Hungry When I Get Home From Work - Snack Before Workout?

Options
I work until about 5:30 or 6, but with my commute I don't get home until about 6:30 or 7. Right when I get home I like to get my workout in because if I take time to sit down and relax when I get home, the workout usually doesn't happen.

When I get home from work I usually find myself pretty hungry, and often I grab a handful of something to eat right before I workout-like cereal, crackers, bites of leftovers, a hershey's kiss (let's be honest) etc. I realize this is not ideal--I should be eating at least 30 minutes before the workout if not 1 hour, and it should be something that will fuel me better than pure carbs.

Do any of you pack a snack to eat while commuting home after work? What snack seems to work best for you? Something that I can eat with my eyes on the road would be ideal. Thanks for your suggestions!

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Mix up a smoothie to drink on your way home. I used to do that. Mix it the night before or the morning of, bring it to work and pop in the fridge... drink on the way home. I used to have a long commute and would workout when I got home and that's what I did. Or I would have a bit of a protein bar or a wrap.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Can you eat a protein bar on the way home? Then you are fueled up for your workout by the time you get home. I've always found that having one about 20-30 minutes before a workout helps.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    repost
  • tikkathyme
    tikkathyme Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    A smoothie sounds like a great idea-that way I'm also hydrating.

I tend to dislike protein bars, but probably a good idea to stash a couple in the car in case that smoothie doesn't get made the night before :)

Thanks for the suggestions!
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    A smoothie sounds like a great idea-that way I'm also hydrating.

I tend to dislike protein bars, but probably a good idea to stash a couple in the car in case that smoothie doesn't get made the night before :)

Thanks for the suggestions!

Try different bars... some are much better than others. BUt be careful as they can have a lot of calories in them. I eat them to reach my protein goals but only eat half at a time.
  • Built_Strong
    Built_Strong Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My commute to the gym after work is about an hour. It's about 3 hours from my last break so I eat a protein bar on the way. I only buy Quest bars because they dont have that horrible chocolate coating that melts and tastes awful. In other words...they carry well.
  • RobinC37
    RobinC37 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    20 Breton Mini Garden crackers and 3 Tbsp. of garlic hummus has around 200 calories, and some carbs and protein to fuel a workout. Post workout I like to eat greek yogurt.
  • mommyof3j
    mommyof3j Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Nature Valley makes these awesome Protein bars they have Peanut, Almond & Dark Chocholate so you get the best of all worlds here. They are only 190 cals. and I usually eat one if I know I'm going to do a hardcore workout, or I'll eat a 100 cal packet of almonds. Hope this helps.
  • tikkathyme
    Options
    I only buy Quest bars because they dont have that horrible chocolate coating that melts and tastes awful. In other words...they carry well.

Amen. That "chocolate" coating is disgusting. I'll keep an eye out for this brand, thanks for the suggestion.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    I like Kashi Trail Mix granola bars pre-workout. A good mix of carbs and protein that keep me fueled. Then I do something with more protein after the workout.
  • tikkathyme
    Options
    Sounds like the consensus is to eat a bar of some sort. I'll head to the store on my lunch break and pick some up. Thanks for your help!
  • 212ackley
    212ackley Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I do not have a long commute, but my classes are immediately after work, so I typically have an Apple (with a little peanut butter sometimes) about an hour before I leave for the day.
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I usually have a handful of nuts and a piece of fruit or some trail mix before I leave work, and fill up my water bottle to drink on the way home. I'm not a huge fan of bars either. They typically have a lot of sugar and I'm usually close or over my sugar goal by that time of the day from the sugars in my salad at lunch and from fruit.

It takes me about 90 minutes to get home and I start my workout as soon as I get home (I know what you mean about not stopping to relax a minute).