What was your motivation to start running?

Options

Replies

• FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    A creepy guy with his wife and child
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I woke up one day and thought "yea I can do this" when I was thinking about doing the C25K program. We had a weightloss competition at work and I wanted to add more cardio to my workouts. I mentioned it to my friends and they wanted to join. If they wouldn't have done it with me, I probably would have never completed the whole thing. But since I had them depending on me, I went and bought cold weather running stuff and new shoes and we did it! It was awesome. Now I can't stop. Just signed up for my first half marathon.

The best advice I can give you is to sign up for a 5K race in your area. Once you put money on it, you might be more inclined to stay motivated. I know it definitely helped me!
  • dbaumgarn
    dbaumgarn Posts: 111
    Options
    Sounds like you just have a lot of excuses for not running. I began running in June of 2011 and trust me I hated every second I was doing it but I did want to complete my first 5k...I may have jumped the gun a bit to soon on that one because I tried it after only running for about 2 weeks...the good news is...I finished...the bad news...I was dead last...since then I was determined to finish a 5k in 30 min or less...and so I did...my new mission...I ran a few more and so far to date I have run my fastest 5k at 27 min!! Pretty proud, yes I am! I am certainly not a speedy run but I love the feeling when I am finished. So far to date my longest run has been about 5.6 miles...it is more my own drive that wants to do this now. I started because I was getting tired of my exercise videos and wanted to get outside and enjoy the spring, summer and fall weather...I loved my morning runs...and they will happen again...I am now 27 weeks pregnant so running has turned into a very slow jog/walk..stick with it...runners get addicted to running...sounds crazy but it is true!! Soo from one non-runner to another...if you will it you will achieve it;)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Short story: Laziness. It takes so much less time to work up a sweat running than any other form of cardio for me, I basically did it to save time.

Long story: Like many people, I have a love-hate relationship with running. I have been a "jogger" on and off for many years, and it used to give me stomach cramps and was generally miserable. I came back to running after a few years off when I started going to my current gym. I overcame my contempt for treadmills and found many things to like. I live in a place with bad weather, car traffic, and air pollution. I don't have to worry about any of these things on a treadmill. I have also increased my performance steadily because the treadmill tells me exactly how fast and how far I'm running--something that would be much harder to keep track of outdoors. The running surface agrees with my legs better, and I like the comfort of being able to stop whenever I want. Having that option, I still take at least 30 min every time I get on the treadmill.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Not exactly sure why I started. I suppose I just thought it would help me look better. I simply started doing it. I went one, single block each time, at first. My distances gradually, naturally, got longer. BTW I was living in Brooklyn Park, Minnesota, at the time. So, weather is no excuse.
  • RideaYeti
    RideaYeti Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have always been a bike a rider for my aerobic workouts because I was up around 270-280 and didn't want o blow up my knees. When I got down to 220, my bike needed work and I couldn't afford to get it fixed and I needed to keep working out so I started running. I figured that since I could easily ride 40+ miles that running would be no big deal. Boy was I wrong! First time out I couldn't even run 1 mile.

I'm now training for a 10K and run 5K at lunch 3x week. Mixing it with biking has really helped keep everything fresh and fun so working out hasn't become a chore.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I think the main motivation for me was that I had never been a runner, never imagined I could do that, and in fact, when I was a kid/teenager, I was kind of the "anti" runner. I wanted to prove myself wrong.

I would wholeheartedly recommend C25k. I can't promise you will love running, but it's definitely worth a try. If you hate it (after giving it a proper try!) you can just find something you like better.

If you really want to do this, obviously you're going to have to just go and do it, and disregard all your excuses. However, I don't honestly think there's any shame in waiting until the weather improves. I'm already into it, and find it hard going in icey, snowy weather, especially with the days being shorter at the moment. If you're going to do it, you need to make a commitment to do it, but you could make the commitment to start in the spring, and you might find it easier to motivate yourself when it's a little lighter, and warmer. I'm not trying to let you off the hook, but it's an option. :)
  • joe2626
    joe2626 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm still very new to running, having only been going for a fortnight.
    I started because a friend of mine inspired me to start it up. At 6ft tall, he went from 19 stone to 13 stone using running as his main form of cardio. I used to use the static bike when I was at my heaviest but, as somebody pointed out to me, the bike holds your weight, whereas running on a treadmill makes you shift your own body-weight. I hate people seeing me exercise as i'm still really unfit and unconfident, but near where I live there are several tracks and roads that hardly ever get used which provides me with almost 'my own' running route. Best of luck with it! x
  • kaltey
    kaltey Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I always hated running as well. I started running because I was able to burn more calories in a shorter amount of time. Then a bunch or us signed up for run for your lives, and now I'm signed up for the color run at the beginning of April.
  • eoleary720
    eoleary720 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    C25k is definitely a good place to start!

About a year ago, my cousin told me about Run for Your Lives 5k and I got really pumped for it, but there was no way I could even run a mile. I started doing C25k and would complete a few weeks, then fall off the wagon and pick it up a couple weeks later. I don't think I ever actually finished the program, but I did finish two 5k races this year! C25k helped motivate me to get started, but once I got used to running regularly, I liked doing my own thing.

My best advice is when it pops in your head and the excuses start, just grab your shoes, put them on and walk out the door. Stop thinking, just go!

That works for me, because I also tend to talk myself out of things.
  • KrysGettinFit
    KrysGettinFit Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I am looking for advice from people who run now, but who were once people like me and said NEVER I WILL NEVER EVER BE A RUNNER.

I want to do the couch to 5k program because it's the first thing i've seen that made me think "Yeah, that's doable!" But I can't turn off the excuses:

"I can't run because it's winter in Wisconsin which means dangerous ice, and my neighborhood is too sketchy, and I can't join a gym because it's too expensive, and I can't use my treadmill because the downstairs neighbors will get annoyed and I can't find the key for it anyway, and I don't have time to run in the morning, and I'm too skittish to run after dark, and my ipod is broken..."

