Weight Gain After Working Out....??

Options
I have been doing aerobics and walking for several months now but I also just started C25K. I have been able to keep my calories under my daily goal (my sodium may be a tad high) but I've been working out and staying "legal" so why would the scale show a gain???? I think I heard or read somewhere that you shouldn't weigh yourself for about 2 days after a good workout because muscles retain water to heal??? Can someone please shed some light on this for me?? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• pebbs80
    pebbs80 Posts: 102
    Options
    Bump... I'm having the same issue. Although I think mine is due to medication I'm now taking and may need to cut down more on carbs.. but I've gained 5 lbs in 2 weeks
  • sjeagle30
    sjeagle30 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I am dealing with this same thing right now. I started at the gym 2 weeks ago and went 4 days last week and today will be 4 days this week. I havent lost a thing. I acutally gained a pound or two. The instructor told us not to weigh ourselves for a week or so due to water retention after starting exercise. Well I waited and still show no loss :( It is depressing but at least I know I am doing something that will pay off if I keep at it. Good luck with the C25K I hear that is awesome!
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    It took me a couple weeks and a couple rest days to even out after I started working out. My understanding is that your body holds onto water to repair everything.

How much of a gain are we talking about? For me it was about 2lbs which is a normal fluctuation regardless.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    staying "legal"

what does that mean??
  • FunFitFast
    FunFitFast Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Don't forget too that you are burning fat and gaining muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat! I think body % readings are more accurate. Great job losing so much! You're awesome!
  • dnhardy
    dnhardy Posts: 59
    Options
    Your body gains and loses lots of water weight at periodic points of the month. Also when you are very sore you could be retaining water. However, I personally believe that you should still weigh yourself everyday and take an overall average from looking at your graphs on here. Continue what you are doing and weighing yourself and reevaluate in a week. Its much better that than simply not weighing yourself for 2 weeks and Woops! 8 more pounds to work off because something was off with your food or exercise
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Any changes in your exercise routine can bring changes in water retention.

We'd need to know how much you've gained over what course of time before we could offer any serious and meaningful feedback.
  • SaraRT1983
    Options
    Staying "legal" just means staying within my daily calorie goal and getting in some sort of daily exercise. :)

As far as how much have I gained.....a tad over 2 lbs. SO, SO frustrating because I was REALLY hoping to hit the 70-lb mark my this Saturday which is my 1 year anniversary of MFP!
  • dnhardy
    dnhardy Posts: 59
    Options
    Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. Fact.

Thats just a lie that people tell themselves to explain a gain when they've worked out but eaten like crap that week.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I want to live in that world where fat is replaced with an equal amount of muscle.
  • literatelier
    literatelier Posts: 209 Member
    Options

Thats just a lie that people tell themselves to explain a gain when they've worked out but eaten like crap that week.

Lol except she didn't even say that it did. She was asking if it could be water retention.
  • adyoda
    adyoda Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are eating below your BMR? If your daily calorie intake is too low , it is possible to stop losing weight , i know it souds strange but read this , they explain it better : http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • mindbodystrength
    Options
    Staying "legal" just means staying within my daily calorie goal and getting in some sort of daily exercise. :)

As far as how much have I gained.....a tad over 2 lbs. SO, SO frustrating because I was REALLY hoping to hit the 70-lb mark my this Saturday which is my 1 year anniversary of MFP!

Girl!! 68 lbs is AMAAAAZING!!! Focus on the 68 that you've lost, not the 2 that haven't lost (yet). You should be very, VERY proud of what you've accomplished!!!

New workout routines almost always result in water weight gain, and if your sodium has been high, that just makes you hold even more water. It's NOT fat, so it doesn't matter!! Lower your sodium intake, drink lots of water, and throw yourself a frigging PARTAYYYY!!!! Balloons, streamers, etc, etc....you've done great!! No reason to fret, really!! =D
  • punkahontas71
    punkahontas71 Posts: 73 Member
    Options

1lb ofr fat or 1lb of muscle is the same thing..it is just an excuse.
  • mindbodystrength
    Options

1lb ofr fat or 1lb of muscle is the same thing..it is just an excuse.

1 lb of fat or 1 lb of muscle weigh the same, but they are most definitely NOT the same thing in terms of how your body will look.

Muscle is DENSER than fat...1 lb of muscle takes up a lot less SPACE than 1 lb of fat...the weight thing is just a bad saying someone made up and people repeat it without realizing how stupid it is...but the thought behind it is true. A 140 lb muscular person looks COMPLETELY different (and wears a completely different size clothing) than a 140 lb person with not much muscle.
  • Bambers14
    Bambers14 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This happens for me too. Don't weigh yourself the day after weight training as it is true that the inflammation from the tear down of the muscles sometimes causes you to put on a tiny bit of weight. It will calm down in a day or so. If your sodium is high you will retain more water too so that could be it. If I weigh myself in the morning and the evening, I can be up to 5lbs heavier in the evening because I drink a lot of water. Don't stress too much :)
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    you should only weigh yourself 1st thing in the morning right after you pee :)

Yes, if you ahve a big workout your muscles are trying to repair themselves so will hold onto water.

I also eat a lot of carbs before/after a good long run and that can show a "gain" when I haven't.

Pick one day a week and weigh in then... don't cheat. Take pics and you'll see differences more than on the scale. guaranteed
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    you should only weigh yourself 1st thing in the morning right after you pee :)

Yes, if you ahve a big workout your muscles are trying to repair themselves so will hold onto water.

I also eat a lot of carbs before/after a good long run and that can show a "gain" when I haven't.

Pick one day a week and weigh in then... don't cheat. Take pics and you'll see differences more than on the scale. guaranteed

^^^This
  • joel3736
    joel3736 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Muscle does in fact way more than fat...FACT. However to gain a pound of fat requires a surplus of about 3500 extra calories where as it takes 2500 for a pound of muscle. But muscle DOES way more than fat.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Yeah it is most likely water weight, when ever I do my leg workouts I gain about 4lbs the next day, and it takes a couple days to go back down.