, but it's not a realistic loss.
  • MrsBikiniBound
    Options
    Diets don't work- especially those that eliminate essentials like carbs or sugars completely- that being said for short term loss that will most likely be gained back unless you sustain it for life, I have had a few colleagues lose a good amount using southbeach before gaining it back
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I use South Beach whenever I need a "kick start", when I have been on a plateau for too long.
  • sluedu09
    sluedu09 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Okay. I was just wondering, so I'm glad I asked. I guess I'm trying to get myself to eat cleaner ( I just ate a bunch of pita chips because I'm bored) but it seems I need some sort of goal to work towards. I've stalled out and I'm trying to figure out what to do next.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I agree with above poster. The only diet that will really work is something you can maintain, and the SBD is hard to stick to. If you want to lose weight in a hurry, try eating only raw fruits and veggies, with plenty of water, for a couple weeks, then to maintain, just eat a well balanced, healthy diet that incorporates tons of fruits and vegetables, and exercise.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    "Kick starting" with a high protein, high fat intake is just tricking your scale. Losing pounds is not the same as losing fat and being healthy, particularly in the short term.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    The best thing I like about the SB plan is that phase one rids you of your sweet and starch cravings. The first time I followed SB about 7 years ago I lost 11 lbs the first two weeks and a total of 42 lbs. I kept it off for about 3 yrs then a bunch of things got me off track and I gained it back. I started again last Jan. but am not following it as strictly now, more like using it for a guideline. I think SB gives you a good combination of complex carbs, protein and healthy fats. It's not high fat as someone said and it's not low carb like many believe. There are a lot of great recipes available. I have a lot on my Pinterest page: www.pinterest.com/issypal.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Okay. I was just wondering, so I'm glad I asked. I guess I'm trying to get myself to eat cleaner ( I just ate a bunch of pita chips because I'm bored) but it seems I need some sort of goal to work towards. I've stalled out and I'm trying to figure out what to do next.

one thing that works for me is to not have stuff like pita chips in the house. nothing wrong with pita chips but stuff like that will get eaten up quick if I have it around
  • dblk19
    dblk19 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I completely agree! Have been doing it almost 2 weeks and feel great! I now know much more about my body after doing much research about this diet and then implementing it. I have not missed any of the "forbidden" carbs and look forward to adding back in some fruit, whole grains, and some milk, but I am going to pay closer attention to how my body reacts to those foods now that I have been without them. I truly believe that this a lifestyle choice for me. I have found so many great alternatives and modifications to the things I loved to eat! I understand the first 2 weeks are very restrictive, but it has been worth it. I haven't been hungry, nor have I had any cravings for anything. My blood sugar has remained steady and I have more energy now than I did when I was just trying to make good choices and tracking my calories with MFP.
  • RaineMarie
    RaineMarie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I did Phase 1 (the first 2 weeks) of the South Beach Diet over the summer and I lost a whole 3 lbs. I ate better than I had been and it was only hard the first 3 days when your body is still craving carbs and sugars. But for me, it was impossible to continue eating that way - it just wasnt a realistic long time lifestyle way of eating. I did gradually add foods back in and slowly learn what causes me stomach problems, so for that it was valuable, at least.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    It sounds like mostly you would get a psychological boost out of it. That counts too, go give it a shot :-)
  • missjeanlouise
    missjeanlouise Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    As another data point, I did SB and lost nothing for 8 weeks. Nothing. I kept it up, though, and evenually lost 20 pounds. It was a good plan for me because I was able to really keep my wonky blood sugar stable and I felt much more energetic. The only reason why I'm back needing to lose weight is user error---i.e., not following what I know is a good eating plan for me.
  • blood6338
    blood6338 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'll preface this by stating that I'm far from a nutrition expert...if I was I probably wouldn't have ever gotten up to 318 pounds last year. But I'm having pretty good luck following the Eat To Live concepts proposed by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. If you look at my diary I definitely don't claim to follow ETL perfectly but I just try to eat more vegetables and fruit and a lot more things like beans. I'm also slowly converting over to a vegetarian lifestyle. And it's for life...I don't plan on eating Vegetarian until I reach my desired weight loss and then go back to eating meat. That's why diets don't work long term. Once you get off them the weight comes back on. I don't know if this helps but I wish you luck in your weight loss journey.
  • tinassofit
    Options
    True! I've been on it for a long time. Also, once you know what's required, you can pretty much have the kind of food that you like with all thats from the SBD. Being indian, i incorporated it into my indian food. works quite well.
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I did SBD a few years ago and had a lot of sucess with it. I actually try to eat very similarly to it now, with the exception of sugar - I eat waaaaaay more sugar than SBD calls for.