They are endless!

What's your story? How did you make the transition between Not a Runner and Runner?

I was like that. I wouldn't run unless someone was chasing me and even then it was questionable. I started with the C25K and it helped me a lot. I just had to make myself figure out how to fit it in. I started getting up earlier and running in my neighborhood (which, at 5:00 in the morning any neighborhood can be sketchy) I also joined a Planet FItness, for the sole use of the treadmills for winter. It's only $10 and you get what you pay for, but I don't care as long as I'm getting a run in. You also jus thave to start out slowly, don't push it and definitely follow the program.
    Good luck!
  • AckieJ
    AckieJ Posts: 199 Member
    Options

"I can't run because it's winter in Wisconsin which means dangerous ice, and my neighborhood is too sketchy, and I can't join a gym because it's too expensive, and I can't use my treadmill because the downstairs neighbors will get annoyed and I can't find the key for it anyway, and I don't have time to run in the morning, and I'm too skittish to run after dark, and my ipod is broken..."

OMG this is so me. In Wisconsin too. I want to start C25K too. But I have excuses just the same.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, Let me think about this.....

I was a little chubby girl, everyone told me, I couldn't run to save my life. I started running when I took martial arts but only 1 or 2 miles at a time (and I was under 30).

I actually can't define when I got serious about running. But I got talked into running in the Warrior Dash 2 years ago, I started training for that and that's all she wrote. since then I ran the Warrior Dash in 2012, another 5K and have signed up for my first ever half marathon in March. Yes, I am training for that and if you ask my husband, I'm obsessed with my training schedule and refuse to miss a day of any of it.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    From the time I was 21 until late 2011 (I was 35 then), Isaid to myself and to anyone who asks, I will never run again for the rest of my life. Then I thought, why won't I? I tried it, and I could only go 0.25 miles. I was huffing/puffing, red in the face, and thought I was dying. And I THOUGHT that I was in good shape... Then I hated that I couldn't run and so many people I knew could. That was all the motivation I needed.

15 months later, guess who just ran her first marathon on Sunday? This girl. It was 26.2 miles in pouring rain in 42 degrees, and I was frozen, numb, stumbling, but I did it. I walked less than a mile of it too. And I ran a quick 3 mile run with my running club last night. I just love it now. Not always, but when it's good, it's so good. On my running trail, miles in to it, with the perfect song on my playlist, with my breathing making my lungs feel like they are on fire, and my legs doing what they were born to do? LOVE it.

There will be a day I can no longer run. Today will not be that day :)
  • starlite_79
    starlite_79 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    my motivation was primarily my checkbook. i wanted to start exercising regularly, but did not want to fork out $30 or more per month to join a gym. heard about couch-to-5k and decided to invest in some good running shoes & give it a shot. i stopped the first time thru around week 3 or 4. picked it up again a few months later, and stopped again. the third time was the charm for me. and as i was nearing the end of the program, i actually registered for my very fist 5k. registering for that race kept me accountable for not slacking off, and ensured that i completed the program.

i now try to register for one 5k race per month, and for the same reason. always having a race on my calendar keeps me in check with my training. i'm also planning to start training for 10k distance. i was never, ever a runner before C25k, but what started as my way to get exercise as cheaply as possible has really become something i enjoy. running is great stress relief, and when i'm not stressed, it's very good "me" time. good for clearing my head, nothing to think about except my tunes and the trail (or road).
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Zombies!

No really a Zombie 5K, although I am not a runner yet just started C25K.

Same here! Well, I just got "Zombies, Run!", but I'm loving it. I'm not a runner. I'll never be a runner. I've tried, REALLY tried, C25K three times and wound up stuck on week 2 each time for over a month until I gave up. But when you hear zombie groans in your ear and someone screaming at you to run... you RUN! XD

That said, it's also really fun. I'm upset today because I won't have time to run a mission at all today and it makes me sad. I just can't wait to find out what happens next. I get off work early tomorrow though, so I should be able to then.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I was out walking one night. I weighed well over 200 pounds. I had just really started. And I decided to see if I could go faster. And to my shock I could. Only for a few seconds, but still.

So every now and then on my walks I'd bust out running as fast as I could, usually at night when no one was around because I knew I looked utterly ridiculous.

After awhile I worked my way up to a minute or two of jogging here and there, but then one day I was on the treadmill at the gym and decided to see how long I could go. Five minutes. Seems like nothing, but it was a big deal to me.

And then I had the crowning moment (so far, anyway!). Last year around Christmas I told myself as I watched the skinny people run past on this trail I used that 'this time next year, I will run this entire trail, end to end.'

The trail is about a mile. Not only did I run it end to end a few weeks ago, because I started in the middle and went up and down both sides, I ran it twice!

Now I'm trying to get ready for my first 5k no walking, all running. I'm not ready yet, but I'm getting there. In the scheme of things on this crowded, crazy planet it doesn't mean much, but it sure does mean something to me, and I"m damn proud of myself.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    The sounds of gunfire
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    The sounds of gunfire

:laugh: That would do it!
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    My husband was my motivation--I totally thought running was not for me, and he encouraged me to try it. He has run a marathon, a few half marathons, handful of 5ks :). I always thought I was too chunky to run, but he told me it was all in my head. I think we were both surprised by how I took to it :). Now, I run more regularly than he does :). I truly LOVE it (well, most days)...we live right near a gorgeous trail, so I run there. This time of year, it's always in the dark which used to ook me out, but now I'm used to it and find the cold and pretty morning sky with stars exhilerating :).