The initial two week loss might not happen for you as you are already eating fairly healthy - I think that the initial weight loss comes from losing water weight when you decrease your sodium intake. Also, for the first two weeks you're in Phase 1, where you eat very few carbs. That's the most strict phase and you eat mostly lean protien and veggies. No fruit, no starches, no sugars. If I remember correctly I ate mostly salad, nuts, cottage cheese, eggs, broccoli and chicken during those two weeks.

When you get to Phase 2 you add "healthy" carbs back in. Whole grain breads, fruit, the banned veggies, etc. That's the phase that you're supposed to keep up until you've reached your goal weight. Then you move to Phase 3, which is maintenance for life. Basic difference between Phase 2 and Phase 3 is that you allow yourself some "treats" on Phase 3 that you wouldn't in Phase 2

All in all, I think it's a good diet. Phase 2 is very similar to a diet that they would put you on if you have gestational diabetes during pregnancy. If I was doing it now I would still count calories just out of curiosity, but I bet I would be at or under my calorie goal as that's a lot of how I eat now anyway (like I said, with the exception of sweets!).
  • missjeanlouise
    missjeanlouise Posts: 80 Member
    Options

If I was doing it now I would still count calories just out of curiosity, but I bet I would be at or under my calorie goal as that's a lot of how I eat now anyway (like I said, with the exception of sweets!).

That's pretty much how it is for me, too. I mostly eat that way but the wheels really came off the bus with sweets. I was exercising a lot and suddenly started unconsciously justifying eating whatever the heck I want. Half the Halloween candy =/= occasional treat. ;)
  • di1428
    di1428 Posts: 165 Member
    Options

EDIT: I'm editing this to ask a better question. I've cut back on the calories (not too low, between 1300-1500) and I exercise pretty regularly. I need something to get me motivated again and to eat cleaner. My diary isn't open, but I can tell you it's not very clean. Typical day: breakfast-greek yogurt with a kashi granola bar, lunch-a sandwich with whole grain bread, turkey, 2% provolone, light mayo, a mini bag of popcorn, apple. Dinner-typically something like grilled chicken salad. I might throw in a pack of crackers somewhere. I guess I just don't know what to do differently.

i have been following it since april 2012 and i find its not a "diet" but a plan and a healthier way of eating.
    for me, it has helped me cut out alot of sugar and i definetly dont have that same sweet tooth as i did before.
    i had lost about 45 lbs so far (have plateaued recently but that is also because i have not incorported excercise into
    my lifestyle..working on that now) but more importantly my blood work has come back normal as before i started
    i was headed towards diabetes...

someone wrote "then what, when you go back to eating normal"?
    i dont think we want to go back to eating what was normal for us...that is what got us over weight in the first place.!

i would suggest reading the book......take it in and see if its right for you..i found the book very informative and then
    started on this journey using SB as a guide..

good luck and message me if you have any more questions..
  • mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Liked it; generally good recipies and now don't want/like how nauseous refined sugar makes me feel. I tried SBD because a family member was given it by their doctor to address some chronic health concerns that seemed to be leading to a heart attack and/or diabetes. Couldn't argue with that! Lost 5-ish, which is equivalent to a sack of sugar. Exercise and portion control, with choices informed by SBD, guide me now and I am very satisfied. Good luck!